Fun family hauler $32k and under.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
With our one kid and multiple dogs, I had a 2 door VW GTI when my daughter was born. It was just about right, but needed four doors. I then went to a VW Jetta Sportwagen with the 2.5, and loved the expansive cargo room and the way it drove. But I got bored with the non-turbo in it as it didn't have enough "oomph" to satisfy me.

Currently, I have a 2014 Jetta sedan with the 1.8 turbo with an APR tune on it. This hits all the right spots for me right now. It was cheap to buy with the manual. The trunk is HUGE. A cheap rear sway bar really helped the handling but didn't sacrifice ride quality. I get over 30mpg in mixed driving, and have gotten over 40mpg on the highway. A tune can be had with 87 or 93 octane if you want more power, or there are plug in devices as well to add more fuel and boost. The GLI is of course a little more powerful and a little more sporty, but I couldn't justify the extra expense of the GLI versus what I could do to tweak the car on my own.

If I needed more space for kid stuff again, I'd absolutely go with the VW Golf Sportwagen. They have the 1.8 turbo and are also available in AWD. If you can get past the "it's a station wagon mentality", you'll find they handle better than any SUV and are typically more fun to drive. Big panoramic roof, CarPlay, Android Auto, and plenty of safety features. Definitely check out a few of the VW offerings while you are there.
2017-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-inline1-photo-657929-s-original.jpg
2015_golf_sportwagen_4739-600-001.jpg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
With our one kid and multiple dogs, I had a 2 door VW GTI when my daughter was born. It was just about right, but needed four doors. I then went to a VW Jetta Sportwagen with the 2.5, and loved the expansive cargo room and the way it drove. But I got bored with the non-turbo in it as it didn't have enough "oomph" to satisfy me.

Currently, I have a 2014 Jetta sedan with the 1.8 turbo with an APR tune on it. This hits all the right spots for me right now. It was cheap to buy with the manual. The trunk is HUGE. A cheap rear sway bar really helped the handling but didn't sacrifice ride quality. I get over 30mpg in mixed driving, and have gotten over 40mpg on the highway. A tune can be had with 87 or 93 octane if you want more power, or there are plug in devices as well to add more fuel and boost. The GLI is of course a little more powerful and a little more sporty, but I couldn't justify the extra expense of the GLI versus what I could do to tweak the car on my own.

If I needed more space for kid stuff again, I'd absolutely go with the VW Golf Sportwagen. They have the 1.8 turbo and are also available in AWD. If you can get past the "it's a station wagon mentality", you'll find they handle better than any SUV and are typically more fun to drive. Big panoramic roof, CarPlay, Android Auto, and plenty of safety features. Definitely check out a few of the VW offerings while you are there.
2017-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-inline1-photo-657929-s-original.jpg
2015_golf_sportwagen_4739-600-001.jpg

I just can't get passed any station wagon ever or mini van and since my parents had a gm station wagon

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I just can't get passed any station wagon ever or mini van and since my parents had a gm station wagon
Yeah, growing up my friend's parents had some of those big land yachts with the third row facing backwards. They were frumpy, lumpy, and dumpy LOL. I think the Europeans manage to pull off the look quite well (CTS-V, honorable mention) and they are more common and accepted in Europe of course. Wagons look far better than mini vans and most SUVs though, especially when done right:

960_hrsprings_sportwagen.jpg

Some more "upscale" wagons that break the wagon stigma:
merc-amg-twin-071_0.jpg

02-IMG_6694.jpg

BMW-328i-xDrive-Touring-With-Vossen-Wheels-1-750x500.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F10%2Fpolestar_engineered_016-1140x641.jpg

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Make sure you try your car seat in the thing before you buy. We had a Britax car seat and the space it took when rear facing wiped a lot of vehicles off the list because we didn't have enough room for me to operate the pedals/wheel safely.

That being said my wife really liked the Mazda CX9 and it's low-rpm turbo torque.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Make sure you try your car seat in the thing before you buy. We had a Britax car seat and the space it took when rear facing wiped a lot of vehicles off the list because we didn't have enough room for me to operate the pedals/wheel safely.

Good thinking! We don't have a kid yet tho, so no car seat. But I will keep that in mind.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I don't have kids yet, but I'd definitely favor an suv or at the very least a wagon.

My mom has a 16 Hyundai Tucson with every available option and I gotta say it's really nice and fairly fun to drive. Panoramic roof, adaptive CC, lane departure, heated/cooled seats up front, and heated seats in rear. I believe it stickered around 36k, but could probably be had for your price range.
I'd pick that Jetta over a Ford Escape purely for looks and actual fun potential. There's no way an escape is "fun" to drive
The Escape with the 2.0 is actually pretty fun. Thing has some pep for sure!

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Like I said, if there is an SS in this house it'll be mine and I can all but guarantee the gas mileage would be horrendous. Plus it'd have to be driven everyday and I doubt they're anywhere close to my truck for winter driving ability. If we lived in a warmer snow free climate I'd already have an SS or CTS-V.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
We absolutely love our SHO. It's been perfect for my wife, daughter and I. Super fun to drive, plenty of room and comfortable. Taken it on some long journeys around different parts of the country and it never disappoints. I loved thrashing it in the mountains.

Anywho, it's been great for us. I'm contemplating buying another SHO or an SS for me.

Flame away haters.

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004
I don't have kids yet, but I'd definitely favor an suv or at the very least a wagon.

My mom has a 16 Hyundai Tucson with every available option and I gotta say it's really nice and fairly fun to drive. Panoramic roof, adaptive CC, lane departure, heated/cooled seats up front, and heated seats in rear. I believe it stickered around 36k, but could probably be had for your price range.

The Escape with the 2.0 is actually pretty fun. Thing has some pep for sure!

My brother works for Hyundai corp and we buy his demo cars, I have owned a 2016 Tucson limited, every option for the last year and while I LOVE it, I have one issue and it's a major, the DCT trans has been a massive pain in the ass. They've had 2 reflashes for it due to non-engagement from a stop, yeah that happened to me and thankfully it was in a parking lot and not at a light where traffic was coming at me. Since the last reflash it has a slight shudder from a stop. I'll also say the 1.6 T is a dog, not real happy with that part either.

That said, everything else about the car I love, the look, the features, etc.. We get new ones every year so I'm going to be getting out of this one in the next couple of months.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I had an escape as a rental car. It had AWD and the 1.6L EB. It was certainly peppy enough, but i wouldn't call it sporty. Still. I didn't hate it, it was one of the better rental cars I had.

I recently had to rent a car for work to go on a Road Trip. Rented a Lincoln MKX. Had the V6 with AWD. Had plenty of get up and go, and I was surprised by its handling. Was fun mashing the gas from a stop while turning. Didn't roll much if at all. Didn't like its push button gear select though. But the sound system was good, plenty of room.

I know the Lincoln is more than your price, but I the MKX is built on the same platform as the Ford Edge, and I can find those in your price range and being 16's with low miles. I found one with the V6 Ecoboost, with a tune it would haul in a straight line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info