Oh, The sad reality as time marches on. :-(

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
uh... no, but i did do quite a bit of research on this stuff last year.

The thing is that back in the day there were so many engine, trans and rear end combos. The faster drag cars were rare combos hence why they currently fetch big dollars. Plus without emissions and safety regulations like we currently have in place, you could push the envelope. The modern equivalent would be like a Mustang Cobra Jet, which is a factory built car running 8's. It isn't street legal but would have been in the 60's. That goes to show how much technology has progressed.

Most of the cars weren't very fast due to tire technology at the time and how horsepower was calculated (gross vs. net).

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2013/08/13/Horsepower

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I about collapsed at the MCACN show a couple years ago when they had 5-6 of them there together out of the 14 that were made.

1458609_635022504855_808896253_n.jpg

620781_634921013245_1039458816_o.jpg

yeah i used to push one of the really really good ones around last year occasionally for photos.

k thanks

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
That same Dodge Charger with the 426 Hemi could have also been ordered with a 225 Slant Six. The 'fast' cars then where super fast compared to the slow cars. And when the musclecars went away, the stuff in the mid-70's would make you cry. It been slowly improving since then. :)

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
All the old guys talk about their old cars being fast because all they had to compare them to was what they drove next to back in the day. 14's with old ass technology seems cool to me. Oh and my dad had a 69 Chevelle SS with an L88. He talk about just straight embarrassing cars by like 8 car lengths + back then.
Not to mention tons of people back then never left their muscle car stock. Holley was huge back then and you could go to their place and have them "race tune" your car for free if you slapped a Holley sticker on your ride.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
My Dad bought a new 68 Chevelle, 396, 4 speed.
He always said 14's were quick back then.

Cars of today just all out scream, its awesome! Course I'd love to have that 68, how fun.

14's were quick for a stock street car. But install headers, retune the carb, suspension and slicks and they would run 11's. My boss and a buddy has a 67 and 69 Z/28 that was a national record holder in one of the stock classes. So even a 302 was able to get into the 11's. Granted not in full street trim.

L88

11.44 without going into the motor, on stock size tires and wheels, full weight... ..

ya... old cars suck :rolleyes:

I love that class, don't get me wrong. But that is far from a "showroom stock" car. But does show what potential these engines have with stock casting heads, intake, exhaust manifolds and so on.

But then again, now a days a NHRA stock class 302 rated at 235hp runs well into the 10's. Yes, not a fair comparison but just an example of what drag racers can do to get the most out of a combo versus your typical guy on a thursday night test and tune session.

one of the coolest parts about this car, was an original story I saw, that they pulled it, with a wagon, with the original owner working the brakes of the 'vette, while his wife dragged the vette with the wagon :rofl:

There were no SUV back then. If you owned a pick up truck you probably were using it for work. So station wagons were very common for tow vehicles. Add a hitch and two wheel dolly or modify the bumper of your car and drag it by that.

I don't believe the guy was fixing the brakes while towing the car with a dolly. Sounds like a "tall tale" to me.

Old junk will always be cooler than new junk

The styling just can't be repeated. These cars didn't have the bulkiness of today. The front and rear ends are much smaller on the older cars. Hard to make a slick and smooth looking front end when you are forced to have the whole front end closed off for aerodynamics.

4a6515bb05.jpg

I about collapsed at the MCACN show a couple years ago when they had 5-6 of them there together out of the 14 that were made.

I am amazed more car people I know go to this event. The event has gotten incredibly rare, low production cars to feature. Stuff you normally do not see. A couple years ago I had only seen a handful of aero cars at car shows and cruise nights. They had several dozens of then. Insane what that show brings together.

I remember reading about a factory drag team that was acid dipping all the body panels to lighten it up, they got caught when a tech inspector leaned on the car and the quarter panel caved in lol

Mopar was probably the best with that. Along with fender and bumpers being made of thin aluminum. It is cool to hear stories from the engineers and "skunk works" building one off cars to street race in Detroit. Trying to get the locals to think that if they bought a car it would do the same thing. But those were such bad ass ringer cars. lmao

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
14's were quick for a stock street car. But install headers, retune the carb, suspension and slicks and they would run 11's. My boss and a buddy has a 67 and 69 Z/28 that was a national record holder in one of the stock classes. So even a 302 was able to get into the 11's. Granted not in full street trim.

I love that class, don't get me wrong. But that is far from a "showroom stock" car. But does show what potential these engines have with stock casting heads, intake, exhaust manifolds and so on.

But then again, now a days a NHRA stock class 302 rated at 235hp runs well into the 10's. Yes, not a fair comparison but just an example of what drag racers can do to get the most out of a combo versus your typical guy on a thursday night test and tune session.

There were no SUV back then. If you owned a pick up truck you probably were using it for work. So station wagons were very common for tow vehicles. Add a hitch and two wheel dolly or modify the bumper of your car and drag it by that.

I don't believe the guy was fixing the brakes while towing the car with a dolly. Sounds like a "tall tale" to me.

The styling just can't be repeated. These cars didn't have the bulkiness of today. The front and rear ends are much smaller on the older cars. Hard to make a slick and smooth looking front end when you are forced to have the whole front end closed off for aerodynamics.

