Looking for a new DD

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I know your first post says "sedans", but then the exploder was talked about too in later posts if I recall...

What about GM Lambda SUV's (Traverse/Acadia/Enclave)

Second idea, the dreaded mini-van. Heck, with rebates, deals, etc, you could probably get a Dodge Grand Caravan (GT is the best looking) on the old RT platform, with damn near every and any feature man can think of, plus Stow-N-Go seating, plus rear tailgate seat, and a zippy Pentastar V6. I know, I know... It's a mini-van...

We picked up the 2015 Town & Country Limited Platinum for $26k and change with less than 20k on the clock a year ago. It has everything you can think of, back up camera, blind spot indicator thingies, 45 airbags it seems, sunroof, top of the line infotainment system, the "super console" (as Chrysler calls it), dual DVD system, yada, yada, yada. Plus it's got cool blue LED lighting in the ceiling at night for "ambience". Just another thought...

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The Honda Pilot, isn't it shared/closely related to the Odyssey mini-van which is known for transmission issues?

Toyota 4-Runner is a truck based SUV, which probably isn't what OP is looking for, and the Highlander is a long forgotten option.

No manufacturer has made a perfect vehicle yet. They ALL have problems or unique issues. It boils down to what you want to put up with.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Here is what I have come up with as possible options

Fusion - Have one now, this could be the front runner :dunno:
Taurus - Test drove one yesturday, seems ok felt a little cramped with the huge center console and dash setup.
Impala - I know nothing about these and even less about the trim levels, thoughts?
Malibu - Same as above
Lincoln MKZ - Looks to be a glorified fusion, so more expensive and imo uglier.
Buick LaCrosse - Same as impala/malibu ?
Buick Regal - ?
Cadillac ATS - I really like the look of these but since it's a caddy it's price is higher than the competition so it would be older and more miles than the others.
Charger - R/T's are nice, not so sure on the SXT's SE's.
300's - I know these were shitboxes previously, not so sure nowadays.
Cruze - Listing it as a option but :dunno:

Some personal experiences below:

Fusion has been around for a while, and is a solid choice. We had a bunch of these as company cars, and they held up well. Around 60-110k the trans starts getting a little wonky with downshifts, especially while using cruise (2.5 iVCT).
I just picked up a Titanium AWD (2.0t) last weekend. Quiet and solid. Back seat legroom is a little tight compared to the rest of it's class. Mine was made in Mexico. Huge discounts with regular financing, or decent discounts with the 0%/72 mo special running now. PM me if you need more info.

Taurus is a dinosaur with terrible ergonomics. Not much more usable space inside than the Fusion. Ford has really neglected this car over the years. Made in Illinois.

Impala is surprisingly decent. 2LT or LTZ are nicely equipped. 6 cylinder is quick. Huge back seat, but the car is a boat. Quiet car and cushy ride makes for a great highway cruiser. No idea where these come from.

Malibu. We have a bunch of these now (replaced the Fusions). I can log up to 800 miles in a week with them regularly. Every one I have driven has had a quality issue except one. They feel cheap inside, and cheap on the road. The 1.5t has decent power, excellent gas mileage, and the car uses it's space well as the front and rear seat are roomy. So many design quirks/issues with these it deserves it's own thread. PM me if you wanna hear about it. Who cares where these come from, they're a shit car.

Accord. All new one coming out next year. It looks like an Impala and Malibu had a baby from most angles. Up front, the protruding grill reminds me of a beluga whale's head. The 2.0t with 10AT should haul ass. Made in Ohio.

Current one can be had heavily discounted, also 0.9%/60 mo is going on. I just traded my '16. I couldn't stand the CVT. If I went Accord again, I would go 6 cylinder with the 6AT. Other than that, it's a solid car and superior to the Fusion in a lot of ways. Really roomy, open and airy cabin.

Runner up for me in this price range was the Passat. The wife just didn't like the seats. Loathed the vinyl in the R-Line, and the leather in the SEL was not much better. Not an issue for me as my bare skin would never touch the seat surfaces. Made in Tennessee.

For me it came down to price, AWD, and the ability to tow/have a hitch without creating warranty issues.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
OP states clearly domestic made sedans is only option.

Forum immediately derails and decides their own requirements with foreign cars and SUVs.

OP restated his list again. Forum doesn't listen lol.

Rinse and repeat every car advice thread with [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] giving always best advice.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
OP states clearly domestic made sedans is only option.

Forum immediately derails and decides their own requirements with foreign cars and SUVs.

OP restated his list again. Forum doesn't listen lol.

Rinse and repeat every car advice thread with [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] giving always best advice.

Funny how all threads have the same issues. I lol'd

I'm on vacation this week so I will be searching pretty hard when I return.

I have ruled out a few cars already and think I'm down to just these few.

Ford Fusion
Ford Taurus - going to look at a SEL or SHO and see if I like them enough.
Chevy Impala - I liked Bru's input and started looking at them just on the road. Digging the exterior on the LTZ's. will have to test drive as I don't even know what the interior looks like.
Cadillac - think only the ATS's will be in my price range.

Any feedback on these models I would appreciate hoping sometime next week I will be able to test drive a few and make the purchase.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Funny how all threads have the same issues. I lol'd

Digging the exterior on the LTZ's. will have to test drive as I don't even know what the interior looks like.

Rode in my in-law's new Impala tonight. This thing is in a whole different class when it comes to interior room. If you dig the Impala, also check out the Buick version of it.

Not sure on this, but the LTZ might be called Premier now.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The LaCrosse. Both the LaCrosse and the current Impala (10th Gen), are now classified as "Full Size", as is the current Taurii. The Fusion is a "Mid-Size" car.

Not sure if that matters, but I'm a big car kinda guy, so I would be looking full size if these were my options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info