Byron dragaway starting to tech

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am all for safety as obviously it is there to protect you as well as the track. It just really sucks that it's so expensive to be safe. Hell the different between a 10.0 and 9.9 in safety cost is astounding. Unless you know how to weld, have your own shop etc.

I don't have a car that fast, but you've gotta ask yourself how much your life is worth? Safety equipment could mean the difference between life and death (or being paralyzed or walking away). I'd lean towards going overboard on safety requirements and future proofing the car as everyone wants to go faster.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don't have a car that fast, but you've gotta ask yourself how much your life is worth? Safety equipment could mean the difference between life and death (or being paralyzed or walking away). I'd lean towards going overboard on safety requirements and future proofing the car as everyone wants to go faster.

I fully agree. But it's tough to shell out those thousands for something you never see in your times, something you never use (hopefully). Like you said it's just insurance.

Just sucks when I'm starring at a couple grand bill for a full cage and a cut up car to install it only to run the same times if not slower because of the weight.

It's very easy for someone who is sponsored or has a race team to have all these fancy things, but harder for someone like me who does not to struggle to justify thousands upon thousands.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Many times that cage stiffens the car and suspension mounting points. Making the car actually work better. So not always a loss.

It also adds value to the car. Anyone looking to buy a capable car in that ET range knows the cost to add a cage to a car without one. So it adds value and is a selling point.

I agree, sucks to spend that kind of money when it could go elsewhere to make more power or make the car lighter. But it has its benefits. BIG benefits if it ever saves your ass.

Cage, belts and suit are what most get and stop. But if you really race a lot and have a fast car that is when things like a HANS device makes sense to get. Fire supression system? Again, expensive if you never use it. But I watched a car at NMRA Bradenton years ago. The trans line ruptured at about half track and 140ish mph. It was a fireball inside the car as it passed us. It seemed like it took him forever to get the car stopped and to get out of the car. He was burned pretty bad. He refused to go to the hospital right away. Probably due to racing and insurance issues. In the pits a little while later the dude's skin started sliding off his face. So ya, going the next step with safety equipment like HANS and fire suppression is something to consider.

Which also makes you think about your insurance. Most car or heath policies don't cover racing. That means risk paying your own bills or get a rider or insurance to cover you on track. Lots to think about when you race. Most people don't even think about half of that stuff.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would only do the Fire system
If the car was worth a good amount of money. Twin turbo lambo or something or major race car. As most of our cars sit now letting it burn to the ground out weighs the cost of that system.

Or a simple small fire extinguisher does the simple trick for most small issues.

Chris91LX

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 2, 2008
Crystal Lake
Yeah, fire system is more for the driver than the car. Nice to save the car, but way nicer to not be on fire or get those extra seconds to get out of the car.

My only issue with the tech stuff is the recertification or having to repurchase SFI certified stuff like flywheels/flexplates, seat belts bell housings and such.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

As the saying goes, if you haven't earned it, you don;t deserve it!!!!!!!

If you can't afford to follow their rules, then you have absolutely no business whining about it!!!
Now if you want to whine about the idiotic seat belt rule, trans shield rule, helmet rule etc etc,
I'll back you 100%, but whining about you can't afford something is idiotic.
Where in the Constitution does it say we deserve anything we haven't earned!!!!

Work hard, earn your days pay, keep what you earn.
It's pretty simple!!!

JBruno88

TCG Elite Member
Apr 3, 2014
Carol Stream, IL
I fully agree. But it's tough to shell out those thousands for something you never see in your times, something you never use (hopefully). Like you said it's just insurance.

Just sucks when I'm starring at a couple grand bill for a full cage and a cut up car to install it only to run the same times if not slower because of the weight.

It's very easy for someone who is sponsored or has a race team to have all these fancy things, but harder for someone like me who does not to struggle to justify thousands upon thousands.

A lot of us who are into racing more than just the casual go to the track once or twice a year invest in the safety equipment no questions asked. I have a full 10 pt cage, belts, chute, etc... I can tech in at any track in the state including 66 without any issues.

It is expensive, but you don't need a sponsorship. If you're serious about racing your car then safety is a must. It might take you a while to save for all the safety equipment, but its part of racing in my eyes and a requirement.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

After I caught on fire at US 41 I went right out and bought a new car.
An old NHRA P/S that was converted to an A/PM when it became illegal for P/S.
Dual fire bottles, 1 bottle at my nuts, 1 bottle at each header, distributor and fuel cell, bars every where, and a new fire suit!!!!
Trust me, it only takes once, and you will never whine after safety crap again!!!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
A lot of us who are into racing more than just the casual go to the track once or twice a year invest in the safety equipment no questions asked. I have a full 10 pt cage, belts, chute, etc... I can tech in at any track in the state including 66 without any issues.

