• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

Putting the GTO under the knife again - The Mod voices are talking to me again

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
It took a few tries but the front brakes are finally bleed. It wasn't difficult, just took patience; bleed, drive, bleed, drive a total of 3 times. At first the pedal was very spongy and when I slammed on the brakes not much happened. Once I pumped them a few times it stopped. I repeated this procedure 3 times and the third time was the charm. It stops with a vengeance now.

The alignment is set to the 'eyeball' now. I have a little negative camber in the front. A friend of mine bought this: https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/shop/quickslide-elite-series/ and we are going to try it out on the GTO next week.

After the first few drives I am very satisfied with the results. I am still tweaking the shocks for the best balance and settled on 1/2 turn from full soft in front and 3/4 turn from full soft in the rear. Full firm it STIFF, great for a track but not on our roads. Turn in is sharp with a slight delay when first turning in. I believe this will be rectified with a correct alignment.

The Koni/Lovell combination fits perfect with my goal for the car.

The GRMM shifter is a MAJOR improvement over the B&M, that alone made all the work worth it.

I should get the rear brakes and harrop cover done in the next few days. That will cover the GTO for now. I wanted to do the headers but will wait.

The next project on the list is the transmission, shocks/struts and IRS swap in my son's 2001 Bullitt. He has been helping me with the GTO so I need to return the favor. He has Koni adjustables, 2003 Cobra IRS with 3:55 gears and all poly bushings for his car. I am anxious to get this done, I know it will completely transform his car.

Once we have our suspensions sorted out then time for more power. :)

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 121

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Are you just doing the front for alignment? If so, any shop should be able to handle it. Or both front and rear? If rear also, you will need to find a place that has the alignment tool for the rear of these cars. Not to many shops have them. Locally, I believe Jeff (Bohnman) had one, but I could be wrong on that.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I am just looking for an alignment. I was planning to do it myself so I can try different settings with camber, caster and toe. I like to try different settings and this could be a good way to experiment. If I'm not successful then I'll take it in. I'll try Jeff first if I do take it in. I met him a few times and he does excellent work.

Thanks,

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If it's just the front, you should be able to do it without issue. Although I believe there is a special tool for the front also, but isn't necessary.

The rear, different story. Also, you're not putting any poly bushings in, are you? If so, that's when people have had problems with that tool.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Quick update on the suspension. I put about 2,000 miles on it since I completed the front suspension. I have a friend who offered to put the car on his alignment rack where he works so I ended up going that route.

Here is how we have it set:
Front:
Camber -.8
Caster +9.75
Toe -.05mm

Rear
Camber -1.5 (Lovells 20mm drop springs)
Toe .00

I keep the Shocks in the rear at 1 1/4 turn from full soft and the fronts are 1 turn from full soft. This setup seems to suit my needs.

I took my wife on a road trip so I dialed the suspension full soft. It still handled great but I prefer the stiffer settings for aggressive driving.

Now that I am driving a lot I decided to swap the stock head unit and went with a Pioneer unit which supports Apple Car Play. This was a much needed, and appreciated, improvement in interior sound quality.

Next up:

I really need tires, the Falken Azenis have 15K miles on them and are starting to look like slicks. I am going to try the Firestone Firehawk Indy tires. The guy who did my alignment is ordering them for me. I hope to have them in the next few days.

I'm not sure if I'll do this before winter, I am thinking I'll wait. This way I have some 'car' stuff I can do over the cold winter slumber.

Harrop cover (I have it, just need to install it)
Long tubes and high flow cats (I have them, need motivation)
Hotchkis sway bars.
Fast ratio steering rack if I can find one...

Enjoy the Drive!

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Dat rear camber.

Love all your plans for the car. I need some new rear tires too. Have loved the Hankook ventus v12's.

I have the hotchkis sways. Good choice there.

Good luck on the fast ratio rack :rofl: even finding a reman oem unit at this point that isnt junk is a pain in the dick. Ask me how i know.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Dat rear camber.

Love all your plans for the car. I need some new rear tires too. Have loved the Hankook ventus v12's.

I have the hotchkis sways. Good choice there.

Good luck on the fast ratio rack :rofl: even finding a reman oem unit at this point that isnt junk is a pain in the dick. Ask me how i know.

-1.5 is a bit much for the street but I don't put a ton of miles on the car. I need to figure out the right tire pressure to run so the inside edges of the tires last a bit longer. I don't think I can do anything to get closer to -1 without changing springs.

What springs are you running?

Did you install the front sway bar? I'm trying to figure out a way to do it without lowering the cradle but I don't see a way. I'm open to any advice.

As for the rack that is a needle in a haystack. I am planning to contact flaming river to see if they are willing to do something. I figure if that happens there are a lot of GTO owners looking for a fast rack, or even a good stock one.

