November Truck/SUV ebay/craiglist finds

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Only advantage is for fleets who can't get gasoline/diesel to their work sites so they just dig a hole. Lol

If the filling stations got into the sub $2,000 range I could justify it. Could get a bi-fuel truck for distance driving when going out of range is a probability, and a CNG only Honda Civic GX for a work commute. The GX's are cheap because of their limited range (200ish miles/fill) and being dedicated to CNG.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
And there probably never will be again.

Only advantage is for fleets who can't get gasoline/diesel to their work sites so they just dig a hole. Lol

looks like you can get it in the plains states for around 1.30-1.70... so if you were around there it'd make more sense.

Average Prices

Figure with a home filling station, natural gas in our area is selling at roughy 36 cents/therm. One therm is the equivalent of 100,000 BTU's of energy. One gallon of regular gasoline with 10% ethanol is rated at 111,800 BTU's of energy. You're paying roughly 40 cents/ GGE for natural gas at your house. Considering a $2.00/gallon cost of gasoline (currently 2.05 in my area) you would need to use 3,214 gallons of gas/ GGE CNG to offset a $4,500 cost of the home filling station.

Now, consider that filling station was $2,000... I could offset that cost in under a year, and most "normal" drivers could do so in under two. Not a horrible prospect IMO.

At an average of 15mpg in a vehicle, you would need to drive 48,000 miles to offset that cost. I put 54,000 on my truck last year. Assuming HALF of those miles (realistically far more) could've been used filling from home, I could be at a break even point in 2 years.

Too bad I don't keep cars that long :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Sorry for the total nerd out, I like the prospect of alt. fuels. It's all dollars and cents at the end of the day. At cost equivalency I would consider it for environmental benefit, but, the price savings would really get the juices flowing. Until then, I'll stick to my fossil fuel.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
1994 Chevrolet K2500 SILVERADO 4X4 ONLY 59K ORIGINAL LOW MILES!
00B0B_f30dPGc5N4a_600x450.jpg

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
anyone have anything against this? My sister really wants to get into a SUV and trade in her 2007 Monte. She doesn't want to pay anything basically.

Used 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LS for sale in Crystal Lake, IL 60014 - Kelley Blue Book

I had one I bought at 30k miles and traded in with 165k, I would've kept it but chevy incentives and it needed $2,000 worth of just maintenance on the suspension, I loved it gas mileage was crap but that I6 is a good engine and I only replaced a fuel sending unit and a thermostat in the 6 years I owned it. Would recommend.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
what is the attraction to a CNG vehicle?

Cheaper to run (depending on region/ home fill station) and a much cleaner burning fuel.

Around here if your only option is to fill at a CNG station, you're spending more than gasoline. However, with a home filling station you're spending the equivalent of roughly 40 cents/ gallon.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
and sweet range. :rofl:

that jeep can go 800 miles :fyws:

Yup. Range between both systems is awesome. Downside is the big ass tanks in the way lol. That's why I like the pickup truck application. With an 8' bed, you still have a decent amount of room vs. that Yukon where you essentially have cut your usable cargo area down to nothing.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Makes me wonder why the CNG Honda Civics have such dismal CNG range. Assuming HALF that 800 mile range in the Jeep is on CNG with what looks to be relatively small tanks, why do the Civics only have a 250 mile range with what I would assume to be double the fuel efficency...

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Cheaper to run (depending on region/ home fill station) and a much cleaner burning fuel.

Around here if your only option is to fill at a CNG station, you're spending more than gasoline. However, with a home filling station you're spending the equivalent of roughly 40 cents/ gallon.

and these home refueling stations cost how much???

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
anyone have anything against this? My sister really wants to get into a SUV and trade in her 2007 Monte. She doesn't want to pay anything basically.

Used 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LS for sale in Crystal Lake, IL 60014 - Kelley Blue Book

My parents had to have the trans rebuilt around 90K. Within the past few years, had to have the rear AC lines replaces as there was a leak +$600.00. they just did the trans hoses, non-4wd so it was an "easy" job still +$700.00. the 3rd brake light bar fell off, cant just replace the bar you need to replace the whole rear glass supposedly. less room than a Burban, and about the same gas mileage. they have 137k on it now, motor is still strong. i think they have a small exhause leat in the mainfold.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
are the civic's not dual fule then? CNG only?

Correct. The Civic GX is CNG Only.

That's not to say you couldn't put the system on a gasoline powered car, but, considering you can buy Civic GX's with miles in the low 100,000 range for under $3,000 the cost of the system would just about double the cost of the car.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
This one's newer, has less miles and is a long bed... Also bi-fuel. Enticed.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ctd/5860498589.html

Weird thing is these trucks are selling around the price of regular old gas ones... Wonder if you could buy one of these and put the complete system up on an alt. fuel forum and walk away with a 100,000 mile 3/4 ton truck that's 3 years old for like $15,000

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info