Home ownership/living expenses: Where do you cut corners or lower costs?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
HE furnace / ac
HE light bulbs
Fiber w/ Amazon Prime, Directv Online, Nexflix streaming (free)
HE shower heads and faucet inserts
HE washer / dryer
Keep house warmer in summer, cooler in winter
Most windows are HE
40 mpg daily driver (Hyundai - drive 35k miles per year)

No more condoms

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
Stopped buying fast food/eating out at restaurants.

That's easily a couple hundred bucks per month.

Exactly, that is a huge cost for me.
Now that I'm on a diet, I spend under $200 a month, usually under $150 and I'm not eating all the crap I was.

I also have a habit of flipping off lights as I come & go and sit in the dark if not doing paper work while I watch TV.

I do keep the houses too warm in winter and too cold in summer, so I try to save on lights!!!
I did the LED switch also.

Frostopsy

Regular
Oct 27, 2016
I started filling the car with E85 and I have a transit card from work to take the train for free. Otherwise, I eat in/drink in when I can, which I don’t do enough.

Brought a coffee maker to work so I wouldn’t have to buy a cup or two every day. I also pack a lunch when I can.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I put my paychecks in Amy's account. She's a saver I'm a spender. I hold a little back for cigars and alcohol.

I rarely buy any large ticket items new. Discovered the local auction near me and get deals like paying $100 for a barely used $1100 stove.

I pay cash for cars which keeps me from buying anything new. When repair bills start to climb, I sell that car for close to what I paid for it and get another a couple years newer.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
We need to eat out less desperately, but outside of that LED everything, smart home (Nest/Wink/Ring/Etc) has helped a lot of various things.

A/C compressor is brand new HE, all appliances are new HE.

Regular filter replacement on the 5 year old furnace to nurse some better efficiency out of it.

I had a thread on DD MPG a while back, and my commute is too low to care, and when I travel lately for work with the Burb they are paying mileage anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info