Das tow pig

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The laundry list so this thing will be an un-stoppable rig (Failure while towing cannot be an option).

OverDrive button kit (the plastic was missing)
Air Filter
Serpentine
Rear trailing arms
lower ball joints
inner/outer tie rod ends and sleeves
Front Ceramic Brake Pads
Upper control arms and ball joints (already have)
Fresh Oil Change (already done)
Replaced main rear brake line 'feed'
Clean up stereo wiring
Remove alarm
Tires/Alignment
Rear pass side door
Remove side steps
Paint 2 front wheels
Sand and undercoat bottoms of doors and rockers

Quite a list, but I'm excited for it to be all done.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What are you towing that is so important? And if it is, why not buy a better rig to start with?

The short term is to be able to haul the bimmer around to GLD/Byron/Joliet/Etc. The long term plan is to be able to go to actual road-course tracks like Road Atlanta etc, potentially towing 2 cars (Cooper and Bimmer). It would be reasonably catastrophic if I had a failure that wasn't repairable with a trailer more than 50 miles from home. That goes for any truck towing a load a long distance though.

I had a better/newer rig originally (The ram), but quickly realized that having 2 car payments was not ideal, especially since we hardly drove the Ram.

I have no problem working on ford full-size trucks, and they are very predictable with what they need (and VERY cheap to fix).

Obviously there is added benefit of owning something that can haul 8 people, and chug through horrid weather as well.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
And towing both cars with that?

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-1999.pdf

According to this the most you could tow is 7900 lbs, that is assuming it is equipped that way.

I just don't see it, your cars are light, but together they will probably weigh 6k that leaves 1900 for the trailer and you are at the MAX.

These guys sell super light AL trailers and they weigh 2400 and cost a BUNCH of money: J&F Trailers - Aluminum 2-Car Hauling Trailers

I think you need a bigger rig, 3/4 for sure.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Rv plus is 100 miles......

You just like to chime into everything?

it could be 2 miles, I still will need to call about the trailer stuff.

And towing both cars with that?

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-1999.pdf

According to this the most you could tow is 7900 lbs, that is assuming it is equipped that way.

I just don't see it, your cars are light, but together they will probably weight 6k that leaves 1900 for the trailer and you are at the MAX.

These guys sell super light AL trailers and they weigh 2500 and cost a BUNCH of money: J&F Trailers - Aluminum 2-Car Hauling Trailers

I think you need a bigger rig, 3/4 for sure.

Fair enough, Like I said, that would be a long-term plan, so if it doesn't include the Expo, so be it (Years from now).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I just don't see it, your cars are light, but together they will probably weigh 6k that leaves 1900 for the trailer and you are at the MAX.

Just took a look:

Mini is 2,535, and the bimmer was 2,800 (and is stripped silly now). The 5.0 with Alum heads is actually about the same weight as the original bimmer motor, so I'm probably closer to 5K for the pair.

Mine has the tow package, and so long as it has 3.73's, it is rated to that 7,9XX limit with a load-leveling hitch, otherwise 5K is what ford recommends with a normal hitch.

Either way, that won't happen for years :(.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
You just like to chime into everything?

it could be 2 miles, I still will need to call about the trailer stuff.

Fair enough, Like I said, that would be a long-term plan, so if it doesn't include the Expo, so be it (Years from now).

I was just letting you know it's 100 miles....no reason to be a bitch.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I was just letting you know it's 100 miles....no reason to be a bitch.

33904464.jpg

Thread Info