School me on truck stuff, starting with truck tents

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
https://589fab.com/collections/colorado-canyon/products/bed-bars

This and the RTT and a locking bed cover underneath?

Or hard cap it and put an RTT on top?

Oh yeah you reminded me of one reason I wasn't hot on a lot of the RTT setups I see.... I don't have a whole lot of room to play with getting into the garage (height), and so a low rising rack like that would be required. This also means a capped build would have to not have anything substantial roof mounted.

I've seen some people modify cap lifts so they can lift the entire rack and tent off in the garage. Makes it easy to remove before and after a trip. I couldn't imagine being that guy dailying a RTT and MaxTraxx in the burbs of flatland Illinois. :bowrofl::hsugh:

Mall Terrain brah. It's a hard life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAP6ZNsLCc8

And yeah I'm definitely modifying the rafters to be able to do something like that once I figure out what I'm going to do... if ever.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
finished carpeting yesterday and got the box back in my truck. really love how it all turned out. functional and simple looking. carpet matches well enough as well.

6nAaILFh.jpg

RH2W7lmh.jpg

im going to put more of the rubber tile on the flat portion which is currently exposed plywood and call it good until i want to add more things to it.

So i found my one thread that I had forgotten about where I was going into how and why I was building my bed whatever way...

some things I've read in this thread I want to touch one- one of which is bed drawers and why i didn't go this route for my setup... the drawers would have taken away a good amount of headroom. had i gotten one of those caps where they are higher than the cab, i would have possibly been okay with this but with my cab height cap- i didn't want to lose any head room so i could sit up straight inside my bed. which if you're not sitting in your bed, whatever.

I didn't want to go with an extendzo height cab because then my truck would have been over 7' tall... my racks are over 7' tall, but if i remove them, i am just under 7' by about half an inch or so.

why's this matter? well silly shit like- i can actually stuff my truck into a lot of parking garages. it's awkward as fuck and i go slow as shit because it feels like im going to scalp my truck, but it works.

next reason i wasn't a fan of the drawers is because for how much space they take up, they leave a lot of unused space- in front of and behind the wheel well typically goes unused, or doesn't get used well, or isn't accessed easily. with my setup, i can get to both in front of and behind the wheel well and the space is still utilized.

i dont know that i've mentioned it in here, but I did sell my roof top tent, I liked it a lot, but had no room to store it, it was bulky to get 7' off the ground onto my truck, and i figured i'd rather sleep in my massive bed of my truck.

with where my fridge sits, it's actually hilariously perfect as my 6'5" ass can actually lay down with my head near the fridge, and feet towards the tailgate.

i started to lean more and more towards the "sleep in my bed" part because it's quick and easy, i can leave bedding/pillows/blankets just setup and in there... it's high and dry, and relatively secure.

i have a cheap instant coleman tent i got last year for a canoe trip. it doesn't take up much room, but for the $50 i spent, i can frisby it out of the back of my truck if i want to setup in there.

another significant portion i wanted with my bedsetup and you may as well- was for it to be quickly removed.

i can remove my fridge/platform and side box/storage thing in under 5 minutes completely by myself. fridge comes out, the platform comes out, i tilt the box towards the passenger side, disconnect the one quick connect power connection thing, and slide it out- i left a handle on the front and rear of the box so i can carry it alone.

i just had to remove it all when i broke my cap window and was glad i thought of it to be so easy.

furthermore- with the cap thing. a large majority of caps, well, most of them, really really really aren't designed to have any weight on them.

mine is, but i reaaallly paid for it. i can stand on my cap and it doesn't deflect/flex/bend or anything. most will. but again, if you're getting a cap that has a toolbox on one side and a refinforced roof, chances are it's going to be at least 2300-2500 bucks.

Full disclosure, my cap breakdown was like this:

Leer 100RCC $1629
Front sliding window $71
Tinted Windoors on the sides: $358
Toolbox option K on the driver side: $234
Lighting in toolbox and two lights in cap: $107
Thule tracks installed: $207

total $2707 plus tax equals $2896.49.

straight kick in the dick and one of the reasons i likely won't get rid of my truck. :rofl:

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yeah the ARE V I priced out I think was about $3k ish, all said and done. Can't remember. Definitely not pulling the trigger on something like that until I know I'm keeping the truck.... That's a lot of coin I'll never recoup.

