It's a funny squeaky sound........coming from my engine.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I hope so man.

I listened to it a few times and it sounds valve train or something on the upper part of the engine. Do you have a stethoscope to use and listen around the engine? If not a long screw driver works. I’d check the rocket covers and header tubes to see if you can isolate it.

I’m leaning toward a collapsed lifter.

Were you pushing on the car when the noise appeared?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well I havent been motivated to do much of anything this weekend, but I finally went out and got in and under the car and gave the exhaust a visual inspection, and nothing immediately popped out at me. Header bolts all appear to be tight, didnt notice any cracks in any of the pipes or flanges. The amount of noise its making I think I would able to notice something. At least some black soot around the area or something.

So i decided may as well pop the valve cover off and have a look. Took driver side off cuz the side the noise was loudest on. And everything APPEARS to be ok there as well.... Some of the rockers have a SLIGHT side to side movement, but from what im reading that appears to be somewhat normal. If I actually push down on the rockers where the pushrods are they're all stiff. If a lifter was collapsed there should be quite a bit of play in the rocker, right?

So there's that. Suppose I'll put it back together, and see if i can better isolate the sound.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Some side to side movement is normal. That's more or less the "lash" after being torqued to 22ft/lbs.

Older engines, or super duper hi-po engines, you actually had to get in there with feeler gauges (or something similar), and tighten the rocker arm bolt until you get to the proper amount of gap, or "lash" between the pushrod and rocker. On GenIII+ engines, just torquing to 22ft/lbs does that.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Sure sounds like a lifter to me.

I love love setting lash on my motor (shaft mount rockers with feeler gauge) I will even check it at the track as I am a pro @ it. Mine has a .008" tight lash cam, "solid roller" of course. Agree with [MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] cut that oil filter open. I do it religiously on my motor for piece of mind even with no problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info