Mortgage thoughts

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Good information, thanks.

So now back to the escrow money. If it isn't in my mortgage, where is a safe place to put this money so I can get a small but guaranteed return? I'll need to be able to pull out the money when taxes are due twice a year.

Nowhere unfortunately. Unless you find a savings account with a decent return.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Food for thought but if you're buying an average priced house, let's say $300,000, and you're putting 20% down ($60,000) you'll end up with a $240,000 mortgage and the difference in payment between a 20 year 3.49% loan and a 30 year 3.75% loan is something like $30. It's nothing. But with the 30 year loan you have the freedom of paying less should something happen that necessitates that. For that reason alone I'd go with the 30 year loan but just pay it down as if it were a 20 year loan.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Also, equity in your home isn't liquid, stocks are. The money in stocks can be converted to cash in about 3 days. My recommendation, do the 30 year. 75% of leftover monthly money in the stock market and 25% as extra principal on the home. You'll be rich in 10 years if you stick with that plan.

You have to look at a lot of factors though.

Anyone looking at a mortgage should be looking at an amortization table to see how much interest is being paid over the life of a 15, 20, and 30 year loan at the differing rates. You can easy plug in the numbers and different mortgage rates to see what each scenario nets out.

Also, it depends on what you're investing in. If you invest in SPY, VOO, VIO or any S&P indexed funds the return annualized is roughly 10%. If you are investing in individual stocks, it varies.

Lastly, you should also look at historical real estate values in your city and neighborhood. The rate of returns pre-crash in 2008 were pretty significant and the market recently has started to come back around.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Food for thought but if you're buying an average priced house, let's say $300,000, and you're putting 20% down ($60,000) you'll end up with a $240,000 mortgage and the difference in payment between a 20 year 3.49% loan and a 30 year 3.75% loan is something like $30. It's nothing. But with the 30 year loan you have the freedom of paying less should something happen that necessitates that. For that reason alone I'd go with the 30 year loan but just pay it down as if it were a 20 year loan.
You mean a difference of $300, right?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

I think you left off a zero there. The difference would be nearly $300 a month.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You mean a difference of $300, right?

No, I mean $3x.xx but I just re-read my post and did a shit job of making my point. What I was saying was that the difference between the 3.75% 30 year loan paid off on a 20 year schedule and the 3.49% 20 year loan paid on the same schedule is about $30 difference a month but paying the higher interest 30 year loan on the 20 year schedule, though slightly more money each month, would give him a buffer in case something popped up in the future that affected his ability to make the higher payment. So lets say two years from now he loses his job and exhausts his savings... He can then revert to the lower payment of the 30 year loan without needing to refinance, something he likely wouldn't be able to do anyhow if he found himself in a situation where he was unable to pay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info