Can You ID This Picture?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Yeah let me just take my brand new F350 Platinum from Antioch to the 31st street yard everyday covered in shit from being neck deep in a hole while doing absolutely nothing besides commuting to and from.

Or buy a $2,000 Honda Civic that will pay for itself in a year on fuel alone.

:dunno: seems logical to me.

you basically described me to a T.... I was driving a $48,000 Audi to work, getting dusty, muddy, nasty and dirty.. I said this is retarded... and I bought dasfincs civic. Best decision ever....

Pretty much all my other bricklayer colleagues have nice cars at home.. almost all have brand new chevy/ford trucks, one has a 2014 GT500 that he bought new, and one has a Tesla P85D :ford:

dberz94

Professional Slacker
Feb 14, 2015
There's a VW death site in Bloomington/Normal. It's at the old Mitsubishi plant that was bought out by Rivian Automotive. It's filled even more than in this picture. I went there recently and they have people in shuttle buses to move drivers around every time they get a shipment.
VWatRivianJimFinchTeslarati.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So you see yours in there?

I'm sure our old one has been resold....it was a 2015 with an approved 2 step fix. They were great cars.

If someone did a study on this they'd find that replacing 350,000 perfectly working cars with brand new ones had a much larger impact on the environment than letting these run. Incredibly dumb....but buying that thing was like winning a $10k lotto for us so i'm not complaining

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
wonder if they would sell me one for 500 bucks to use as a lemons racer :)

Is this more of a waste than just letting the cars run? How long do they have to sit in fields before they’re no good anyway?

exactly... i don't understand the point of this. could make some race cars. certainly there's an enormous amount of parts that could be used. is there a green reason for the cars to sit anyway? they've already been produced.

per https://www.wired.com/story/how-far-can-a-car-go-using-different-fuel-sources/ it takes 1.08 MJ to move a car a mile and per a cash for clunkers tool i made (you'll pry have to use edge and OK for flash to run http://developer10.com/clunkers.swf ) a typical car is 106,000 MJ to make. it is certainly greener to just run these cars out vs. manufacture and replace a new one before one of these guys have reached the end of their service life. that's not accounting for the delta in emissions but is it really so large as to overcome expending all that energy on building a new car? probably not even close.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
exactly... i don't understand the point of this. could make some race cars. certainly there's an enormous amount of parts that could be used. is there a green reason for the cars to sit anyway? they've already been produced.

per https://www.wired.com/story/how-far-can-a-car-go-using-different-fuel-sources/ it takes 1.08 MJ to move a car a mile and per a cash for clunkers tool i made (you'll pry have to use edge and OK for flash to run http://developer10.com/clunkers.swf ) a typical car is 106,000 MJ to make. it is certainly greener to just run these cars out vs. manufacture and replace a new one before one of these guys have reached the end of their service life. that's not accounting for the delta in emissions but is it really so large as to overcome expending all that energy on building a new car? probably not even close.

Just another reason the EPA should be gutted or abolished. Seeing things like this makes it pretty obvious that they're just a political pawn. In this case they actually hurt the environment just to make an example of VW. It's absurd

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What's especially crazy is that the US government won't even allow these cars to be exported to other countries with less stringent laws. Think about what hundreds of thousands of dirt cheap newer TDI's could do to improve things in mexico or some 3rd world countries where 25+ year old cars with no emissions controls are incredibly common.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info