New vehicle purchase! Version I go electric! (MikeK is jelly)

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Very nice, love these things. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why this and not a 3?

I waited for the Model 3 to come out before making my choice. Once I saw that the price was 60k for the 3 it made the choice easier. Then once I saw they would not have any screen in front of you, only 1 smaller one off to the side, that was the deal breaker for me.

I wanted the Model S from the beginning. I liked all the cool features. The retracting door handles, the giant screen, the new style seats etc.

All of the above was missing on the Model 3. And for 60k I could not justify that amount on their ā€œaffordableā€ Tesla for the masses. And I was not willing to wait over a year for a car. 3 months was long enough

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That's awesome. Congrats man. I love the new white interior and it looks like they re-designed the rear seats too.

The good news is that the newer screen the 3 is apparently getting is now making it's way into the S. You likely have the new center screen with the newer Intel CPU instead of the Nvidia Tegra the older cars had. I think the cut off is literally last month so you're right there. You should check.

That is theoretically going to make maps a lot better once they activate the vector based maps that are in the firmware but not used on the S.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That's awesome. Congrats man. I love the new white interior and it looks like they re-designed the rear seats too.

The good news is that the newer screen the 3 is apparently getting is now making it's way into the S. You likely have the new center screen with the newer Intel CPU instead of the Nvidia Tegra the older cars had. I think the cut off is literally last month so you're right there. You should check.

That is theoretically going to make maps a lot better once they activate the vector based maps that are in the firmware but not used on the S.

I have the new system I barley made it. People were pissed on the forums. People have been refusing delivery over it

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I have the new system I barley made it. People were pissed on the forums. People have been refusing delivery over it

I kind of don't blame them. That's a big change. Part of me loves that Tesla is always changing things throughout the run but another part of me wishes they'd stick to standard model years.

i feel like this shit happens across the board though with other large manufacturers.... just since tesla has so many fanboi's they notice.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea this one was kind of a kick in the pants. I mean if your car was build on 2/27 it didnā€™t have the update, but then on 2/28 it would have had the updated mcu? Doesnā€™t make sense. Really does screw over a lot of people. I expect Tesla to come out with a retrofit later in the year due to the backlash over it

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
i feel like this shit happens across the board though with other large manufacturers.... just since tesla has so many fanboi's they notice.

Fair point but it's not quite an apples to apples comparison because with the frequency of changes in Tesla's line you can order your car and then have something major change in the 6 - 8 weeks between the time you ordered it and it was delivered.

Generally those are the people that get upset and I don't blame them. It's happened with battery upgrades, autopilot and most recently I believe it happened when they bundled all the premium features into one package and made air suspension standard on the S. Some of those people had $5,000 - $10,000 discrepancies in their vehicle price based on what they ordered and what they could have ordered and Tesla's response is generally too bad. Forfeit your deposit and order a new car. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
At the end of the day itā€™s working for Tesla right now. Because there is no alternative. Do you want a luxury vehicle thatā€™s electric with all this tech? Well it doesnā€™t exist currently besides Tesla. In the future however, them pissing off consumers and saying tough shit wonā€™t work with Porsche, BMW, and Audi all have comparable vehicles

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Donā€™t get into an accident with the car or you wonā€™t see it back for 3 to 6 months. The biggest issue with these cars is getting parts into the body shop. I have had one in the shop for almost 6 months because of parts and if this was a normal car it would have been donā€™t in a week. The way Tesla makes you order parts is crazy and thenjt takes forever to get the parts. As mentioned Tesla loves to make design changes whenever they feel like so a lot of times when i order something it will come in wrong because or a random design change

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Donā€™t get into an accident with the car or you wonā€™t see it back for 3 to 6 months. The biggest issue with these cars is getting parts into the body shop. I have had one in the shop for almost 6 months because of parts and if this was a normal car it would have been donā€™t in a week. The way Tesla makes you order parts is crazy and thenjt takes forever to get the parts. As mentioned Tesla loves to make design changes whenever they feel like so a lot of times when i order something it will come in wrong because or a random design change

:eek3:

hadn't thought of that but totally makes sense.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Morning dash view

IMG_0274.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info