Small SUV/crossover

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
The security company at my work had to get rid of the Equinox's because of the poor reliability. They have 5 SUV's on campus and they were always having issues.

They've traded 3 of the 5 in for Escapes and said they have yet to have an issue yet, and can't wait to get rid of the final 2 Equinox's.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
VW Tiguan 4motion will not disappoint

I have to go ahead and respectfully disagree. Mom has a '16. It is loud, uncomfortable, choppy suspension, feels cheap, and is just generally a bad vehicle, IMO. They are stuck with it (as it's a lease) for 2+ years. The motor is fine, but the trans is always confused and up and down shifting for no reason (my experience with other VW products too.)

When I say feels cheap, I'm someone who has owned 4 different 90's Ford products, and 2 Panther platform cars. So I know what cheap feels like.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
:dunno:

that's the same noise ours was making before it got taken in... and that's what warranty went after.

The dreaded vtc actuator

weird. i've replaced plenty of k24 timing chains (they stretch and throw an engine light). noisy startup is a common thing when they set a cam/crank correlation code. i do the guides, tensioner, and vtc actuator and the noise/codes go away.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I have to go ahead and respectfully disagree. Mom has a '16. It is loud, uncomfortable, choppy suspension, feels cheap, and is just generally a bad vehicle, IMO. They are stuck with it (as it's a lease) for 2+ years. The motor is fine, but the trans is always confused and up and down shifting for no reason (my experience with other VW products too.)

When I say feels cheap, I'm someone who has owned 4 different 90's Ford products, and 2 Panther platform cars. So I know what cheap feels like.

What model did your mom get? Yes the base even the mid is meh but the SEAL 4motion is legit. Apparently they got a dud. Ours has been nothing more but excellent. And cheap u say PUH. Much better quality in the VW compared to any of the SUVs in the same class for the money. And I have no idea about that trans issue as we have never experienced that. And didn't your mom test drive first? And yeah the Tiguan is no plush ride. I like the stiffer suspension, my wife nor I like driving cushy rides.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
What model did your mom get? Yes the base even the mid is meh but the SEAL 4motion is legit. Apparently they got a dud. Ours has been nothing more but excellent. And cheap u say PUH. Much better quality in the VW compared to any of the SUVs in the same class for the money. And I have no idea about that trans issue as we have never experienced that. And didn't your mom test drive first? And yeah the Tiguan is no plush ride. I like the stiffer suspension, my wife nor I like driving cushy rides.

Maybe the interior quality is me...people always say that VW interiors are so nice, but every one I've ever come across feels cheap and doesn't hold up at all. They squeak and rattle like 90's GM products

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Was there something wrong with the Subaru that you're not considering going back into a forester/crosstrek/outback? Our '16 forester premium nicely optioned wasn't much over $25k

Was about to post this too, my wife loves her new forester XT, hell I think it's fun to drive, a n/a motor trim one would fit the bill nicely, but it's cool having the turbo and sportier looks/ride on the xt if she's into that

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
I like our Legacy, shit - it's been (knock on wood) almost problem free since I bough it. Just replaced the timing belt, valve cover gaskets are starting to leak (it's parked next to a 3800 so I guess it's contagious) - easy fix.
I was eyeing the 2.0XTs and then wife's cousin bought the '16 Forester. Not a big fan of the CVT or handling on those things.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I like our Legacy, shit - it's been (knock on wood) almost problem free since I bough it. Just replaced the timing belt, valve cover gaskets are starting to leak (it's parked next to a 3800 so I guess it's contagious) - easy fix.
I was eyeing the 2.0XTs and then wife's cousin bought the '16 Forester. Not a big fan of the CVT or handling on those things.

If you haven't driven the XT don't write it off just yet. It's a world of a difference from the regular 2.5i models.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info