PSA: BCBS IL no longer accepted at CVS

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Correct you can just call either pharmacy to have them transferred. Itd be easier to just go to your local walgreens and let them know you are transferring over. And have your insurance card handy. A lot of walgreens, as in all of them, have a decent to huge increase in patients right now because of new insurance reasons, like Tricare. So going right now early in the year may not be the best experience, but walgreens is being swamped with so many new patients. The time needed for each one to register can take a little but of time. But the company has of course prepped themselves for all this and all stores should be able to handle the increase and are prepared to register new patients and or put in updated insurances. Walgreens also has text notifications to let you know when your script is ready and a sick ass app for you to download for free. Which has all your prescriptions on it, the info of each, a picture, and if its ready to be refilled and or picked up. The ppo and hmo issue Im not entirely sure, a pharm. tech. can look into better, and actually would only know if the medication will be covered once they run it through insurance.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
Not all HCSC BCBSIL plans are affected. I have the blue advantage hmo plan, and that is still accepted by CVS.

It also does not affect Medicare & Medicaid plans. But all others are affected. This also applies to CVS's in Target. So this is what my BCBS of IL rep told me, "Well essentially CVS wanted more money out of BCBS of IL/Prime Therapeutics, so we told them to pound sand." I have been telling my clients, we will see how long this lasts. But in the meantime, Walgreens signed an agreement with BCBS of IL that if a doctor writes an Rx for a 3 month supply, then you will get charged 2 or 2.5 x your 30 day supply (depending on your plan).

The reason that HMO's, Medicare, & Medicaid are not affected is because they are managed care systems & if CVS wants to be in a network, the insurance carrier/Rx provider has to allow them.

I told my clients at their renewal meetings but don't think about posting here.

Sorry guys!!

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Good thing I don't use cvs. I would if there was one closer. Because the walgreens by me sucks donkey balls. Always takes forever. Even for things they don't have to actually fill. Ex. Epi pins

Depends on manufacturer supply/ordering availability. If youre the only 1 getting epi pens a month, ordering them could have its issues. Or on the other hand, if youre 1 of 25 people getting the pen, well its first prescribe first pick up.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Depends on manufacturer supply/ordering availability. If youre the only 1 getting epi pens a month, ordering them could have its issues. Or on the other hand, if youre 1 of 25 people getting the pen, well its first prescribe first pick up.

I don't really understand you're point. It doesn't make any sense with my personal experience at that specific store. Any and every thing I've ever had filled has been 2hours min

Are you saying they don't have them and they have to get them from some other place?

Is that why if I drop off the script it takes 2-3 hours?

Or are you saying there's always the day I go 25 people getting the same script at the same place at the same time as me?

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
A 2 to 3 hour wait time is ridiculous. If you say you want to wait they should put you as a waiter and you should be out within a half hour or less. If they say they can fill your script and have the pen in stock, then theyre not bumping you up in line as a waiter. I dont know how often they go through pens there. But if theyre OOS then it gets delivered the next day from manufacturer to the store and filled.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
A 2 to 3 hour wait time is ridiculous. If you say you want to wait they should put you as a waiter and you should be out within a half hour or less. If they say they can fill your script and have the pen in stock, then theyre not bumping you up in line as a waiter. I dont know how often they go through pens there. But if theyre OOS then it gets delivered the next day from manufacturer to the store and filled.

I've never waited over a day. But it's every time any script.

Example: back in November I had to take my mom to the dr. Took us over a hour since they sent in the script. Waited in line outside since my mom couldn't walk. Maybe another 20 min. Asked for scripts said it would be another 30 min. We went to lunch and then returned.

Something is up with that place. It's horrible 99% of the time. I've called corporate and nothing has changed.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
It does depend on how fast the doctor sends it over. Or if theres something wrong with the medication like how many to take, how to take it, if it can be taken with anything else. And waiting for a doctor to call back or fax back takes forever. They obviously have their work going on sometimes its easier for the patient to call the doctor and bitch rather than the pharmacy. Because oh its just a pharmacy, not their patient calling.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
It does depend on how fast the doctor sends it over. Or if theres something wrong with the medication like how many to take, how to take it, if it can be taken with anything else. And waiting for a doctor to call back or fax back takes forever. They obviously have their work going on sometimes its easier for the patient to call the doctor and bitch rather than the pharmacy. Because oh its just a pharmacy, not their patient calling.

One was a z pack so nothing to do. The other was something they had to count out. I'm sure they fill hundreds of scripts per day. But it always seems like it sorry it will be x hours before you get it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info