Health guys, help me out. (long ish)

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Greek yogurt, almond nuts, cliff bars, egg whites. Those are my go to snacks on almost a daily basis. Try to stay away from going to McDonald's and fast food places, along with vending machines.

Go to the store and buy about 15 Greek yogurts, a bunch of nuts, cliff bars, stock up..Toss a box of cliff bars in the car, at work, where ever you go. It's easier to eat healthy when you have stuff available and ready to go.
Good idea.
I'll try it. What else is a good option? I need decent variety.
Trying to figure out a healthy option for lunch. it's not like there are places known for their salad around here
The people who said get a an app to track your ingest nailed it. I lost 30lbs between quitting soda and using an app to track my ingest as well as 30-50 minutes a day of exercise. IMO any TV watching should be combined with say a stationary bike. Lose the soda and any food you can, you'll probably be better for it. I need to get back in the groove myself. It's something that's not instant, but the weight goes back on a hell of a lot easier than it comes off. Ultimately you have to make the effort and figure out something that works for you.

Also, quit caffeine for good. I'm coming up on a year, and it has done a lot for me in terms of those "slump cycles." Eating too much sugared crap will cause you to get them. I'm way better for not drinking a ton of soda, and these days I've noticed I start dropping off a few hours after having one.
Started with my fitness pal today.
That's the strange thing, last year I cut out pop for say 3-4 months. Didn't drop a damn pound

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
how come? not a fan of Mediterranean food?

Nope.
That's another one of my big issues. I'm just plain boring. burgers, pasta, chicken, tacos, etc etc. I don't care for any of that fancy stuff. Guys at work always want to get thai or chinese or things like that.
I used to eat chinese food for a little bit because of where I worked. they always ordered it for us. I used to feel so bloated and fat after that.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Agree with those that said start tracking what you eat in an app (myfitnesspal).

Go about your normal routine but start plugging in everything you eat in to myfitnesspal. DON'T MAKE ANY CHANGES YET...making changes without knowing what you consume makes no sense

Based on what you're saying, unless you have a humongo plate of spaghetti at dinner, if you're active all day long it's possible you're not eating enough. Even if you do have a large dinner, if you're starving all day long your body may be conserving fat (by slowing your metabolism) because it's not getting enough food to sustain itself throughout the day.

It's all just talk until you plug what you eat in to MFP. Then you can evaluate and make changes

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I simply just don't like a lot of healthy food. I hate vegetables, and fish, potatoes, tomatoes, shrimp, seafood, tuna etc. Can't even be the same room as someone with tuna or fish. Also literally have 0 time to work out or exercise.

one more piece of advice...throw this shit right out the window. You can't expect results if you want to severely limit what you're willing to change. You can get up 20 minutes earlier and do cardio or some body weight workouts, you can find some fish you like, you can switch your dinner from all pasta to 75% chicken and 25% pasta, etc

there's a million things you can do, but don't start by immediately dismissing most of them

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
one more piece of advice...throw this shit right out the window. You can't expect results if you want to severely limit what you're willing to change. You can get up 20 minutes earlier and do cardio or some body weight workouts, you can find some fish you like, you can switch your dinner from all pasta to 75% chicken and 25% pasta, etc

there's a million things you can do, but don't start by immediately dismissing most of them

That's about the truth, why expect different results if you don't change the process?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015

Fish is a no go 100%. Stinks up an entire house and the wife is deathly allergic so not even going to take a chance. We haven't had any sort of rice in the house for the past year either because my daughter was allergic to it. Even though the doctor said it's impossible; had her skin tested and her entire back swelled up. Now she eat it so that's good.
If I remember, it's white rice that is good for you and any other color isn't healthy?

Gamble, I am so like you it's not even funny. I wish you luck. I eat lots of chicken, fruits, almonds, salads (unfortunately only with French dressing) and eggs. Only veggies I do tolerate as I dislike them all too is broccoli and green beans.

Ha I knew there had to be someone else like me. My kids eat literally everything. I used to eat all the healthy stuff when I was a kit too. I tried broccoli but I can't seem to stomach it unless it's drowing in cheese. :rofl:
We eat a lot better when the wife has energy to plan and prep. But with her being pregnant she is exhausted and I don't have time to plan with doing all the other shit. I also have no idea what she will eat because being pregnant her taste buds are fucked. She won't even eat her favorite thing because it taste like metal.
I do try a lot of things, just can't force myself to do a lot of it.

I'll try this app for a few days and see where it gets me.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Not lately. Seems every time i had protein bars in the past I'd pay for it later. almost like eating white castle. That's the other issue, I have a sensitive stomach.
Eat something wrong and I'll be in the can for an hour and using an entire roll of tp

I didn't read the other 4 pages yet but my stomach is pretty sensitive and I'm lactose intolerant. Quest products sit pretty well with me and I think they are pretty tasty. I try to stay away from the protein bars that have more than 4g of sugar alcohol just to play safe even though the one they use is one of the more gentle ones out there.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Have the wife get the kids ready in the morning and start going to the gym. I get up at 4:45, Im at the gym by 5:10, lift, steam, sauna, and home by 6:50. Get the kids fed and out for the bus by 8. You can do it, its only hard to wake up the first few days, or if I drink to much the night before.