I wish the bed on my truck was that big. I don't know the difference in volume between mine and yours when capped, but it must be massive. But yeah the ability to quickly and easily get things in and out and converted is a pretty big must, seems like you did a pretty good job to address that with yours. Whether a cap or a rack, I'm going to rig a lift in the rafters, so that's not too big of a deal I don't think. Things like fitting in the garage, or being able to dress it up or down easily are pretty important.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ARE didn't even make one for my truck :rofl: i wanted to price one out and they were like :nope:

yeah my bed is massive, it's hilarious and it's spoiled me. while we were moving i had that rental baby dick bed f150 and would fill it so quickly

and right- you get what im saying for sure, having it modular and easy is huge.

i wish i had a quick easy way to get my cap off but oh well.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I camp a lot in camp grounds and have never had anything stolen out of my tent or truck, we bring a lot of stuff food boating things 2 coolers, there’s 4 of us so lots of blankets pots pans things to work on the truck and boat I’ve had tires blow out so a full size jack, anyway my bed is packed front to back floor soft topper and I have to put some stuff in the boat for transport, there is no way I’d do a bed tent or even attempt to sleep in the bed of the truck, it’s our storage while camping all the food stays in it, if not raccoons will eat all your stuff while your sleeping

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I also entertained the idea of the bed rug, but I haul a lot of dirty outdoor stuff and leaky salt bags, and don't need its particular utility, but that would be another good option. If not any of the above, I was just going to get some hitch crap and D rings... stuff I know I will definitely be using anyway.

also, bed rugs are super durable...
[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] will likely vouch as well i think.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yup, big fan thus far. We have the full insert

So much nicer crawling around back there.... Easy to slide stuff around but the carpet also grips some stuff. Weird to explain. The only issue we has is we managed to tear ours in one spot thanks to a heavy item that had a sharp corner that was in the truck for like two weeks. Its a small tear and you have to look for it to know its there.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Yup, big fan thus far. We have the full insert

So much nicer crawling around back there.... Easy to slide stuff around but the carpet also grips some stuff. Weird to explain. The only issue we has is we managed to tear ours in one spot thanks to a heavy item that had a sharp corner that was in the truck for like two weeks. Its a small tear and you have to look for it to know its there.

How do they hold up to the wet? Do they seem to dry pretty quickly?

I was considering one but worried that with the roll up cover any leaks are going to stay damp and get mildewy and stink.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yeah they have ones that go over the spray in. My concerns were along the lines of what Muskie said. I do like bed rugs a lot though, they're neat things.

SO LUXURIOUS

Those photos are a year old, when it was brand new, btw

Since I'm too lazy to go look at your thread again, what tonneau did you go with? I need to find one that will work with the low rise type rack like 589's. I think this might rule out a lot of the hard ones.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah they have ones that go over the spray in. My concerns were along the lines of what Muskie said. I do like bed rugs a lot though, they're neat things.

Since I'm too lazy to go look at your thread again, what tonneau did you go with? I need to find one that will work with the low rise type rack like 589's. I think this might rule out a lot of the hard ones.

77b0f9112daf5382da5fbd3b23c95933.jpg

Also a fan. I prefer the look of the fabric. We get a small amount of water in the corners when it rains a lot, which may be install issues, but thats fine. I wanted to go for the rolling hard cover but too much coin. I also like the low profile of the PROx15. Its easy to pull the cover so you can have full depth of the bed if needed, side rail removal is like uninstalling the cover though so I wouldn't do that.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
You may need to modify any cover to work with a bed rack. I know for the Tacoma’s someone makes brackets that you can mount the rack to that leave room for the Rollup or hard covers. Maybe something exists for the Colorado?

I’ve got an Access Lorado that is very low profile. Most of their covers seem to mount to the bed rails so you could probably make a rack fit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info