jalopnik: best full size pickup under 40k

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
My friend went with the 5.0 for that very reason.

Funny thing is I would still get the ecoboost. There are great tuners out there pulling big power from them, and they will fight elevation power loss better than an N/A motor. Not that I will see much elevation with it, but still...lol I just think they are cool too. Sound like shit coming from the tail pipe, but still cool. Just like the ecoboost mustang. That car is dope, but dont ever swap out that factory muffler.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I don't know that much as I'm not a Ford humper. My choice would be any GM or the ecodiesel Ram with the ram box.

What sucks with Ram (and probably most models) is you can only get certain combos with certain options. I took what was on the lot but found out you can't get a moonroof with the RamBox. Now that I have the regular bed I'm happy with it because it allows me to haul more crap.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
All of them are nice trucks. I think Ford and Dodge are my two favorites over GM (I did have a GM prior to my Dodge) because of their interiors or exteriors. My deciding factor was the engine as I wanted the fuel economy of the Eco-Diesel. So many talk about the Eco-Boost fuel economy but the real world numbers owners are seeing don't support it. I towed my GN 130+ miles this weekend and the average fuel economy was 18mpg. I'm driving to New Orleans Thursday and will report back what my overall trip is... I'm guessing somewhere between 26-28mpg.

Isn't it a given that you are going to get poor gas mileage while towing though? To me it's like comparing the mpg at WOT of sports cars. It's not going to be good lol.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Funny thing is I would still get the ecoboost. There are great tuners out there pulling big power from them, and they will fight elevation power loss better than an N/A motor. Not that I will see much elevation with it, but still...lol I just think they are cool too. Sound like shit coming from the tail pipe, but still cool. Just like the ecoboost mustang. That car is dope, but dont ever swap out that factory muffler.

mother fucking :werd:

They sound like absolute trash, which is highly disappointing

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Oh yea, I towed a 3 place enclosed snowmobile trailer with 3 sleds, one sled in the bed, four guys, four guys worth of gear, tools, beer, and hookers to Wyoming and back up to 10k in elevation and averaged 13-14mpg. Going there I was going into a headwind and uphill, coming back not so much.

-23 degrees to about 10 on winter blend diesel.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-see-but-when-i-do-it-s-what-you-did-there-20d287.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well this has gone expected.

My only true issue is, you can't get one thing without the other. Take the 14' silverado. If you wanted the 6.2 you had to get the leather and sound packages.

exactly.

but before that, there were some bench cloth 6.2 4wd silverado's out.

Just remember that every year around model end time, they give out like $10k off those trucks. So if you ever wanted an F150, best to buy around the sept/oct time of the year when all the newer models start showing up. I regularly see adds and commercials for Ford dealers selling F150s for $10k off sticker or more. At that point, they are very competitive vs GM and RAM. I'd take a F150 over all the others.

any manufacturer is giving 10kish off their trucks at the end of the year.

All of them are nice trucks. I think Ford and Dodge are my two favorites over GM (I did have a GM prior to my Dodge) because of their interiors or exteriors. My deciding factor was the engine as I wanted the fuel economy of the Eco-Diesel. So many talk about the Eco-Boost fuel economy but the real world numbers owners are seeing don't support it. I towed my GN 130+ miles this weekend and the average fuel economy was 18mpg. I'm driving to New Orleans Thursday and will report back what my overall trip is... I'm guessing somewhere between 26-28mpg.

itd be tough for me between the dodge and the sierra. i love the gmc's.

My friend went with the 5.0 for that very reason.

i'd go 5.0 over ecoboost. all. day. long.

Isn't it a given that you are going to get poor gas mileage while towing though? To me it's like comparing the mpg at WOT of sports cars. It's not going to be good lol.

yeah. no. very different.

18mpg towing my GN 130 miles with some stop and go isn't too bad IMO. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

it's fucking awesome is what it is.

Oh yea, I towed a 3 place enclosed snowmobile trailer with 3 sleds, one sled in the bed, four guys, four guys worth of gear, tools, beer, and hookers to Wyoming and back up to 10k in elevation and averaged 13-14mpg. Going there I was going into a headwind and uphill, coming back not so much.

-23 degrees to about 10 on winter blend diesel.

:bowdown:

oh and fwiw.

sorry new f150 guys.

they ugly as fuck. i seriously cannot get around how they look. they look bad. bad. bad. bad.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'll take my GM with a LS in it, mucho easy to work on when the warranty goes buh bye!

:werd:

my cousin has always been a ford guy, but has worked on my truck a few times- alternator/knock sensors/oil pressure sender... and he was giggling at how easy they were to do in my truck compared to his lightning or working on his 5.0

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I stopped and looked at a 2015 f150 xlt. Just basic options, cloth seats, etc. Sticker was $44k. I thought that was crazy.

When I bought my '13 new, two years ago in July, the sticker was almost $60k, but according to the tax paperwork, I ended up paying about $40k for it.

The mpg argument makes me laugh. They get exactly what they are rated at. Actually, I've gotten quite a bit better. Remember, that's an epa rating from government tests. There are specific parameters that are used during the test. You cant expect to get the same mileage when you drive 70mph everywhere, when the epa rates it at 55mph.

The ecoboost will pull every other 1/2 ton under the table. You just need to decide if the extra fuel is worth it. If you aren't going to pull, there is no reason to get something that makes this kind of power. If you're going to actually use it, you will love the ecoboost. Most of the miles I put on are from pulling. If I just used it for a daily commute, I'd take a look at the dodge with the v6 gas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info