First Tesla Road Trip. A Quick Recap

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I was going to ask why you took the long way to Nashville. You are like the third person Ive heard taking this route recently instead of going down 65.

However, if you went that way, there is only Indy and Louisville it appears for charging. Which kinda sucks.

i just googled plainfield to nashville... wtf is that :rofl: it pulled that way up

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Basically if your car is 100% fully charged and you don’t unplug and move your car. You get charged .40 cents per minute you sit there.

It’s there to stop people from hogging chargers from those who need to fill up on trips

holy shit :rofl:

i mean i get it, but like, if you aren't done with your forced lunch you better get out there quick and get that ripper moved real fast

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wish they would do that at gas stations.... In particular the ONLY 2 diesel pumps in a 10 nozzle station in which stupid pedestrian gassers have to go to

fuck yes

i dont own a diesel, and i rarely drive one, but the fuck heads that block those pumps, well or block any pumps are the fucking worst.

8 pumps? one open? k ill park at this one and walk inside to get some gogurt even though i dont even need gas.

a;ldsj;lackmsd;clmalsdmk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I've completely lost it several times on people. Some fuck one time filled up, then proceeded to empty his garbage out of his truck, then clean windows, but before he got any further I just went off on him and he got the fuck out. Also the air horns move people right quick too. But fuck is it frustrating

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Basically if your car is 100% fully charged and you don’t unplug and move your car. You get charged .40 cents per minute you sit there.

It’s there to stop people from hogging chargers from those who need to fill up on trips

Are you charged this even when there are other stations available?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I believe the threshold is 80% full. The phone app will give you a notification saying this charging station is busy and you will be charged etc if you do not move once complete. If there is really no one there I do not believe it charges you.

That sounds fair at least. I couldn't imagine having no choice but to eat at a crappy cracker barrel while charging in the middle of podunk nowhere, then being notified that you have to eat and get back to the car within 20 minutes....only to walk out and see 5 open stations. The level of rage that i'd feel can't be explained through text lol

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Interesting write up.

Looks to me like there is a current shortage of chargers in lesser populated areas of the country. Sometimes that won't be a problem but I wonder how a trip that went through the Dakotas and Montana, for instance, would work?

It.... Wouldn't...?

I'm with alux on this one. If you wanted to road trip to Yellowstone in a gas vehicle it's 22 hours 7 minutes. On Tesla's route planner it's 29 hours flat. 9 stops to charge. The first 8 are 30-45 minutes, the last one is 80 MINUTES and it's only 240 miles from yellowstone, which is in the middle of what i'd consider the "home stretch" if I were in a gas car.

Fuck.
That.

It's an awesome vehicle, just not a road trip vehicle. The longer the trip, the worse the aggravation. It's rare for people to actually take 15+ hour road trips though so i don't think that's much of a problem.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The battery swap program shut down because it wasn't really feasible. The station is still there. It's in Porter Ranch, CA. Looks like a gas station car wash. Mostly because I think it used to be a gas station car wash.

The original program was designed so that you'd swap your pack and then they'd swap it back on the return trip but there's tons of reasons why that might not work. For one, if you're taking a road trip and going one route one way but another route back, that doesn't work.

And the reason they had to do this is because you'd get your actual battery back. Different cars have different size batteries and in addition to that they had different revisions of the different size batteries.

Supercharging times drastically improved a couple years ago rendering the stations more or less obsolete before they were even put into widespread use. Additionally, the smaller more efficient cars charge at even faster rates. The Model 3's are getting over 400m/h charge rates because they have smaller batteries and are more efficient. Another reason to get a 3 over an S.

But really the network is growing so quickly that there's no real practical application for the swap and the logistics would be a nightmare. In the time since I bought my first Tesla the amount of superchargers on the 5 between LA and San Francisco has gone from something like 3 stops and 32 stalls to 8 different options and 146 stalls. Superchargers are popping up so quick now that I don't even know where they all are in the area any longer.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Also I think the car is a perfectly fine road trip vehicle. Obviously if you'r the guy driving 12 hours and peeing into a jug this car isn't for you but I'm not that guy and I never have been. We've taken ours to Phoenix and San Francisco multiple times. Th minimal aggravation of having to stop is quickly overcome by free energy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info