Home CCTV cameras ?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I was looking at doing (4) Unifi G3 domes, one on each corner of the house....

UVC-G3-DOME-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks to be more than enough for the house, and $130 a piece isnt bad. Going to check to see how much a 5 pack is though, might go with that if the price is right...

You ever hear about these cameras @tinfoilhat, or is there anything else you would recommend for $130'ish?

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3-dome/

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Never heard of the brand but based on some searching they are very proprietary and have had security issues in the recent past with a bunch of their products (march 2017).

To get all the features they advertise, you NEED to use their NVR and software. It does have RTSP integration (the most basic way to pull video from a camera is RTSP, you get the video and thats it. True video systems will have limited or full integration with the camera. If you go with their NVR, youll get all the features...if not....you can still get the video to work on another system but thats it)

The hardware is very similar to Hikvision cameras. The hardware is not bad.

Their NVR does have one advantage (assuming it works and isnt bullshit marketing) over Hikvision/other cheap brands is that it doesn't use a third party server to connect to your NVR. So IF they are honest, when you use the app remotely it should connect directly to your NVR at your house instead of routing through a third party.

There are mixed reviews on how well the system works. Some say it works good, some say they have lots of crashes and reboots. Mixed reviews on the cheaper stuff is common though and hard to determine if it was setup properly or if the person setting it up caused the issue or if its just a piece of hardware semi-failing so it works/doesnt work aka poor diagnostics.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I can't trust reviews really. One guy had a bad review and in the review he said that the company offered him $30 to take it down and he said no.
But makes you think how many are fake and how many were removed

Seeems the trendnet may still be the way to go. $109 for 3MP and $129 for 4MP

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I can't trust reviews really. One guy had a bad review and in the review he said that the company offered him $30 to take it down and he said no.
But makes you think how many are fake and how many were removed

Seeems the trendnet may still be the way to go. $109 for 3MP and $129 for 4MP

Reviews will always be like that. That's why you have to do research and find forums dedicated to the product you want. Those will usually be legit.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Trendnet is a big name. They are decent and usually have firmware updates to fix security issues. Plus they are fairly open so proprietary features shouldnt be an issue.

IMO, Axis is top dog in the camera industry right now. At least in the US. Expensive but they have some of the best software and features on the cameras and release regular firmware and security updates for products even 5+ years old.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Guy at my work bought a kit off amazon with 4 cameras. He loves them and it was only $200. I decided to try my luck with amazon. Got an 8 camera set for $135 with no HDD. however stupid me didn't realize it has no wireless so I will have to address that.
But before I take time to install the stuff, does anyone here do installs? Save me some time.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Timely thread again.

At the other house, I am seriously thinking about something. I'm tired of constantly finding my garage door with another ding in it, or a chunk taken out of the siding, or burn marks on my garbage can lids from cigar smoking and them filling up the cans with their empty beer and party shit when I need the cans. One time, I found the sensor for the motion light on the side of the garage turned up to avoid flipping on... I know which neighbor it is, but it would be nice to have it on camera and throw the proof in their face.

I would want something that is easy to install (meaning not much wiring), preferably with hard drive access as I have not intertubes connection there (I have spare PC's available if more disk drive space is needed), maybe motion sensing and only flip on when movement is detected.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info