6.0 powerstroke preventative maintenence

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I've had it for 4 weeks today. Put about 2500 miles on it simce then. I would guess that at least a third of those miles have been with a trailer of some sort behind it. It's so awesome to keep the same speed through the hills while keeping the pedal off the floor.

I check fuel mileage every tank. My best has been 17.5. Average is about 14. And I get 11 pulling my enclosed trailer. The ecoboost got 9 pulling it, so this in encouraging.

I also had a skid loader hooked up a few days ago. Somewhere around 13k behind me through some pretty big hills. I swear that my 5k lb enclosed trailer pulls harder than that.

My only problem is that fittings on the mishimoto coolant filter seep a little. They were Teflon taped. I took them off and used plumbers dope on them. They still leak some. I bought some permatex high temp thread sealant, so I'll give that a try.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Dad and I took some cattle to auction...i pulled one load through the hills. He took the next load with his pickup (ford 351w 5sp manual) on flat roads. Im pretty sure he is now looking for a 6.0. He calls me all the time telling me about different 6.0's he's found on Craigslist.

I can't believe the pipe dope didn't seal it. I use that stuff on all my plumbing projects and never had a leak once with it.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
20170330_124238_zpsktnq4mvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think I'll just try a heavier coating.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I think I have the leak fixed on the coolant filter fittings. I'm blaming that one on crappy fittings.

I do have a few questions though. After I go wot for a bit and let off, it won't build boost for awhile. Is there something in the tuning? All it's doing is blowing black smoke, so it is getting fuel. I was going to switch back to stock timing to see if it still did it, but haven't got around to it yet.
https://youtu.be/SvoC8rIzCvY
I let off around 12 seconds and it wouldn't build boost til around 1:40.

Also, I can see that the front tires are cupping. And there is some play in the steering. I jacked it up, and it looks like everything is tight, except for the steering box. I was thinking about a redhead steering box to try and fix this.

Also, with the tires cupping, I did some research on the shocks. I guess the factory rancho' s don't last long at all. So mine must be beyond shot. I'm looking at the bilstein 5100 replacements. Anyone have input?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Switched back to the stock tune, and then the 8k...beat on it some. Boost comes back right away, it it must be something in the tune when I have it on the extreme setting. I'll have to email him. I'm also about 600 miles away from hitting 5k miles since bulletproofing, so I think I'm going to start a working to try and keep track of everything I do.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I put a standard replacement box in... had a shop diagnose the issue because the box suddenly got extra sloppy on me one day and I thought I had something failing. I thought about a red top steering box, but I couldn't see the difference in price being worth that much.

From your description, I'd agree with you. Must be something in the tune that's making it lose boost. Weird though. At least its not hard parts! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info