Emissions Testing Guy Didn't Really Assist Me With My Question or Issues

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
But then you reinstall the o2 sensors correct? And the resistor and other thing just changes the electric current to make it think the cats are working?

That's what I was gathering. I can't say it will work for sure because different cars run different tests to check for the oxygen sensor efficiency but that does refer to ford EEC so I figure if you have the old sensors or buy some cheap ones from rock auto you can test it out.

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I have the old ones in my trunk along with the old cats. Just gotta cut and weld some bungs into the new exhaust.

Yeah cause if I understand right they test it by the temperature of the gases which then in turn they send a certain strength electrical signal off and I think the less it is the better it is? So if they put something into the lines that change it so the signal is less all the time it'd be making it think that it is working? Because I think the tests the cars run are to see if there is a change in the reading from the rear ones or something and that wouldn't prevent that it would just make the readings lower then they are the whole time?

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Ha HA! I think I found possibly another solution. Getting a waiver for it as a race car. But not sure if they say you can't plate it then?

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/show-car.pdf

Says all you need to do is fill out that form and send them pictures or documents identifying it as a race car... No insurance proof needed like for show cars because after all race cars can't be insured.... May try this method too if I can't figure it out the other ways

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
"Before I took off the muffler my car was street legal. Its a 1996 and has to be tested. I sent a picture of my car with the 8 point roll cage and stated that it was for racing and show. Received a letter stating that my car is exempt.No more test... Renew my plates every year."

Looks like I may have my answer :fy:

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah cause if I understand right they test it by the temperature of the gases which then in turn they send a certain strength electrical signal off and I think the less it is the better it is? So if they put something into the lines that change it so the signal is less all the time it'd be making it think that it is working? Because I think the tests the cars run are to see if there is a change in the reading from the rear ones or something and that wouldn't prevent that it would just make the readings lower then they are the whole time?

Actually the catalyst efficiency is measured by the inputs to the PCM from the front & rear O2's. A PCM in good fuel control will have a good idea of what gases are being fed to the cat from the front O2 or AFS.
It then monitors the rear O2 signal, then the specific vehicle software (in PCM) run the catalyst monitor.
Even if the front O2's are air fuel sensors same logic behind it.
The rear O2's are basic oxygen sensors.

They make voltage in relation to the oxygen content in the exhaust with the sensor warmed to the proper temperature .
In other words it only measures oxygen.
The rear O2's measure the catalyst oxygen storage capability.
It is an excellent indicator of cat health.

It is pretty simple, it's the software behind it that varies between MFG's & even model years of same car line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info