"Ask me anything" threads about cars we own?

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I guess I have a good one for MikeK.

Why does it appear Teslas with larger battery packs seem to struggle to get the same range as the 60 kw Chevy bolt?

I have seen countless YouTube videos with people showing proof they are beating the rated 234 miles of the bolt pretty easily under normal driving, along with showing the kw used to prove it on the screen.

It seems the 90kw Tesla struggles to beat it in miles.

How can the bolt with a 60kw pack travel as far as an 85-90 pack? What has been your real world pack miles?

My guess on that would be very poor driving habits of the tesla owners. on that same note it really depends everything. cold weather, to heat used in the car to how much stop and go vs stady pace driving, vs highway.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My guess on that would be very poor driving habits of the tesla owners. on that same note it really depends everything. cold weather, to heat used in the car to how much stop and go vs stady pace driving, vs highway.

All true but just because a Tesla is fast doesn't mean in general all owners are crazy speed freaks. I have driven a Tesla, but not for a long period of time so I couldn't actually test my miles per Kw. However it just appears that the bolt exceeds the miles rated, where as people appear to struggle to meet Teslas.

I know weather and all that plays a factor but if you watch some of the videos online the weather isn't all that great since it's been winter. 40-50s for temps. And the cars are still getting 250+ per charge.

One guy did over 300 on a single charge.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
What forces Tesla owners to nutswing so hard? Why are they compared to every other car on the road?

What cars do you think are fast but really aren't?

Should I buy a 2017 5.0 or an 03/04 Cobra?

Will owning a fast car get me laid?

How do you install a sticker on the side of the car properly? Any special tools required?

What car should I buy now?

Can I trade in my car a month after owning it and break even?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
What forces Tesla owners to nutswing so hard? Why are they compared to every other car on the road?

What cars do you think are fast but really aren't?

Should I buy a 2017 5.0 or an 03/04 Cobra?

Will owning a fast car get me laid?

How do you install a sticker on the side of the car properly? Any special tools required?

What car should I buy now?

Can I trade in my car a month after owning it and break even?

Ill answer the first question as it appears to be the only serious one. The Nutswinging is so hard because it just is a cool car overall. It is cool that you can have an eco car, a hyper car in the straight line, as well as a family car all in one.

Up to this point you could not Plain and simple. You had to choose or compromise somehow. If you wanted blistering power as well as 4 doors.... well you had to sacrifice economy.

It gets compared to everything because people just want to justify a way their car is better because they cannot afford a Tesla or they are just scared of change."

That or they have never driven one and just don't want to give new tech a chance.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Whoops, I didn't realize there was an actual Tesla question. :rofl:

I guess I have a good one for MikeK.

Why does it appear Teslas with larger battery packs seem to struggle to get the same range as the 60 kw Chevy bolt?

My initial excuse would be weight. The Model S is a substantially larger, heavier car. Motor Trend has the Bolt's curb weight at 3580lbs versus the lightest Model S (60kw) at 4469lbs. So there's about a half ton difference there.

The EPA rated range on the bolt is 238 miles. On the Model S with the same size battery it's 210. Given the Model is pushing a larger amount of air with 1000 more pounds I'd say that's pretty much what we'd expect to see.

It seems the 90kw Tesla struggles to beat it in miles.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from here. The 90kw cars have a range of 294 miles, well above the Bolt. Now you might be seeing people push over 300 miles on the Bolt but that's in really specific driving patterns. People with Teslas have done the same. I believe a 90D owner pushed his 294 EPA rated miles to nearly 550 miles. So almost double the range. If you want to get really high mileage you can but at the end of the day the guys getting really low range or really high range are generally at the fringes.

What has been your real world pack miles?

It's really entirely dependent on how I drive. Around the city, I'll get much more than the rated range. On the highway I might only get 200 miles of my 253 miles of rated range. That's not to say the car is lying about it's range, just that I refuse to drive it in a manner that will net the highest mileage and since these are single speed motors, higher speed has a drastic affect on efficiency and I'm a guy that's generally got Autopilot set to 90mph on road trips. Others will religiously do 60 - 65mph and get well over EPA rated range. This would be a constant with the Bolt though. You start to see a pretty drastic efficiency drop off over 70mph with these cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info