I just dont drink pop, no fast food, and very little processed food. I'm down about 10 lbs in the last 10 months, but have cut a large amount of fat and put on muscle. For me it wasnt about losing weight, but just getting in better shape and feeling better in general.

Water. Drink a shitload of it.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Have the wife get the kids ready in the morning and start going to the gym. I get up at 4:45, Im at the gym by 5:10, lift, steam, sauna, and home by 6:50. Get the kids fed and out for the bus by 8. You can do it, its only hard to wake up the first few days, or if I drink to much the night before.

I just dont drink pop, no fast food, and very little processed food. I'm down about 10 lbs in the last 10 months, but have cut a large amount of fat and put on muscle. For me it wasnt about losing weight, but just getting in better shape and feeling better in general.

Water. Drink a shitload of it.

Can't. she is out the door at 4:45 - 5am every morning.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
As a 42 year old who eats like total shit because the same reasons as you, force yourself to eat the stuff before you get to my age or you'll regret it tremendously. If I were in your shoes Id force myself to do it so my kids will have a dad until they're good and old..... I'd be using them as a reason to force myself to do it.

I was fine eating this way in my 20's when I was at a job where I was walking the entire plant the entire time at work, and going out and about... Then you get a job where you're sitting more and after a few years there still eating the same way you pack on 50 pounds.... God forbid you get a job where you're at a desk the vast majority of the day you'll be 100+ pounds over easy.

Lately I cut out two of the three stops for work and have lost 13 pounds since 2/1...

No more fast food breakfasts and I eat lunch at work.... I still pick up my food on the way home for dinner, but need to learn to cook for myself and start adding fruits and vegetables, I dunno what will finally force me to do it though, maybe a grabber will open my eyes as sad as it is to say...

42 years old, taking pills for high blood pressure, verge of needing something for cholesterol, guessing diabetes is around the corner, not a good outlook. You're going to have to force yourself to do it, plain and simple.

Take 20 minutes of your "work at night time" and do something cardio based with it is what I would recommend. I would say stop with any soda (I did that two years ago and just drink water for the most part) and I was in the same boat as you, I lost very little because of that change. But remembering the horrible migraines after stopping caffeine I know I was addicted to it.

Realistically, everyone here has given good advice, and if your answer to each is really going to be no, gross, or can't then you wont see any changes. My biggest advice is find a way to force yourself to do it. Don't wait too long or you'll likely regret it.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Can't. she is out the door at 4:45 - 5am every morning.

Then ask her if she wants a fit husband or a soft one? lol jk If its her job that early i guess your screwed. My wife and I switch off early morning workouts and luckily I have the flex right now to go later the days that she goes early so I usually get 4-5 days a week in. Plus I'm detailing again where I burn enough calories working I can basically eat whatever I want.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
How to lose weight "Move more, eat better, eat less."

Eating better is the key. Say goodbye to fast food unless it's a once in a while cheat meal. No more sugary drinks unless it's apple juice or orange juice (body still turns them into sugar but it's a different "better" sugar).
No more beer! Switch to hard alcohol is you want to get your drink on.
MODERATION MODERATION MODERATION!!! Eat smaller meals more often thru the day, meaning smaller portions 4-5 times a day.
Cliff Bars, Belvita (my favorite) or something along those lines are sometimes good enough for breakfast. Keep an eye on the nutritional facts on some of them though. A lot of those "energy bars" are about as good for you (or worse) than having a Snickers bar.
Snacks are good to get you thru the day as long as they're healthy snacks. Peanuts, almonds, pecans etc are phenomenal sources of protein and energy. Try looking at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for their granola cups. They have 20oz cups of granola with nuts, blueberries etc that are actually delicious and will not only give you sustainable energy but help "keep you full".
Fruit and veggies......there's no way around them. Find the ones you like and eat them ALL THE TIME. Canned shit doesn't count, that's usually worse or as bad as going for fast food due to all the crap they put in there to preserve them.
Yogurt and cottage cheese helps in not only helping with digestion but it also helps clean out the bad shit that's already inside you.
Oatmeal. Don't like it? Too fucking bad, you'll get used to it and then you'll crave it. Put some maple syrup and brown sugar in it. It'll help get you thru your morning while helping the yogurt, nuts, fruits and veggies and all the other good things you're doing to get rid of all the bad stuff you've been putting in.

If you have a sensitive stomach (I do) you have to cater to it a little and ease into a somewhat drastic change in diet but on the bright side it doesn't take long for your body to adjust. If fruits and veggies give you the "green apple hurry ups" like White Castle does it's not the fruits and veggies.....it's the White Castle and other junk that's literally stuck to your insides.

Find time once a week for meal prep and make food for you for the week. You'll be surprised how easy and quickly you can make food for yourself for an entire week once you figure out what you need and what you don't need (learning curve is about 3 weeks). Chicken breast, rice, fresh veggies don't take much time to cook and while one thing is cooking you can be making something else to consolidate your time. I can make a weeks worth of food for 3 meals a day in an hour or less, it's not that hard nor is it that time consuming. If you want quick easy recipes let me know.

Starting to be healthy is easy, maintaining it is the hard part until you realize it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change. But it's a change for the better and once you get to a certain point you crave eating things that are good for you that once made you disgusted and be disgusted by things you used to eat all the time.

Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info