FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
First, these aren't GM EMD (ElectroMotive Division) locomotives. All the others mentioned are GM EMD. GM EMD was sold off to a private equity firm (Berkshire Hathaway if I recall), and now Progress Rail purchased them from Berkshire. Progress Rail is a Caterpillar company if I recall.

These are made by Motive Power out of Idaho (About as far as you can get from a rail hub of the country). They use EMD designed engines and drive gear, but are not EMD.

From the get go, they had software issues. Then they had reliability issues and certainly no where near the reliability of those old EMD units. Then a couple were involved in accidents (I recall seeing one laying on it's side after a collision with a semi). Due to many of these issues, Metra started sending them back to be rebuilt and in some cases, converted to later updates of that platform. While this was going on, they had to bring the few F40C's they replaced with these MP36H's with, out of mothballs to pick up the slack, and recently (around 2015), they picked up some EMD F59PH's as backups from Toronto's GO commuter system.

Personally, I'm not a fan of them. They are a long wheelbase locomotive really meant for 6 truck (axles), which are better for long distance running. They don't work well in tight areas such as working into Union Station vs. the F40PH's and their 4 truck setup works much better.

So that's what the deal is with the F59PH's. I was wondering where those came from and was hoping they were new replacement engines for some of the older stuff Metra has been running. They are powerful, efficient and can power the cars at notch 1, so they're quiet, unlike the F40PH's.

I was surprised to see how badly the MP36's faired over the years. I remember when they bought them and it wasn't all that long ago. Some of them already look like they're 40 years old with lots of rust.

Something interesting, I noticed that within the past 8 months or so, sometimes they now run the MP36's at notch 1 to power the cars during mild weather, when they never did that before? I always knew they had that capability, but wondered why Metra never utilized it. My train into work this morning was pushed by an MP36 running at notch 1 with 6 cars. I wonder what has changed.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
After riding Metra for 27 years, you pick up a few things. I can usually tell by ear what the power level is and also what engine I'm sitting behind even if I haven't seen it.

There are other little things too, such as the tone of the horns and the sound of the air compressors on the engine.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Do not agree with accepting rate increases because it's cheaper than driving down town.

Rate increases would be more palatable if reliability, cleanliness, safety and quicker times to destination were being addressed.

Unfortunately all the consumer sees is annual fare increases while the same ancient, dirty junk is still rolling down the tracks.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ya, these units and cars are ran ragged, imagine keeping your car at full throttle for 3-4hrs during the day and slamming on the brakes every 1-2miles

Just to do a rough, back of napkin set of math, lets say the average unit makes 10 "runs" a day. That means 10 trips into the city, and 10 trips out of the city. At an average of each line having around 30 miles (some are more, some are less), doing this 5 times a week, over 50 weeks a year (I'm trying to factor out two weeks simply from holidays and not needing to use the unit constantly), then using the example of METX 137 that I posted above coming on in 1979, that's 38 years, I'm coming up with it having around 5.7 MILLION miles on it.

Now I know this is high because I'm assuming it's run all day, when in fact outside of rush hour, many go back to one of the train sheds at Western Ave for maintenance or back out to Waukegan, Elburn, etc, for rest, so it's not probably that high, but the point is, over 30 - 40 years of constant use, these things have millions of miles on them.

You work for BNSF or you have one of our units on another line? When I worked out of Chicago I hated having NS or CSX power as the lead unit. an NS unit was at least worth a $50 claim since they didn't have a refrigerator, but they almost always had duct tape holding something together in the cab.

I like the AC4400's, desktop preferably but the sidewinders aren't terrible. Desktop controls just leave me a better surface for paperwork. Most of the train nerds I know hate them and prefer the older EMD SD40/60's that we really only have in yards or roadswitcher duty anymore. The SD70ACe's are alright but the horn sounds like an Italian car.

I like the desktops too, but I feel a lot of it was the old timer engineers that just like the old rack style with all controls at the left hand. The older style SD40's/60's and even getting into the older "Geep's", this style allowed them to sit with their backs to the outside wall of the cabs and look out the back window as much as the front window while in operation. Another complaint, and this was with the early desktop setups, was that until both GE and EMD came up with a "wide cab", many complained it rode rough compared to older units.

So that's what the deal is with the F59PH's. I was wondering where those came from and was hoping they were new replacement engines for some of the older stuff Metra has been running. They are powerful, efficient and can power the cars at notch 1, so they're quiet, unlike the F40PH's.

I was surprised to see how badly the MP36's faired over the years. I remember when they bought them and it wasn't all that long ago. Some of them already look like they're 40 years old with lots of rust.

Something interesting, I noticed that within the past 8 months or so, sometimes they now run the MP36's at notch 1 to power the cars during mild weather, when they never did that before? I always knew they had that capability, but wondered why Metra never utilized it. My train into work this morning was pushed by an MP36 running at notch 1 with 6 cars. I wonder what has changed.

As to the F59's, since they're being used primarily on the old Milwaukee District lines, where the old F40C's were running before being replaced by the MP36's, I think this was a just a stop-gap to have sufficient backup as they fixed/rebuilt/converted the MP36's. I thought they were stupid to sell the bulk of their F40C's to St. Louis's commuter rail system, because now it bit them in the ass. They are more powerful, but I don't think that they're as efficient in stop/start situations like the F40's were.

