• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

High-mileage G8 GT?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I mean... I feel like no dealership is going to go above and beyond to fix every little thing on a used car... Brakes squeaking? Fix. Brakes 500 miles from squeaking? Probably not going to do jack shit or even pay any mind to them. I don't care where you go, that's what you're gonna see. When you're buying a used car 90% is just hoping the last owner gave a shit.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I am not sure what dealers you have dealt with in the past that "shitty fix it". A repair is a repair, especially at a dealership. An oil pan gasket replacement is the same via reconditioning as it is if you brought it in. These types of claims are done and tracked and audited by GM from time to time.

Unless the dealer is performing shady tactics, in which case they will eventually get caught. It is not a shitty repair

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Or, it's a used car, that oil pan seeping isn't going to be something that's going to be noticed and you don't have the margin on the car to perform the repair, pay your techs, still detail, market and sell it?

That is all part of being in the car business. If it's so bad to the point you are saying they cannot fix things without making any sort of profit the car will probably be sent to auction or whole sale

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Or put on the lot... Older cars have issues, I'm not saying a 24,000 mile off-lease car should be put out there, but, typically they can get those things addressed under warranty. However, if I go look at a 2009 Somecar Whateverthefuck and it looks like there's some oil residue in the valley or on the oil pan, I'm not going to be incredibly surprised that the dealer didn't fix it... If you're trying to make everything perfect you're not going to make any money.

If there's a quart underneath the thing, sure, auction it or fix it, but, there has to be some level of reasonable expectation that a 12+ year old vehicle might not be perfect and isn't going to be overhauled to resell.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
And the general insurance on them is much higher. It is ridiculous how much I pay for a car that is almost eight years old.

Also, if you have the choice, get a 2009.5, that came with factory bluetooth.

Ok new dilemma. Came across an 06 GTO A4 for $8k with 130,000 miles. That's dirt cheap for 400hp. Anybody ever try to stuff two car seats in one?

Aside from what everyone has said about GM small block V8's, the reason insurance is high, is because of any body work on these cars. Any parts have to come from Australia, as they're now highly unlikely to already have some laying around in the GMNA parts network. Same thing, for the most part, with any drivetrain parts after the transmission.

As to fitting critters in the back of the GTO, that isn't the issue, it's getting them back there around the front seats. That is the PITA. The seats are slow to move, even using the autoforward/back button, and the flip forward of the seat back is very stiff (at least mine is anyway, I suppose that if you do it constantly, it may not be an issue). So if you still have a critter in a Graco bucket style seat, I'd be sticking to G8's. if they're older (like mine), and can crawl back there and buckle themselves in, not a problem.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
That'd be mine. Mine had just over 41 on it. It's at Anderson Chevy.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/6034819910.html

It was my daily driver. It was tuned by Speed Inc a long time ago. Only has Vararam and Solo Exhaust. 9C1 struts. I traded it with it's original wheels and tires. They still looked new and were only on in the winters. The control arms were replaced once and GM sent me a letter to have them done again 1 more time for the life of the car. The factory air box, touch up paint letter from GM, window sticker, etc is in the trunk if they didn't toss all of that.

Sold to this guy now. In case you wanted to know.

fdd8f68c29e3a0d6a2b7ffe3d79b16f5.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info