Focus ST turbos as twins. What do you think?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
All the top stock turbo numbers are in the 270-300whp range, pump gas or E85, and there are enough examples of each that I'm confident it's an accurate ballpark. Besides, I'm all too familiar with pushing baby turbos well off their map.

Highest HP Focus ST's

FocusST.org is ripe with vDyno logs being used as a real dyno. It not the same. I take any numbers on FocusST.org with a tablespoon of salt.

FocusST.org is ripe with vDyno logs being used as a real dyno. It not the same. I take any numbers on FocusST.org with a tablespoon of salt.

I dunno, the guy that started that thread and compiled the list appears to be a vendor/shop for the platform and specifically references dyno sheets.

In any case, 270hp, 290hp, what does it matter and why split hairs? We're not talking about setting records here, we're talking about a more responsive and durable setup for CHEAPS to get to the 500-600hp figure that your average 3800 turbo setup makes. Plus, you guys know how I like to be different.

Got some Camaro manifolds ordered. They appear turn up instead of down from the flange and have a center merge so it should hopefully be possible to mount the turbos directly in front of and behind the engine that way and still have a nice gravity-drain oiling setup. Going to be out of town this weekend so it will most likely be a couple weeks before I can start fitting anything.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
You need to post pictures of the car. Or I do. It's stunning. Best example of a Bonneville I've ever seen. :wackit:

Challenge accepted.
Please share. Mine was bought new my mother in 97 and I have cared for it ever since. Only like 87k on it. Unfortunately got into a fender bender last year so the front end has been painted. But the rest is original and rust free. Oh, and I may have owned a detail shop for several years and know how to keep my shit right.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Challenge accepted.
Please share. Mine was bought new my mother in 97 and I have cared for it ever since. Only like 87k on it. Unfortunately got into a fender bender last year so the front end has been painted. But the rest is original and rust free. Oh, and I may have owned a detail shop for several years and know how to keep my shit right.

Lets see some updated photos of that beauty [MENTION=112]ktraver97ss[/MENTION]

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Haven't taken a pic of it in forever, but it is freshly cleaned so Ill see what I can do this week. Its actually going to go into storage for a while. Wife has a new job where she is going to be driving 2-3k a month so Im getting her a dd. Plan is to pull it back out in a couple years when I have more time to tinker with it.

This was the last pic I took.

IMG_20160416_174156639_zpsbjjjqtwe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This guy does NOT mess around.

Gotta keep up the momentum or it will turn into another stalled project, lol. I am going out of town tomorrow for half a week or so, but hopefully a couple weekends of dicking around when I get back and I'll have something workable.

I decided to put the 2nd one right next door because I liked the idea of just Y-ing all the supply/return lines and such...and it was going to be highly unpleasant to squeeze it behind the engine. I had placed the first one without really any consideration for that so the downpipe merge is going to be a nightmare...and I'm not sure if I'll have space without some cradle spacing. Which could be a problem because I may be wider than the bay and not enough room to drop the assembly much. Ford uses some ultra-thick Vband type deal, so I'll probably have to cut the exhaust housings down and just weld something on and try to half-ass an ugly but functional merge. I had intended to flange that rear pre-turbo pipe somewhere, but as it turns out I can still install/remove the assembly so I'm not going to bother.

Also going to have to get creative with the wiring harness to get all the wiring out of that area. Needless to say it's not the most well thought-out mounting but it was quick and relatively painless so far and the oil/water lines and intake plumbing should be relatively simple.

That's going to be a tall order unless I can sell something. I'm about $1,500 short of paying the credit card this month already and I figure this needs $500 more worth of stuff minimally to be on the road. I had a deal working on a couple of my old projects but that fell through. I might be able to loan myself some money against my tax return. I'll do an inventory of my scrap to see if I have enough to kind of hack together a downpipe. Might be able to avoid buying an intercooler if I go air/water and recycle some of my Mercedes parts. If I can get it down to just the fuel stuff and oil/water lines that I actually need to buy then I might just go ahead and order it. I've got a full month of float before my Amex comes due again (just paid it today but there's already the $1,500 on there from since that last statement closed...stupid mercedes parts, lol).

Ordered some cheapo vband kits so I can get started on the downpipe when I get back. I decided I will just use one of the fuel pumps out of my Buick and replace it when I get that car closer to done. Injectors on the way as well. I *think* I can find somewhere to stuff the spare Mercedes A/W intercoolers and heat exchanger/pump so intercooling cost will just be piping/couplers.

Getting it done IN October is definitely do-able, but don't know about in early October. I expect to hit some kind of hang-up or other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info