Indiana trooper tickets slow driver on I-65

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
In Germany, the fine for passing on the right is MORE $$$$ than the fine for passing someone on the shoulder!

Yes is it, but the need to pass on the right is nearly non existent.

Yea, but in Germany, people actually have to know how to drive to get a license. Here, you could shit in a cup and they'd hand you a drivers license.

I've been to Germany and drove on the Autobahn. It is quite amazing to be sharing the road with people that know how to drive and respect the left lane especially on the autobahn or a highway. They understand driving is an awarded privilege, with harsher penalties and fines. They also take care of their vehicles, there is no roached out POS with 2 lug nuts and bald tires rolling next to you and your family at 70mph. I did not see one person just brainlessly sitting in a left lane like on every highway across America.

I've only been driving for 17 years, but I sure feel like drivers have gotten worse, not better, despite all of the tech and nanny systems. Perhaps these systems are not helping or we're more distracted than ever before.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Cellphones are 100% the biggest problem, just look around you when you're stopped at a traffic light. Just about every person in every car will be looking down at their phones, and even more blatantly doing it when they're driving. I used to scare the shit out of people but one dude tried fighting me so I stopped doing that.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I agree cell phones are a big part of driving issues. But not 100%. Many people are oblivious to what is going on around them and/or have no respect for anyone else due to their entitlement attitude. I see people camped out in the left lane just because they want to be. No plans to turn left any time soon, no care they are holding up traffic behind them, and no care they see cars passing them on the right-hand side.

Like mentioned, in Germany, and on the autobahn especially, people know the left-hand lane is a passing lane. You pass on the left and get back over into the middle or right-hand lane. So you can get passed on the left. When cars are doing the speeds they are capable of doing in the left-hand lane you don't have the time to see them and get over. You are on that highway and you respect the others on the road.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The only way to fix the issues is for cops to enforce the rules. They don't enforce them enough and now we have a bunch of people that literally don't give a single fuck about what's illegal, they just do whatever they want. AND when people do get caught, they get all pissed off they got a ticket and keep doing it :rofl:

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
The only way to fix the issues is for cops to enforce the rules. They don't enforce them enough and now we have a bunch of people that literally don't give a single fuck about what's illegal, they just do whatever they want. AND when people do get caught, they get all pissed off they got a ticket and keep doing it :rofl:

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. When you stop someone for this, they maybe tell 3 or 4 people what they got a ticket for it. When people see someone stopped on the interstate, they always think its for speeding. Ive spoken with the Tollway and IDOT til I was blue in the face; the solution is education. There needs to be more signage that driving in the left lane is illegal. Take those worthless fucking signs down that say "slower traffic keep right". Ive written more left lane tickets than I have speeding. Ive seen how people drive to get around these asshats in the left lane, I give people usually a mile to move over before its time to play "sign here".

Sad part was when I handled an accident for a drivers ed student, obviously with the instructor in the car. So I asked the student and the instructor when is it legal to drive in the left lane on the interstate, guess what, fucking crickets.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have to respectfully disagree on this one. When you stop someone for this, they maybe tell 3 or 4 people what they got a ticket for it. When people see someone stopped on the interstate, they always think its for speeding. Ive spoken with the Tollway and IDOT til I was blue in the face; the solution is education. There needs to be more signage that driving in the left lane is illegal. Take those worthless fucking signs down that say "slower traffic keep right". Ive written more left lane tickets than I have speeding. Ive seen how people drive to get around these asshats in the left lane, I give people usually a mile to move over before its time to play "sign here".

Sad part was when I handled an accident for a drivers ed student, obviously with the instructor in the car. So I asked the student and the instructor when is it legal to drive in the left lane on the interstate, guess what, fucking crickets.

You see everything first hand, your opinion is ALWAYS appreciated and usually right. :rofl:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I see the asshats in the left lane every day whether on 294, I88, 355 and 55. They go the speed limit, maybe 5 mph over, and block up everyone else behind. Yes, I have a fucking retarded commute.

The left lane asshats energize the emotions of other drivers behind them very quickly. Can literally see driving habits of those behind the asshats change in the blink of an eye, which puts us in the second lane (parallel lane) on alert as erratic driving behavior is inevitable.

It’s a headscratch and dangerous.

Hopefully at some point technology will be able to address.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
I have one more presentation that im doing, im going to but this exact thread on my power point. Hey look! Lets go spend 90 million to redo I-90 where its 10 lanes wide and not put signs up for the dummies to tell them to get the fuck out of the left lane! Whenever im cruising 90 its like turn 4 at daytona, people shuffling all over to get ahead.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Driving to work this morning I saw this and thought of this thread.

I was already sitting at an intersection when these cars all pulled up behind me. I'm the first car in the RH lane. 1 car pulls up behind me in the RH lane. 7 cars pulled up in the LH lane. This is a major intersection and there isn't another LH turn for miles. So it isn't like any cars in the LH lane are over to make a turn just after the light. Again, people have no clue how lanes should be used.

20180622_075202.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

I was already sitting at an intersection when these cars all pulled up behind me. I'm the first car in the RH lane. 1 car pulls up behind me in the RH lane. 7 cars pulled up in the LH lane. This is a major intersection and there isn't another LH turn for miles. So it isn't like any cars in the LH lane are over to make a turn just after the light. Again, people have no clue how lanes should be used.

