Boating season 2017, v1.0: playing with my dinghy

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm in the middle of redoing my interior, well not me but having it done. Here are some progress shots. For this season I'm having the engine hatch, rear bench, both helm chairs and side panels done. End of this season I will have the open bow done to complete. To save some money, he was cool with me removing all interior myself. Plus letting me use his shop, now I can get in and clean up some wiring and add some lights. I was alittle nervous that I would discover some moisture or rotting wood, but everything is in great shape for a 17yr old boat. The interior is original and was starting to crack and fade.

0bef80b78c081aea2496a7f5cd5860c7.jpg

wow that looks great.

I have heard the same thing, if I thought the chain was busy on a 90deg Sat, I ain't seen anything!!

it's of course waaaaaay bigger than the chain. but with that comes WAY bigger boats. i remember being in the main channel as a kid and the merging boat wakes were insane.

random youtube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GSaRe__DvE

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's really strange how certain lakes end up with the go fast boat culture. I mean they're everywhere but places like Miami, LOTO and havasu are absolutely dominated by them. LOTO is the strangest of them. No major metro area nearby at all, you're in the boondocks of MO

so so true.

cumberland has some go fast shoot outs & stuff... but NOTHING like LOTO.... even though they are so similar... with cumberland even having more surface area & more shoreline...

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The great prop debackle. I posted in my prop thread but I'll repost here. Stopped at airmarine last night on my way home to drop my propeller off for repair. Things went downhill with the price very quickly. After seeing it in person (it's pretty bad) I got quoted $145 for a base price needed to weld on more material to make the prop repairable, $25 for a new exhaust diffuser ring (knocked that off when I had the accident) and the hub in the propeller is shot $45. Then, I'm told they're very busy and it's going to be 2 weeks at a minimum, most likely 3+. So, $215 and pmaybe not having the prop by when I need it is a no go. I feel that money would be better spent toward a new prop.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
so so true.

cumberland has some go fast shoot outs & stuff... but NOTHING like LOTO.... even though they are so similar... with cumberland even having more surface area & more shoreline...

And that boggles my mind. There are a ton of dammed up lakes similar to those two, all over the country. Why LOTO!?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i think that's one thing i love most about boating, is all the different "styles"

every water system is so different and you can't guess at how boating culture is focused on one based on anything physical about the lake.

I love that too. You get a bit different flavor everywhere. The body of water dictates it most of the time I.E. fishing boats in saltwater places, ski boats in small-mid size inland bodies of water, pontoons on small private lakes, etc etc

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
And that boggles my mind. There are a ton of dammed up lakes similar to those two, all over the country. Why LOTO!?

so so so true. barkley, kentucky, dale hollow, etc etc etc.

but yeah LOTO... boom. mecca of go fast :rofl:

i bet it has to do with who owns/controls most of the area... TVA for cumberland with army core owns a solid amount of property around/near and don't really allow much construction near the water... which doesn't allow bars, restaurants and marinas to pop up. and a whole bunch of dry counties in the near vicinity.

I love that too. You get a bit different flavor everywhere. The body of water dictates it most of the time I.E. fishing boats in saltwater places, ski boats in small-mid size inland bodies of water, pontoons on small private lakes, etc etc

yep. except for wild card bodys of water... like leech lake in minnesota. 161 square miles of surface area compared to 84 for ozarks and 110 for cumberland... and leech lake is primarily fishermen. :rofl:

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
You would think the body of water would dictate types of boats, but look at the chain. These lakes are not big enough for 30' plus boats i see out there. There are 4 boats in my marina alone that are over 35'. I have never been to LOTO, and besides going to see the shootouts/radar runs I dont have any interest to either. I have been boating in Lake Pleasant AZ, which is amazing boating.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
loto is cool because you can find places to "hide" like claim your own cove for the day, similar to cumberland.

cumberland is sweet. and big. and also relatively remote.

That's one thing awesome about those dammed lakes, so many fingers and branches that there is always a spot to get away from people and traffic

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info