My BMW 335 roll race champion build thread

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
installed my JB4 tuner yesterday and put a few gallons of e85 in the the car. then i proceeded to do a few pulls and it kept misfireing on the rear bank and it kept kicking me into the stock map and putting the car into limp mode, i was like wtf. upon sitting in the car messing with the JB4 i remembered one of my front o2 sensor was bad. well, obviously the tuner cant autotune when it doesn't know what the afr is. the first afr was great, while the second (cyl 4-6) was dead and only reading 16 no matter the throttle.

new o2 sensor ordered!

installing plugs, charge pipe, and BOV today.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
ordered new tires last week, so i proceeded to burn my tires to the point they are showing steel...then fedex fucks up and they have had the tires at a facility for over 9 days and have to open an investigation to find them.

I'm thinking i should have waited until i had the new tires in my possession before burning these ones to shit. haha.

2WVNQHz.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The tune really wakes them up. They say the down pipes are the bolt on mod that makes the most difference in the seat of the pants. Should spool quicker and let you hear the turbo noise out the exhaust. Win / win kind of thing. Haha

Did you data log to make sure the boost is hitting target, lpfp looks good and so on? Mine didn't throw any codes but boost was off target by about and pound and a half. Had to fix that.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
The tune really wakes them up. They say the down pipes are the bolt on mod that makes the most difference in the seat of the pants. Should spool quicker and let you hear the turbo noise out the exhaust. Win / win kind of thing. Haha

Did you data log to make sure the boost is hitting target, lpfp looks good and so on? Mine didn't throw any codes but boost was off target by about and pound and a half. Had to fix that.

not yet, i only made a couple of quick pulls. i hit a max boost of 16.1 on the first pull, and on map5 is says anywhere from 12-17. are you using JB4 or MHD? how did you fix the boost if you were off target?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Anyone that has one of these... What's the verdict on Auto vs Manual? I don't mean which is faster in a 1/4 mile, etc as the auto cars have been winning that game for ages now. I typically default to manual cars, but, I know with a lot of these newer FI cars you're quicky limited by the clutch...
[MENTION=604]ldyzluvdis06[/MENTION] [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] [MENTION=2612]Pressure Ratio[/MENTION] [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION]

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Anyone that has one of these... What's the verdict on Auto vs Manual? I don't mean which is faster in a 1/4 mile, etc as the auto cars have been winning that game for ages now. I typically default to manual cars, but, I know with a lot of these newer FI cars you're quicky limited by the clutch...
[MENTION=604]ldyzluvdis06[/MENTION] [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] [MENTION=2612]Pressure Ratio[/MENTION] [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION]

Either, I think it just boils down to preference. If you are going to build a 700whp setup then a manual with a better clutch will hold it better than the auto but if you are going around the 500whp you'd be fine with either.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Oh, I mean... IF I were to get one it would be like CAI, turbo-back exhaust and tune. I'd be happy with 400ish WHP. I guess it's my choice then. I'm just used to some modern turbo cars being at the limit of the stock clutch right out of the box... [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]'s GTI and my old TDI were good examples of that.

I'm reallllllly digging the 2012 refresh M-sport cars.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
7" intercooler ordered. and upped the e85 amount, and will be flashing MHD today in junction with JB4.

once the intercooler arrives, ill try to find some time before the baby is born to get everything installed.

It seems the JB4 with the MHD backend seems to be the way to go if you are doing fuel changes and such. The 3 run map learning with the JB4 will make that a lot easier. You jumped in with both feet for the build. That is for sure. haha I can't wait to hear you review and results with the upgrades.

I think the auto is pretty good. With the sport package I have the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The trans shifts a little slow in normal mode. In sport mode it is far quicker to change gears. There is an Alpina trans tune that improved the sport mode to the point everyone loves it. But in normal mode they say it shifts too low in the rpm and is in 6th gear at low speeds. It does not seem like there are many options for tuning the auto, so that can be a drawback.

From what I read, the main issue is limitations on torque with the auto. Seems 500 ft/lbs is where most tuners will limit the torque in the engine tune and torque management. The trans will last this way. So if you want major power, the manual trans is the way to go. But honestly, I can't imagine what 500 ft/lbs would be like in these with an auto. There is a newly released "Level 10" transmission that will handle a lot more torque. They offer different stall speeds as well. But they are just out of testing and kind of expensive.