The F40's being the "Screamboxes" that they are, is partially due to Metra's insistence at running HEP (Head End Power). Meaning that the prime mover (the locomotive's engine), is also turning a second generator to supply power to the rest of the train. Many other transit companies use a second, seperate diesel engine in there, to turn the auxilliary generator to power the train. Metra refuses to do this because of maintenance costs, and keeping all parts the same since they have sooo many locomotives. So in order to keep sufficient amps to move the train and supply power to the train, it's gotta run near WOT. I think they're governed to around 3,300 rpm, so they're usually running just under that. The newer MP36's, with the advances in computers that run it (the F40 doesn't have any of that nonsense), the software allows it to run at lower notches when not needing maximum power, such as idling and running between stops.

As to why they leave it in notch 1, I wonder if it's because they're doing rehab at Union Station and not running power to the trains from the station. Union Station is unique in that since it can't exhaust the exhaust out of the building like Ogilvie (NW Station to us), they have to shut the train down to idle and then they'd plug the cars into the station to run lighting, HVAC, etc... They can't do this so they have to keep it running at notch 1 to power the train. Another reason that the argument for them to have a separate small diesel in there turning the aux generator makes sense...

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
After riding Metra for 27 years, you pick up a few things. I can usually tell by ear what the power level is and also what engine I'm sitting behind even if I haven't seen it.

There are other little things too, such as the tone of the horns and the sound of the air compressors on the engine.

This. Also after the many years riding the UP West line, I got to know every inch of track, every set of switches that we'd routinely go through, that I could completely zonk out and never miss West Chicago on the way home. For example, at the time, the 5:09 express ended at WeGo. The stop before WeGo was Wheaton. After leaving Wheaton, you'd get up to 55mph through Winfield, then just as you come into WeGo, you'd slow to a crawl, and then cross three sets of switches to go from the south set of rails, across the middle set, to the north set. So you just get used to speed, timing, clunking through the switches, ride, swaying of the cars, etc...

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I wish I could, unfortunately we had to sign so much paperwork with them that I can't post anything really.

Once we start building them I might be able to get some pictures from our end, but I can't post anything from their end.

If people see the cost of this wire though they might think differently over the rates going up. :bowrofl:

We just got done with some circuit breaker panels for another train manufacturer too, all 2000v insulated wire, the insulation has to go through all sorts of tests and pass all kinds of smoke ratings and everything that it's insane.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So my train nerdery...

Usually every year around the holidays, I set up my HO scale trains in the basement. I made it a modular setup to be able to R&R when I want to. Anywho, when I first built it, I only had one track. Later I added a second, smaller loop. The second smaller loop is what I run the Metra ones on and the bigger 1st loop is what I run the freight on.

My Metra locomotives (#157 Village of Palatine and #163 City of Elmhurst). Not pictured is my newest addition... #137 City of West Chicago Yup, I gots it in HO scale.
NCrsxU4.jpg

Here is the overall layout, I let the kids set up the christmas village, but you can see the two track setup. At some point I will make further improvements to the setup and add the green grass
K0w2maH.jpg

kWISJqj.jpg

acbKJHS.jpg

My rigs;
2cFQcVX.jpg

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
So my train nerdery...

Usually every year around the holidays, I set up my HO scale trains in the basement. I made it a modular setup to be able to R&R when I want to. Anywho, when I first built it, I only had one track. Later I added a second, smaller loop. The second smaller loop is what I run the Metra ones on and the bigger 1st loop is what I run the freight on.

My Metra locomotives (#157 Village of Palatine and #163 City of Elmhurst). Not pictured is my newest addition... #137 City of West Chicago Yup, I gots it in HO scale.
NCrsxU4.jpg

Here is the overall layout, I let the kids set up the christmas village, but you can see the two track setup. At some point I will make further improvements to the setup and add the green grass
K0w2maH.jpg

kWISJqj.jpg

acbKJHS.jpg

My rigs;
2cFQcVX.jpg
That is awesome. Especially finding train models done up in local livery. Pretty sweet.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Some of the really nerdy train people do stuff like that. It's a little beyond my my level of involvement.

I did just go down it grab pics of my #137
VJ4bXXQ.jpg

I also have an F40C (you can see the nose of it in the back), but it isn't in any RTA/Metra Livery.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Don't know anything about running a train service, but I do know for a fact, those mechanics working on the trains are robbing them blind!!!!
I met one racing at US 41 and he told us stories that should piss off every tax payer in the country!!!
They fill their lunch boxes with grade 8 hardware weekly.
He used to give away hardware all the time trying to be a big shot :(
They steal tools regularly.
They sleep on their shift and cover for each other regularly.

Now I'm sure most, at least I hope so, are decent hard working dudes that never steal anything.
The ones that are POS thief's, are costing them a fortune :(

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
going through the back of those older metra units to turn the generator off when pulling into union station always reminded me of that engine room scene from Titanic. You can barely breathe and it feels like it's about 120 degrees in there. I'm a freight engineer but not passenger service certified so my knowledge of the specifics on those metra units is pretty limited.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
going through the back of those older metra units to turn the generator off when pulling into union station always reminded me of that engine room scene from Titanic. You can barely breathe and it feels like it's about 120 degrees in there. I'm a freight engineer but not passenger service certified so my knowledge of the specifics on those metra units is pretty limited.

Not to mention deafening... Of course I'm sure you're wearing ear protection, but still...

I think in another thread somewhere you may have posted that you were on freight. I'd love to hear some stories.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info