đź‘‹ INTRO Another New Guy from the Burbs

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yes it has been for sale, I've owned if over 16 years and had it for sale last fall. It never sold so I gave up. Everyone wants an original numbers matching car which this isn't. You are always welcome to check it out in spring. It won't tempt you. :)

The GTO has Lovells 20mm drop springs, Koni adjustable shocks/struts, all poly bushings everywhere, Spohn rear toe bars and some changes with the alignment. I have a Harrop dif cover to install in spring. Have you done much to yours?

Ask [MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION] about his, lol

I have LTs, no cats and a stock cat back, MGM-p shifter, some gauges, diablo tuner, SAP grills, Pedders drop springs and struts with big bore shocks, poly pretty much everywhere, Hinson short engine mounts, wheels and tires.

I want to do sway bars, I have 05/06 brakes waiting to go on.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Lets not get carried away here. I've just given up on trying to keep it clean :rofl:

If youre bored.......like really bored......my member rides thread details pretty much everything ive done to my GTO since its been in my possession

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/member-rides-sightings/152007-idafc21s-2004-gto.html

Excellent summary. There are quite a bit of similarities here. I had an 04 WRX, 2007 Focus (just an SE with a stick) my Monte Carlo was a 71 and more of a drag car. The Monte was a long time ago.

Yes we have the disease. I really like the monaro nose. It does give it a look of class and understated performance, but we know the truth. What tires are you running?

I see you are thinking about a gear. I have the Motive 4.11's in mine and the change is dramatic. You will be very happy with the results. In 6th at 65-70 you can hit the gas and it pulls like mad. It runs about 2000 in 6th at 70 so not bad. Now if you are in 4 at 70 and hit the gas, you gone!

I did a similar write up on the ls1 form. 2004-2006 GTO Source

Thanks for sharing the build. I'm jealous since our roads are full of salt scum and I would like to drive.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Excellent summary. There are quite a bit of similarities here. I had an 04 WRX, 2007 Focus (just an SE with a stick) my Monte Carlo was a 71 and more of a drag car. The Monte was a long time ago.

Yes we have the disease. I really like the monaro nose. It does give it a look of class and understated performance, but we know the truth. What tires are you running?

I see you are thinking about a gear. I have the Motive 4.11's in mine and the change is dramatic. You will be very happy with the results. In 6th at 65-70 you can hit the gas and it pulls like mad. It runs about 2000 in 6th at 70 so not bad. Now if you are in 4 at 70 and hit the gas, you gone!

I did a similar write up on the ls1 form. 2004-2006 GTO Source

Thanks for sharing the build. I'm jealous since our roads are full of salt scum and I would like to drive.

Lotta similarities indeed! For tires im running hankook ventus v12 evo's (first gen). 265's out back and 235s in front. Im about due for some rears again. These cooler mornings are doing me no favors. Once i can no longer keep traction thru 2nd gear I know its time for some new tires :rofl: I'll likely replace them w/ the gen 2 evos, I've never had issues w/ the hankooks before.

I thought about 4.11's for gears, but I was leaning more towards the 3.93 (or is it 3.96?) Since they're the OEM aussie gear. I think they would more than do the trick for the cruising i do w/ this car. I dont know what to do w/ the rear right now. Ive got clunk/whine, things that are par for the course, Id love to do the gears, maybe a 1 piece drive shaft, but I'll probably just wait until something breaks first :rofl:

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Holy crap that's really light.... I've always wanted a nice air cooled 911 but the prices have been moving in the opposite direction of where I want them to go. If I ever do go that route, it would probably have to be like yours, which isn't a bad thing at all, and I feel like an all original car would have me worried about messing it up all the time.

The SS is a nice car for sure. I've got my gripes with it but I'm probably a bit of a malcontent anyway. It's my first LS car and I have to say I like that engine.

I see a few Corvairs around here every once in a while (Plainfield). Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what's the story behind yours?

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I've had the Corvair since 1993. A friend knew I was looking for a convertible and he found this in Chicago. It was the LAST car I will ever buy in the north. There was a bit more rust repair on the body panels than I wanted to undertake. Luckily I had access to body parts and in the end cut out the rusted sections and welded in the new.

This is another Macco paint job and it was done in the late 90's and is holding up good. It is another driver quality car.

The best part about the Corvair is High Velocity, Low Speed. You always feel like you are flying in this car. It is a lot of fun to drive, the car I have kept the longest, and will likely never sell.

It is powered by the stock 164/2.7 flat 6 originally the 110HP motor with a 4-speed. I converted it to 4 1bbl carbs, headers/dual exhaust, electronic ignition and otherwise stock. In spring I have a center mount 4bbi I will try for a while and if it works I want to convert to a center mount throttle body fuel injection or possible one of the kits available from other Corvair owners.

I was bored with the stock dash and had some parts from a Spyder dash and some old Stewart Warner gauges. So I married up the two and installed them. The tach goes to 10,000 and the speedo to 160, both completely unattainable, but it makes for a good conversation piece.

I was at a car show a while back and there were a couple of 16-18 year old kids asking if it was fast. I responded it was 'quick' and will run 10's all day. One kid was like WHAT and the other was, NO WAY. After leading them on for a bit I finished the sentence, it will run 10's to 60mph all day...

Attachments

• IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3542.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3550.JPG
    IMG_3550.JPG