2019 GT500 motor?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I’ll never understand fords logic for always having the a displacement disadvantage. The coyote and then subsequent roadrunner and voodoo engines seemed like engineering marvels... Just seems like a losing battle to keep stretching the cylinder bore every last bit and then adding enough boost to make 720hp (or whatever target their going for) when both GM and Dodge have essentially the equivalent of 2 extra cylinder of engine displacement.

GT350 wasn’t exactly lightweight for a street legal “track car”. Me thinks a GT500 is gonna be right around 2 tons. O’well, hopefully ford proves me wrong and builds the best of the badass muscle cars yet.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
They all are getting heavy. Even the Vette is getting up there. But look at what the GTR does with it's weight. It is possible that the car may be heavy and still handle well. I think it will be behind the ZL1 though. The Camaro is lighter and seem to have an edge in the handling department. But we will have to see what happens.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Oh yeah, here are the “supposed” brakes that will be on it. Largest calipers ever put on a Mustang.
23b667592611012788ced29c459098ce.jpg

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Hopefully Ford will shock everybody and release GT500 with the other engine that was getting tested . They had prototypes running with supercharged 5.2L and twin turbo 4.8L . supercharged GT500 won't be anything special these days when we have supercharged ZL1s , Hellcats and vettes

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I can't imagine how they can cut weight to make it lighter than a GT350. When adding the blower, extra heat exchangers, larger brakes, and so on. That will be impressive if they can make it happen and not have a huge price tag.

Composite engine cradle, radiator support the GT350 already has, composite seat frames, possibly roof skin. There was a thread floating around M6G on the composite k member and seat frames.

Dont think those will be huge savings but it will all help.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Hopefully Ford will shock everybody and release GT500 with the other engine that was getting tested . They had prototypes running with supercharged 5.2L and twin turbo 4.8L . supercharged GT500 won't be anything special these days when we have supercharged ZL1s , Hellcats and vettes

The 5.2 is smaller than the Hellpig and GM LT4 and LT5.

If they can make 750+ out of a little 5.2 it makes the big pushrod engines loom kind of silly especially if its what at least a liter smaller too.

I have zero faith itll be anything but a sc 5.2 in the GT500

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I’ll never understand fords logic for always having the a displacement disadvantage. The coyote and then subsequent roadrunner and voodoo engines seemed like engineering marvels... Just seems like a losing battle to keep stretching the cylinder bore every last bit and then adding enough boost to make 720hp (or whatever target their going for) when both GM and Dodge have essentially the equivalent of 2 extra cylinder of engine displacement.

GT350 wasn’t exactly lightweight for a street legal “track car”. Me thinks a GT500 is gonna be right around 2 tons. O’well, hopefully ford proves me wrong and builds the best of the badass muscle cars yet.

Power density and weight. I think itll be imlressive but boring lol if Ford makes 750plus from a SC 5.2

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
The 5.2 is smaller than the Hellpig and GM LT4 and LT5.

If they can make 750+ out of a little 5.2 it makes the big pushrod engines loom kind of silly especially if its what at least a liter smaller too.

I have zero faith itll be anything but a sc 5.2 in the GT500

Power is not the issue these days as most of these high horsepower cars make similar power , not many people care if you make ~700hp out of supercharged 5.2 or supercharged 6L+ engines . People want something different these days. that's why GT350Rs with flat plat plane crank engine still selling for over MSRP while Camaro Z28s heaving pretty much the same performance as GT350r selling for half the price because not many people want to pay $70K for a Camaro with 15 years old vette engine

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Power is not the issue these days as most of these high horsepower cars make similar power , not many people care if you make ~700hp out of supercharged 5.2 or supercharged 6L+ engines . People want something different these days. that's why GT350Rs with flat plat plane crank engine still selling for over MSRP while Camaro Z28s heaving pretty much the same performance as GT350r selling for half the price because not many people want to pay $70K for a Camaro with 15 years old vette engine

First of all GM price of 70k for a Z28 for a parts bin whore of a car was a scam from day 1 for a 5th gen Camaro.

Seconds yes I agree hp numbers are not everything thats why the use of composites and anything else to make the cars lighter is huge. HP numbers dont mean much if its stuffed in a tank.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info