These cars make broad torque curves. My car, with the auto, pulls very hard with the 370-380 ft/lbs or so my car has. I am guessing as the datalogs show 500 nm of torque ("Torque actual value" calculated for torque limiting features) and what other cars with my mods made on dynos.

http://www.datazap.me/u/86merc/log-1478885422?log=0&data=3-22-27

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
It seems the JB4 with the MHD backend seems to be the way to go if you are doing fuel changes and such. The 3 run map learning with the JB4 will make that a lot easier. You jumped in with both feet for the build. That is for sure. haha I can't wait to hear you review and results with the upgrades.

haha, the wife was not happy with everything i have bought, but then i reminded her how much i spent on the trans am and told her i could do that again, i quickly won that argument.

I think the auto is pretty good. With the sport package I have the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The trans shifts a little slow in normal mode. In sport mode it is far quicker to change gears. There is an Alpina trans tune that improved the sport mode to the point everyone loves it. But in normal mode they say it shifts too low in the rpm and is in 6th gear at low speeds. It does not seem like there are many options for tuning the auto, so that can be a drawback.

From what I read, the main issue is limitations on torque with the auto. Seems 500 ft/lbs is where most tuners will limit the torque in the engine tune and torque management. The trans will last this way. So if you want major power, the manual trans is the way to go. But honestly, I can't imagine what 500 ft/lbs would be like in these with an auto. There is a newly released "Level 10" transmission that will handle a lot more torque. They offer different stall speeds as well. But they are just out of testing and kind of expensive.

These cars make broad torque curves. My car, with the auto, pulls very hard with the 370-380 ft/lbs or so my car has. I am guessing as the datalogs show 500 nm of torque ("Torque actual value" calculated for torque limiting features) and what other cars with my mods made on dynos.

datazap.me | 86merc | Log 1478885422

as he said, the auto will handle full bolt ons without an issue. I also have an Auto with the paddle shifters, i am getting the Alpina trans flash done, just waiting for my schedule to collaborate with the guy that's going to remote flash it.

but if you're wanting to upgrade turbos, which seems to be inevitable once you start pushing these tiny things to the max, then the manual with a upgraded clutch is the best bet because the new level 10 trans is $6900:rollpicard: But, since the turbos are so small, they don't seem to like 20psi forever, at that point people usually purchase upgraded stock turbos that can handle more, or seems the better route is to go to a single top mounted. (im still new to the scene and still reading on everything, but ill give the advice that i can)

for reference, here is a quarter sitting on the stock turbos. :rollpicard::rollpicard:

HdIMLnS.jpg

hwjgFbV.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
for reference, here is a quarter sitting on the stock turbos.

As small as those turbos are, someone recently made 500 rwhp with them and full bolt-ons. That is plenty for a fun daily driven car with a flat torque curve. The parts for this platform are still being developed. But I also know people with aftermarket turbos have made over 800 rwhp. So at least there are options.

Curious how much this really helps... but it must, because you can run stage 2+ once that FMIC goes in.

The stock intercooler is small. The aftermarket ones work well. I picked up a used VRFS stepped 5" FMIC. My 2 gear runs went from a difference of 24*F to 14*F. And that is with the cheapest and smallest intercooler available. There are some threads on bimmerforums that compare a few intercoolers. Worth the money if you run any tune. I plan to switch to something like a VRFS 7" HD core in spring.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
As small as those turbos are, someone recently made 500 rwhp with them and full bolt-ons. That is plenty for a fun daily driven car with a flat torque curve. The parts for this platform are still being developed. But I also know people with aftermarket turbos have made over 800 rwhp. So at least there are options.

The stock intercooler is small. The aftermarket ones work well. I picked up a used VRFS stepped 5" FMIC. My 2 gear runs went from a difference of 24*F to 14*F. And that is with the cheapest and smallest intercooler available. There are some threads on bimmerforums that compare a few intercoolers. Worth the money if you run any tune. I plan to switch to something like a VRFS 7" HD core in spring.

i would have preferred the HD, but i ran out of "modding money" due to the baby coming. i may upgrade next year.

Thread Info