The one drawback to the GTO is some of the LHD specific parts are scarce. I question why I keep the car but then I drive it and surprise folks who think all it can do is go straight. [emoji2]

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Im running Pedders springs. I think 0.5" drop in the front, and I cant remember if i went w/ the 0 drop rears or the ones w/ a slight raise. I was always worried about rubbing w/ the rear tires.

As far as the sways, I didnt install myself. I amassed all these parts

KcC04sO.jpg

Then took it a speed shop and said PUT THOSE IN HERE and walked away. :rofl: So Im afraid im not much help there.

If you do find a solution to that rack, please do let me know. There are 2 things I dislike about my GTO. #1 happened when i got my Focus ST, and that was the steering. The rack in the GTO is sooooo outdated compared to modern cars. #2 happened when I traded the ST and got the 235i, and thats the seating position. I get in the GTO and feel like im sitting on the damn roof. I've wanted new seats for this car for a long time now, just have never pulled the trigger. I dont hate the seats, they are super comfortable. But you do sit way too high, and they just dont hug you well enough.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I completely agree with the slow steering and poor seating position.

I will also add the pedal placement is not good for heel/toe style of driving. I installed a larger gas pedal on mine to fix that issue.

I have a great set of seats in the 911, since I am selling that car I took the seats out. I was going to put them in the GTO and see if that helps. I love the comfort of the stock seats but their position is a bit awkward.

As for the steering that has always been my biggest gripe. I haven't driven a Focus ST so I am not sure about the steering. My son's Bullitt has way better steering than the GTO.

I'd like to check out your car but it looks like you are in AZ so I assume you don't make it to the cars and coffee.

I'll let you know what happens when I talk with Flaming River. I am hopeful they will have an answer to improve the steering.

I bet your first corner with the new suspension was an eye opening experience. I often wish I did my in one stop but it went a bit at a time. While I felt improvements along the way I never had the WOW moment.

Attachments

• IMG_4907.jpg
    IMG_4907.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 92

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I am still on the stock 17" rims with 245/45-17. I am trying to stay with the square stance so I can rotate front/back due to the negative camber I have in the rear. I wouldn't mind a wider tire for the rear to aid in traction but I know they will never clear the struts in front.

So for those of you running the Hankook Venus v12 evo2s what sizes are you running? I see they have a 255/40-17 but I doubt that little bit more would help with putting the power down.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I run a staggered fitment on 18s. I went 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. I opted not to go 275 as I didn't want to fight the big fight on tire clearance. 265s left plenty of room with minor trimming. I'd consider 275s next time provided they aren't from a brand that runs extremely wide.

My Dad still runs 17s with stock size on his GTO due to the rotations. Honestly I don't drive enough miles to even sweat it (currently averaging 3k per year). If its that big of a deal you could have the tires flipped on the rims. The Evos are directional so you can't go left to right either.

https://flic.kr/p/YnV2L7

https://flic.kr/p/Yqxec8

PS here is my alignment sheet:

TlWnxmx.jpg

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...175-when-knowing-guy-isnt-always-awesome.html

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I have sways waiting to go in. From what I have read the front isn't worth the fort but the rear totally is...

I am running Pedders 3/8 drop in the front and 1/2 in the rear .

Another vote for Hankook Venus v12 evo2s

I think the issue with the front is that it's a PITA because you have to drop the front subframe a little to work it out.

Not that the rear is much easier. I did an SLP one.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I'd like to check out your car but it looks like you are in AZ so I assume you don't make it to the cars and coffee.

I bet your first corner with the new suspension was an eye opening experience. I often wish I did my in one stop but it went a bit at a time. While I felt improvements along the way I never had the WOW moment.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think I'll be making it out to this weekends event.....or any subsequent one after that :rofl:

And after I did the all the suspension at once it was like a COMPLETELY different car. It's the way this thing shouldve come from the factory.

I am running Pedders 3/8 drop in the front and 1/2 in the rear .

Oh yeah, that's what I have in the front, 3/8" drop, not .5 :pat: Its been so long since they went in I can never remember. The suspension was the first thing I did to this car after I bought it. 9 years ago.

I run a staggered fitment on 18s. I went 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. I opted not to go 275 as I didn't want to fight the big fight on tire clearance. 265s left plenty of room with minor trimming. I'd consider 275s next time provided they aren't from a brand that runs extremely wide.

Yup, thats exactly the sizes I run too. I always think about going up to a 275 also, but really, the hankooks provide plenty of grip for my power level, and with the driving I do, 265's are plenty.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
So I decided to do one more mod before winter storage. I went with the X-Air OTR that Jeff Bohnman sells. Since the weather has been nice I was able to get the car out some. I did a few runs from 60-Up and it is noticeable.

As soon as the snow flies I plan to start on the headers, diff cover, rear brake lines & pads, sway bars and maybe a bit more to the motor.

I cleaned out the garage and redid my floor. I am doing a second shed this weekend so I can get the rest on the non car related stuff out of the garage. This will give me a nice clean work area for the winter months.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

410ebc49d21b1a181677c1dc56fb6280.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info