View attachment 32833

59 is the fucking worst for this shit. 3 miles of cars in a line in the left lane but then 1 car every mile in the right lane. Bout to put a bullbar on the Raptor and start massaging people out of the fucking left lane. Swear to fuck.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
A whilst ago I got on 88 at 59 and needed to get to Naperville road. I went 90mph in the right lane the entire way, passed at least 100 cars and never had to leave the right lane. It was wide open. People are straight up stupid AF, they purely only care about themselves and nothing else.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
There is a lot of entitlement in that area for sure! Because Naperville

I have complained about left lane campers for years. That and people who have no fucking clue how a center turn lane is used. Car half in the center turn lane and half in the lane to the right of it. Good job blocking traffic behind you. Those are two of my biggest pet peeves and they seem to be happening more and more. Both show the have no thought of concern for others on the road with them.

I also saw this yesterday. haha

daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-151.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Yeah, those cock suckers. TWO CARS IN THE RIGHT LANE, CONGO LINE IN THE LEFT LANE.

And then the fucking retards in the left lane behind the camper don't move over to the right lane and speed up to see if they can pass so then another car in the right lane comes up and sits next to the people in the left lane further blocking traffic. It's rage inducing.

Once or twice I've been that guy that sped up in the right lane to see that there's enough room to pass and then slammed on my brakes in front of the left lane camper. Fuck it, OE bumpers are cheap on my truck. I have a high probability of coming out on top of the incident as well.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, those cock suckers. TWO CARS IN THE RIGHT LANE, CONGO LINE IN THE LEFT LANE.

And then the fucking retards in the left lane behind the camper don't move over to the right lane and speed up to see if they can pass so then another car in the right lane comes up and sits next to the people in the left lane further blocking traffic. It's rage inducing.

Once or twice I've been that guy that sped up in the right lane to see that there's enough room to pass and then slammed on my brakes in front of the left lane camper. Fuck it, OE bumpers are cheap on my truck. I have a high probability of coming out on top of the incident as well.

I cut off a taxi that was camping on 290. He disappeared in my mirror and continued the drive. After a few minutes, I see this taxi driving erratic trying to get a head of me. He was able to and when I tried to get around, he switched lanes and stayed in the left/center lanes. Boy if I had my pistol....

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

View attachment 32833

what highway has stop lights.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Where did I say it was a highway? But lots of US Highways have stop lights on them. Not uncommon at all. Route 66 is a US Highway with plenty of stop lights.

I think you are confusing a US Highway and an Interstate Highway. You just like riding my ass lately. lol

For the record, that picture was on Route 56 which is a divided four-lane road.

Maybe [MENTION=10061]093LZ[/MENTION] could confirm what the law is on roads in Illinois. First thing I searched read that Illinois law states LH lane is only to be used "when turning left or when overtaking and passing another vehicle"

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
This is the state rep who introduced the bill in 2004 to charge LH lane slow drivers be fined $75.

"People are speeding already, and they'll keep speeding, and police will continue issuing tickets to speeders," he said. "If they're blocking traffic, this will encourage them to use a little courtesy and common sense."

The highlighted part is what I feel people who are camped out in the LH lane are not using.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Where did I say it was a highway? But lots of US Highways have stop lights on them. Not uncommon at all. Route 66 is a US Highway with plenty of stop lights.

I think you are confusing a US Highway and an Interstate Highway. You just like riding my ass lately. lol

For the record, that picture was on Route 56 which is a divided four-lane road.

Maybe [MENTION=10061]093LZ[/MENTION] could confirm what the law is on roads in Illinois. First thing I searched read that Illinois law states LH lane is only to be used "when turning left or when overtaking and passing another vehicle"

didn't mean for it to seem that way.

Illinois State Police Press Release

Left Lane Law - While traveling on an interstate highway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. This prohibition does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles while engaged in official duties.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I believe this is the actual article. No a paraphrasing of it.

" (625 ILCS 5/11-701) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-701)
Sec. 11-701. Drive on right side of roadway - exceptions.
(a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle

proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movements;
2. When an obstruction exists making it necessary to

drive to the left of the center of the roadway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the roadway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
3. Upon a roadway divided into 3 marked lanes for

traffic under the rules applicable thereon;
4. Upon a roadway restricted to one way traffic;
5. Whenever there is a single track paved road on one

side of the public highway and 2 vehicles meet thereon, the driver on whose right is the wider shoulder shall give the right-of-way on such pavement to the other vehicle.
(b) Upon a 2 lane roadway, providing for 2-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) Upon any roadway having 4 or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for 2-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic-control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under Subsection (a) 2. However, this Subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
(d) Upon an Interstate highway or fully access controlled freeway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle.
(e) Subsection (d) of this Section does not apply:
(1) when no other vehicle is directly behind the

vehicle in the left lane;
(2) when traffic conditions and congestion make it

impractical to drive in the right lane;
(3) when snow and other inclement weather conditions

make it necessary to drive in the left lane;
(4) when obstructions or hazards exist in the right

lane;
(5) when a vehicle changes lanes to comply with

Sections 11-907, 11-907.5, and 11-908 of this Code;
(6) when, because of highway design, a vehicle must

be driven in the left lane when preparing to exit;
(7) on toll highways when necessary to use I-Pass,

and on toll and other highways when driving in the left lane is required to comply with an official traffic control device; or
(8) to law enforcement vehicles, ambulances, and

other emergency vehicles engaged in official duties and vehicles engaged in highway maintenance and construction operations.
(Source: P.A. 99-681, eff. 1-1-17.)"

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

Again, sitting in the left lane while people are backing up behind you is a selfish and inconsiderate move. Law or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info