anyone have any direct experience with transit connects/ram promasters/metris/etc?

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
one thing worth noting with the chevy express vans...

they are dated AF... get not great mileage but they are reliable AF.

they just keep going :rofl:

As far as gas mileage, my Transit averages around 5mpg better than my old Econoline. Not positive about my old Chevy vans but I remember them being as horrible on gas as the Econoline.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ever thought about finding a mint, or even rebuilt Astro?

When GM stopped them, I was working for a fleet management company and there was a sudden rush by customers to snap up all that they could. What they couldn't get new, they were sent to rehabbing companies (similiar to police/taxi rehabbers), and then people bought/leased those.

But otherwise, yea, in agreement on the Express/Savana vans.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
epK23b5.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
My buddy used to manage a Firestone that got a ton of the Ram Promasters in for service from rental places. He said they were absolute nightmares, and are constantly in for brakes or other front suspension problems. He said by 15K, most are in for a complete brake overhaul. If it has the diesel (this was a year or so ago, so may have changed) the oil changes are outrageously expensive, because the only spec'd oil you can get in the country is from the dealer.

I've heard issues with the smaller transits, especially the 1st gens, for trans problems, and being way underpowered. I think the trans issue was resolved, but the underpowered issue, I'm not sure. Most of my vendors are either in Caravan's or still rocking old Econolines or Express'

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm very familiar with the diesel Promaster. It is basically a Fiat Ducato that was adapted for the US. The engine bay is incredibly cramped. If any sort of engine work needs to be done, the subframe has to be dropped. Also, as mentioned above, fluids and parts may be hard to get because the engine came straight from the European market and was adapted for the US.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info