find owner with license plate

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
driving is a privilege, not a right.............and if you are suspended, wanted or have kidnapped a child and the info is attached to your plate, it is my god damn business.
Just because your area decided to throw out the 4th amendment doesnt mean there arent people out there that still believe in our rights to privacy. Some departments still require a valid reason for running plates.

Just FYI fear mongering is a poor excuse for unwarranted searches.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
Privilege vs right is arguable. Americans have the right to travel freely unmolested. DLs are still a relatively new invention.

Like a sovereign citizen? Im out, I get paid to argue with people like you, but im not doing it on my off time. Ill answer any car guys question about tickets, Illinois rules of the road, etc. I know where you stand and you know where I stand. You have a nice clean car, with that, im dropping the subject.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Like a sovereign citizen? Im out, I get paid to argue with people like you, but im not doing it on my off time. Ill answer any car guys question about tickets, Illinois rules of the road, etc. I know where you stand and you know where I stand. You have a nice clean car, with that, im dropping the subject.

We can disagree with each other but still be respectful of one another. Thanks man. Let's lighten the thread up, what do you own/work on?

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
We can disagree with each other but still be respectful of one another. Thanks man. Let's lighten the thread up, what do you own/work on?

Agreed, and I wish it was more like this in our communities where the line of communication was more available for debate/discussion.

I actually had a TBSS, sold it with only 17k miles with 3 years on it (had HID's on it BTW, probably roasting myself on that one). Cheers man, enjoy your Sat night!

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Agreed, and I wish it was more like this in our communities where the line of communication was more available for debate/discussion.

I actually had a TBSS, sold it with only 17k miles with 3 years on it (had HID's on it BTW, probably roasting myself on that one). Cheers man, enjoy your Sat night!
Nice! Thanks buddy you too

(I keep talking myself out of selling mine)

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
yes and no. yes, im LEO. No, i shouldn't just run the plate to find the owner info to contact him personally.

i didn't know if someone had the know how. i had my BMW posted up for sale/trade and someone texted me and i was like WTF!?!? they said they ran my plate and already got a carfax on it and got my contact info. so obviously there is a way to do it, in which i was hoping TCG might know how.

carfax has an option to run the car based on the plate, it doesnt give owner information though, just car history.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Some CPD cruisers have plate recognition software and cameras that scan every vehicle all the time.

I have no problem with it.

Agreed, there are private companies scanning every plate in a lot looking for cars to repo. Doesn't bother me as I have nothing to hide.

And I agree that driving is a privilege not a right, just like spandex.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I had a random blue van pull in my driveway 3X over the summer guy gets out. Rings my door bell and leaves. Never left anything. I got the plate and would love to know who it is. Talked to my lawyer friend but apparently her contact can't run plates anymore. Talked to a cop buddy he said he can't do it. He told me if I am concerned file a report with local PD and they will probably run it but they wouldn't tell you who it is. However if they got a few reports of this guy going to houses they might question him. Like if he was staking out houses or something. Some websites claim to be able to get info from plates but I doubt they are real.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So in other words you drive around tailgating people while texting and driving just cuz'

Automated through the in car video, I dont touch a button. I mean, yes I tailgate, with a beer in between my legs, drunk and running plates. Does that fit your agenda a bit better?

All LEO's do it. They're looking for criminals and people with warrants, not the every day schmoe.

And like 093LZ and several others have said, many departments have specific plate cameras mounted around the vehicle that can autonomously run plates of vehicles around the cruiser and if anything flags, it'll alert the officer in the car. I think Elgin has a few squads with this as does West Chicago. I think I saw one Exploder with them.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
All LEO's do it. They're looking for criminals and people with warrants, not the every day schmoe.

And like 093LZ said, many departments have specific plate cameras mounted around the vehicle that can autonomously run plates of vehicles around the cruiser and if anything flags, it'll alert the officer in the car.
Just because you're fine with being tracked like an animal through automated surveillance doesnt mean we all are

I see it as a privacy violation just as road checkpoints are concerned.

It's scary to think how many people willfully perpetuate 1984.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Two points

1) I never said I was fine with it. But it is what it is, which leads to point #2

2) I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm not wanted under warrants, and I do not have any other issues that I need to be worried about, so I don't really care to be honest. They're not looking up my bank account, my blood type or my Wife's bra size. Just looking to see if I have warrants and that the plates match the vehicle most likely.

Those that usually are the most concerned are those with something to hide...

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Those who spew the line "nothing wrong nothing to hide" to appease a subservient attitude are usually those ignorant to the 4th amendment and dont value privacy at all.

My location and information beibg collected at random due to an ever-growing surveillance state is something we should not be normalizing.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm not ignorant of the 4th Amendment or any that precede it. But again, it's going to happen. If you want it to stop, take it to the Illinois General Assembly. It just isn't worth it as a battle for me.

I know a Batavia cop ran mine in the Suburban this morning as I was pulling out of the school I drop my kids off at. He pulled out from the school lot very slowly behind me and I knew the plate was being run. But what the fuck am I gonna do... Get out and confront him?

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
If you truly have nothing to hide stick true to your word.

Install some state supplied cameras in your home while you're at it.

Afterall, that's the next step once govt has their way surveilling the public at every facet.

Ever hear the expression "give an inch, they take a mile"? I suggest everyone learn this.

2nd amendment for example, look at how little by little those have been chiseled away. The people have no way or form to assemble a mass gathering to actually do something about it thanks to mass surveillance. Its all about absolute control with these freaks.

Plates were never designed to automatically track peoples movements and where abouts. It was to provide identification to those who commit a crime on a roadway. Now the government wants to use them like a GPS. For revenue too.

What's next? Normalizing actual government GPS in all US manufactured vehicles since "we already track your plates via automated systems"?

Think how many rights have been chiseled away because of this mindset of "well we removed a small portion of this, what's it to remove just another small portion?"

In the end you have a govt with absolute control. Something the founding fathers never intended and warned us about.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
And after all that, if I know your full name, the fact that you live in northwest indiana, I (or anyone else here) could find your address in less than 5 minutes on Google without paying a dime and you wouldn't have a clue I/they did it.

But a LEO looking up your info from a plate input or scan while they're around you, has you worried about rights being violated.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
I'm not ignorant of the 4th Amendment or any that precede it. But again, it's going to happen. If you want it to stop, take it to the Illinois General Assembly. It just isn't worth it as a battle for me.

I know a Batavia cop ran mine in the Suburban this morning as I was pulling out of the school I drop my kids off at. He pulled out from the school lot very slowly behind me and I knew the plate was being run. But what the fuck am I gonna do... Get out and confront him?
What are going to do about it? Spreading opposition to this predatory practice is the first step to winning any fight.

Simply going with it is enabling this poor behavior

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info