EPIC WET-SAND: BMW M3 full orange peel removal. Video

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Here's the 1500, damn near perfect. And it's dirty as fuck right now. I've yet to buff it. Gonna do it this summer.

y5etabev.jpg

y3u5yqum.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
with the right setup- waterborne can be beneficial to a shop quite a bit.. but you just have to have insane drying power (airflow).

In the proper environment waterborn shouldn't leave any more or less peel.

the problem here lies in the fact that the majority of the people purchasing new vehicles, don't give a shit about it or know what it is (orange peel) and time can be saved just throwing paint on fast at the expense of the customers who "care"

Water borne paint has nothing to do with orange peel lol.
1. Its how the clear is applied and how many coats that determines the peel. Because all car manufactures cut corners they apply just enough clear coat to make the car shine and push it out the door with no fucks given.

2. If you look through the clear and focus on the base coat you may or may not see that the base has the texture of sand. That could be because it was sprayed to dry or the sealer under the base is fucked and your not going to wet sand that out. sorry

3. Next time you see a newer silver domestic car out in the sun stand back and look at the entire side. You will see light and dark spots all over also probably stripes in the hood. This is again a base coat problem under the clear and that is the manufacture cutting corners again by not applying enough coats of base and you can see the sealer thought the base and clear. I say to look at silver Chevy Silverado or Traverse because it will be most noticeable. I can see the gray sealer the GM used through the white on my Grand Prix, drives me nuts.

I kept reading a lot of wrong info in this thread. Wet sanding clear only gets rid of the orange peel in the clear and the base has nothing to do with the texture of the clear. Its just the nature of the clear to want to flow out a little bit, therefore you can pound clear on horizontal panels like hood with out it running vs spraying a vertical panel

BOOOOOOM KNOWLEDGE BOMBS IN THIS BITCH

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
i wish i knew what the hell i was doing when it comes to detailing. my car, no fucks given. but my bike needs a serious clay/wax job and i haven't a clue where to start. been thinking about getting a porter cable and giving it a shot but for the price involved i think i could just pay someone. but then i would need a good detailer.. which i dont know?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I don't know if its my monitor, or if I don't know what Im looking for, but I must be missing said peel. :dunno:

look at the lines of the building, i can't see much in the second picture but you can see it in the first picture if you look at he lines of the objects.

Yep, x2. Lighter colors like that you can't really tell from looking at an angle like that. But the picture from straight on, every shadow and outline in the reflection is wavy as fuck. My car is like that too to some extent.

Terminator-Fux

Everybody Wants Some!
Dec 27, 2009
Maybe its the color. I was looking at mine again in the sun today. I am glad I got the rail dust off. The whole truck was covered with it. I wish more people actually cared, all vehicles would be wrapped during shipping.

I saw a hauler the other day loaded with new C7's. The cars were all completely wrapped in white covers.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Maybe its the color. I was looking at mine again in the sun today. I am glad I got the rail dust off. The whole truck was covered with it. I wish more people actually cared, all vehicles would be wrapped during shipping.

Next time buy IronX, you just spray it on and the rail/brake dust stains just rinse right off. I will never try to clay off that shit ever again. I just did my buddies white TBSS that he drove with shot brakes way too long and it was literally completely covered in rusty stains. The IronX ate right through that shit.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Next time buy IronX, you just spray it on and the rail/brake dust stains just rinse right off. I will never try to clay off that shit ever again. I just did my buddies white TBSS that he drove with shot brakes way too long and it was literally completely covered in rusty stains. The IronX ate right through that shit.

good stuff. works great on the boat too

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL

I wish I knew that before I spent 6 hours clay baring it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info