4a6515bb05.jpg

I am amazed more car people I know go to this event. The event has gotten incredibly rare, low production cars to feature. Stuff you normally do not see. A couple years ago I had only seen a handful of aero cars at car shows and cruise nights. They had several dozens of then. Insane what that show brings together.

Mopar was probably the best with that. Along with fender and bumpers being made of thin aluminum. It is cool to hear stories from the engineers and "skunk works" building one off cars to street race in Detroit. Trying to get the locals to think that if they bought a car it would do the same thing. But those were such bad ass ringer cars. lmao

you misunderstood me/i said it wrong...

working the brakes as in actually pressing the brakes of the car to keep it from ramming the wagon.

there was a photo of it too.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I really want to get into these old cars but parts for them are getting more rare and I don't want to deal with the inevitable rusting and wearing of everything.
I actually think the opposite is happening, there are so many companies making reproduction parts these days. OPG, AMD, TA performance, etc.

15 years ago I had to hunt for an oem oil pump for my Buick, now TA performance makes a completely new casting that flows more and better than stock all for a reasonable price. Same thing with a grille for it. 70 was a 1 year only grille/bumper and a cracked stocker was selling for easily a grand. Now OPG makes a reproduction for $500

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
i dont know what you're arguing :rofl:

it was bought from the factory... what's your lame-dick argument for the hemi cars?

not giving credit, where credit is due in these old cars that ripped and actually made power is dumb. :rofl:

Yeah but that's the exception that proves the rule. By and large most muscle cars kind of sucked. Maybe not for their time but now? Almost certainly.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I actually think the opposite is happening, there are so many companies making reproduction parts these days. OPG, AMD, TA performance, etc.

15 years ago I had to hunt for an oil pump for my Buick, now TA performance makes a completely new casting that flows more and better than stock all for a reasonable price. Same thing with a grille for it. 70 was a 1 year only grille/bumper and a cracked stocker was selling for easily a grand. Now OPG makes a reproduction for $500

Mix in 3d printing and I bet you'll see a lot more people making parts

15 years ago I had to hunt for an oil pump for my Buick, now TA performance makes a completely new casting that flows more and better than stock all for a reasonable price. Same thing with a grille for it. 70 was a 1 year only grille/bumper and a cracked stocker was selling for easily a grand. Now OPG makes a reproduction for $500

You might have something there.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Not surprised by the minivan thing. As already said I'd be curious to see if they could pass muster with some good A/T tires as per a typical car these days. If you look at what the Roadkill guys do they got beat out a lot by a Kia Rio of all things. That should tell you something.

If you appreciate an old car for what it is, they're great. If you want lumbar support, Bluetooth and a built in screen expect to mod the fuck out of it or look elsewhere. Expect to have to work on SOMETHING now and again regardless.

My Lemans is by its self an experience to drive. It's not sophisticated or even super refined for that matter. It is however a simple driving experience of an era largely past.

I do agree on the brakes being scary as fuck (hence the LS1 Camaro stuff up front) and the handling is far from great (hell, I don't have power steering) but there's an awesome aftermarket that corrects a great deal of that.

Another thing to remember is gross vs net HP. A car that looked really good numbers wise in the 60s is not the same animal as a car of today. A lot of the higher end stuff was countered by reduced HP ratings for sanctioning bodies and insurance companies but a basic 350 V8 like my Lemans was rated at 250HP in 71 (gross) and 160HP in 72 (net) with little change.

ED:I wanted to say that the sounds and feels of an old car are something I don't feel that a new car (even a performance one) has really replicated fully. I went up to the Car Craft Nationals this year, and the wifey went in a rented Camaro SS Convertible. The acceleration is smooth and quiet. I would go as far as to say sterile even, my Volvo has more V8 rumble and feels better accelerating even if is significantly slower. Although this isn't the same for every newer car, I suspect a lot are like that. It's the reason why a lot of people are trying to emulate the sensation through things like putting a speaker in a car to make vroom vroom noises.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Suck in what way

Handling, speed, braking, overall performance, gas mileage. Pretty much pick any metric but looks (which are objective) and muscle cars are generally terrible. The only time they don't suck is when people compare them to other more pedestrian vehicles of the same vintage but you don't grade cars like that. You compare them to what's available now.

My buddy's dad's Chevelle sums it up perfectly. It's a fat pig that handles like shit, can't stop, isn't comfortable, isn't fast and gets horrible gas mileage. I mean I appreciate the cars for what they were. I'd just never want to own one unless it had been modernized which is what a lot of people do now. They're making them competent handling cars.

I just don't get the old guy "back in my day cars were better" mentality. No. Back in your day cars were shit but that's ok. It's been 40 years. It stands to reason technology would advance just a bit. It's as an absurd an argument to make as if someone in the 60's complained that modern cars were terrible and the model T was from a time when cars were really cars! :rofl:

We're living in a time where you can truly have it all though. There are a slew of cars that stop well, handle well, are fast and get respectable gas mileage. BMW nutswinger content in 3... 2... 1... My e60 535 and to an even greater extent, the 335, are cars that did everything well. Hell, even the current gen 335 pops off a 13.3 1/4 mile bone stock with a 32mpg highway rating. That's a light tailwind away from 12s in a car that makes no compromises.

Now knowing you can have that, why would you want a car that makes nothing but compromises? For looks?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info