For Those Who Have Removed A/C

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I love my AC and would never remove it. Even on the race car I had a leak so I had to replace a line, couple o-rings and get a recharge, it was worth it.

See how you non-ac people feel on Thursday. For me, removing the ac for anything but a straight up race-car, is a terrible decision.

The cars I own now and will own in the future will all be fun street cars. With that being said, I want every car I own to be able to be driven daily with every single creature comfort that came with it. I will never sacrifice creature comfort for more performance.

All of this. Comfort > racecar.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I never really used the A/C in the previous 2 cars, but in the Regal I use it all the damn time. The weekend before last when TO went to Champaign for a show, it was nice to be the only one with A/C when everbody else's race car was without and complaining the whole trip :mamoru:

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Unless it's a dedicated racecar, there are a few days where you will fully regret not having AC, even if you don't mind it on the others. A daily driver will pretty much NEED the AC at one point or another if for nothing more than the windshield defogger. I start shitting my pants when the 3000 AC decides not to work and I get caught in the rain at night. Sucks serious balls. The GP is uncomfortable when I take it out on super hot days, but I can deal with it. The drives home from the track or Nationals is when it sucks the worst but I kinda just write it off "becuz racecar." It's wonderful having ice cold AC in the truck and when it works in the 3000.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've had several cars with broken A/C, never bothered me till I got the Mini. With that car, which had motor mount inserts, the a/c would shake the whole car so I just stopped using it. With the Talon, I didn't want it for a cleaner engine bay. I was on the side of no a/c and windows down all the time.

Now that the CV has amazing air conditioning, I never want a car without it again. I don't always use it, but on highway drives it's nice to have some quiet cool air. My soon to be truck's a/c is broken, but will be fixed I have to drive it cross-country. Sometimes there are hot days where no amount of windows down will cool you off.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Does removing the A/C make THAT much of a difference in weight savings and power? Let's say I dropped my A/C in the Mustang, how much gain would it actually be? Less than a tenth?

I think the only reason for some people to remove the A/C is to brag about not having it.

"Wow, you don't have any A/C in your automobile?!?! It must be fast!"

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
i forgot about the defroster.... i hated not having AC and needing the defroser

This 100%. I remember a few rainy nights in the Camaro back in the day, that balance between having the window open vs. getting soaked to prevent the windows from fogging up... Same with the Aspire, if there is any moisture in the air or it's cold out (or both), that thing fogs up faster than a steam room.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
When I had the SS, I think removing the A/C would save around 50lbs, that's not even worth a tenth.

Actually depending on the setup it will be worth a tenth or more. Its not just the weight its the location of the weight which when it comes to A/C because is all on the nose. Its the same reason the battery is moved to the trunk and the sway bar is removed, Light weight K members, skinnies, and Light hoods are used on drag cars. Plus on the F-bodies no AC makes spark plug changing a simple job.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
lol.. just noticed this today working on the car. the Accessory belt routing sticker has the A/C belt section crossed off. Funny part is I don't remember doing it.

image_22.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info