It is expensive, but you don't need a sponsorship. If you're serious about racing your car then safety is a must. It might take you a while to save for all the safety equipment, but its part of racing in my eyes and a requirement.

Yes you do now but you didn't with the vette as I recall have all of that stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but that car would never have seen 66 in its most recent state.

I'm serious about racing, but not enough to dump what 66 would require me too to race at their track again. It would prob be an easy 5-9 grand Just to run there again and not even a tenth faster

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

As the saying goes, if you haven't earned it, you don;t deserve it!!!!!!!

If you can't afford to follow their rules, then you have absolutely no business whining about it!!!
Now if you want to whine about the idiotic seat belt rule, trans shield rule, helmet rule etc etc,
I'll back you 100%, but whining about you can't afford something is idiotic.
Where in the Constitution does it say we deserve anything we haven't earned!!!!

Work hard, earn your days pay, keep what you earn.
It's pretty simple!!!

Um wat? Constitution? Wat. Think you took things a little to much to heart

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
I think the issue is that most of these modern cars are very fast right out of the box and not everyone wants to turn them into drag cars as most of them are daily/street driven. they are 10/9 second cars with not much work needed . you're turning the car into a dedicated race car by adding all the safety equipment , it's PITA to drive a car like that on the street .

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Yeah, fire system is more for the driver than the car. Nice to save the car, but way nicer to not be on fire or get those extra seconds to get out of the car.

My only issue with the tech stuff is the recertification or having to repurchase SFI certified stuff like flywheels/flexplates, seat belts bell housings and such.

The cert date on the flywheel/bell are only enforced if you are doing actual class racing. For someone who just goes to test n tunes or grudge races tech isn't going to get under your car and look to see if it is in date still. They may just take a look to see if it has SFI bell but they're not concerned about the dates as they can be recertified. Belts yes they need to be replaced regularly as they can be easily checked and are very important so spending a 180bux on another camlock harness isn't a big deal.

JBruno88

TCG Elite Member
Apr 3, 2014
Carol Stream, IL
Yes you do now but you didn't with the vette as I recall have all of that stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but that car would never have seen 66 in its most recent state.

I'm serious about racing, but not enough to dump what 66 would require me too to race at their track again. It would prob be an easy 5-9 grand Just to run there again and not even a tenth faster

After I did the blower, the next plan was cage and safety equipment to support going up to 8.50, but i lost interest in the car and wanted something different. It was in the cards, just never had the car long enough to do it.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
But I watched a car at NMRA Bradenton years ago. The trans line ruptured at about half track and 140ish mph. It was a fireball inside the car as it passed us. It seemed like it took him forever to get the car stopped and to get out of the car. He was burned pretty bad. He refused to go to the hospital right away. Probably due to racing and insurance issues. In the pits a little while later the dude's skin started sliding off his face.

He probably didn't even feel it afterwards. When you get burned that bad it fries your nerve endings. I could see someone jacked up on that much adrenaline thinking they were ok for a while after.

get dustd

Aug 28, 2015
Does anyone know what the real story is from that day? I was there but missed the crash. The only thing consistent I heard is that he was thrown from the vehicle but it was a caged up very nice Nova. I would assume it had harnesses. You can't get thrown from a vehicle if you are strapped in correctly. It makes not sense and it has been bugging me. One guy said it looked like they were trying to stop him on the starting line because he didn't have a helmet on. Did this guy go down the track not strapped in? None of us have a death wish and I feel pretty safe going down the track, so it would be really discouraging to hear he had all safety measures in place and still died.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Does anyone know what the real story is from that day? I was there but missed the crash. The only thing consistent I heard is that he was thrown from the vehicle but it was a caged up very nice Nova. I would assume it had harnesses. You can't get thrown from a vehicle if you are strapped in correctly. It makes not sense and it has been bugging me. One guy said it looked like they were trying to stop him on the starting line because he didn't have a helmet on. Did this guy go down the track not strapped in? None of us have a death wish and I feel pretty safe going down the track, so it would be really discouraging to hear he had all safety measures in place and still died.

It's possible that a harness tab broke or the harness failed. It's also pretty easy to accidentally unlatch a cam lock harness. I've accidentally hit the release on my harness in the staging Lanes before and had to stop and relatch it before rolling into the water box.

Thread Info