2017-2018 Chicago Bears Thread - Trubisky Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Jordan Howard has deleted all of his Bears pictures off his Instagram account? Could that mean the Bears have informed him that he’ll be traded? The rumors are flowing.

There’s a rumor swirling that if Josh Rosen were to fall to #8, that the Patriots would use their 2 first round picks to trade up to the Bears’ spot. Jordan Howard could be a part of that deal as well.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I doubt the Bears would receive a good enough offer to trade Howard. There is a lot of RB depth in the draft this year so teams may not be as inclined to trade for RB. The offer would have to be really good to let a solid, young, low paid RB go.

Patriots are more likely looking for pieces to plug in and get to another SuperBowl. Belichick may retire with Brady and, if so, why would he draft the next QB over an immediate impact player? You never really know with N.E. so nothing will surprise me.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, it would be great to have a pass catching RB that runs like Howard. If the Bears don't have plans for a specific (draft?) guy like that in mind, I'd just teach Howard to catch. Make him carry a football around and take extra reps. He already has the instinctive running moves and he's still only two years in on a rookie contract. Howard could get a lot better in a couple years.

There's a small chance Saquon Barkley drops to 8. If 4 QBs are taken ahead of 8 which could happen given next year's QBs aren't supposed to be as good as this year's class, Bears could be looking at Saquon. There are many QB needy teams this year so it's not out of the realm of possibility 4 QBs go.

After the QBs, you have Chubb, Nelson, Barkley, Fitzpatrick and several DBs/LBs. Say the Giants trade 2 to a QB needy team, you could see Cleveland, the trade team, Jets all go QB 1,2,3. Cleveland probably takes Chubb at 4. That leaves QB needy Denver, Indy and Tampa to go ahead of the Bears. If Denver takes a QB, Indy may take Nelson who is supposed to be a can't miss prospect and would help Luck stay upright. It's a big need for Indy. They could also take Barkley. Tampa needs a RB. They also need a CB and Safety and, with the RB depth in the draft, it's possible they go CB or S and Barkley drops to the Bears.

If that happens, you have to take him and, then, trade Jordan Howard. It's a weird move to take a RB but Bears/Sayers/Peyton/Barkley?

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, just possible.

BTW, if Cleveland gets a franchise QB and Chubb in the draft, they're going to have a chance at improving quickly. Myles Garrett and Chubb might be the best, young DE combo in the league.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
I never get wrapped up in the draft hype on who is who and who could get who and what not, plus I don't really watch much college football either. I watch the draft and when my team select's then I analyze the new guy's highlight's and stat's. Good enough for me...:rofl:
We have 8 pick's even with the Eagles getting our 4th rounder from the Bradford trade but I am sure "Trader Rick" Spielman will be active and always does a great job IMO.

Bear's are really Dumb if they give up Howard.:io:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I look at game films. Highlights are fun to watch but game films show every play a guy has. Much easier to see past the hype.

Case in point, I watched a LB Tremaine Edmunds game film recently. He has great athletic ability and owns the play when he immediately heads into a play. Problem is, he stands around and runs back and forth when he's not sure what to do. Kid is really raw.

I doubt Barkley will be there at 8. There are scenarios where he is so I mentioned it.

It's fun to look at team needs and try to guess who the 1st round picks will be. Nothing else "football" to do at this time of year.

If Chubb, Barkley or Nelson are there at 8, Bears have an easy choice. If all three are gone, it gets more complicated.

Mr. SBF

May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
If we had high draft pick's every year I might be more enticed with the hype... F.A. moves by all the teams in the North and the rest of the Top Teams throughout the League is enough for me to follow/watch. Once our pick's are Drafted there are so many Podcast's and Team Media Content that do the digging/film break down with Professional Analysis that I see no need to get all enthralled with game film or anything on these kid's coming in leading up to the Draft. Any Podcast's that are Draft related on scenario's beforehand I skip over as well.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The Howard story was out for a little over a week. IIRC he deleted ALL FOOTBALL related items. Including college and otherwise from his IG.

Plus Rappaport also commented on it saying he has heard no rumors about Howard as well.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Probably 75% or more of what we hear between now and the draft is BS. Every team is trying to misdirect every other team.

Here's the Bears scenarios for trading down. Interesting read to see what the 8 pick value is. Bears could trade almost even value for N.E.s two later first round picks. They could drop as little as 4 spots and still get a 3rd rounder. Lots of choices if Barkley, Chubb and Nelson are gone and one of the big 4 QBs is still on the board.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-b...own-scenarios-for-the-Bears-in-2018-117169903

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Some writers are saying Burton was one of the worst overpays. I disagree. Like you, I think Burton is a good TE who instantly takes the TE1 spot in Chicago. He's better than anyone we have had since Greg Olsen.

Bears need to match N.O.s offer for WR Cameron Meredith by tomorrow or N.O. will get him. I hope they lay out the money and re-sign Meredith. Bears need WR depth or they are one injury away from being shorthanded at WR again. If they don't match the $9 mil. two year offer, they made a mistake by not signing him for this year for $2.9 mil. We'll find out what they do tomorrow.

Mr. SBF

May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Burton's limited production doesn't warrant him to be the 6th highest paid TE in the League... So I agree with the writers that they overpaid, but we're talking about Da Bear's...:lmao: It's what they do with idiot's at the helm... Decent pick up yes but not for the money.:io:

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Burton's limited production doesn't warrant him to be the 6th highest paid TE in the League... So I agree with the writers that they overpaid, but we're talking about Da Bear's...:lmao: It's what they do with idiot's at the helm... Decent pick up yes but not for the money.:io:

Some could say the same about Garapolo and even cousins to some extent. They are both good but worth the contracts they just got? Yet to be seen.

Mr. SBF

May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Some could say the same about Garapolo and even cousins to some extent. They are both good but worth the contracts they just got? Yet to be seen.

To an extent yes but Cousin's has put the numbers up though in both yards and TD's... 4k passing yards for 3 consecutive season's and damn close to 5k yards in 2016. And the Redskin's were paying him a few hundred grand from what we are paying him for 2018. And was about what we were paying out for Bradford, Keenum and Teddy2gloves combined. Yes his deal is backloaded and we will be overpaying in 2019 and 2020 but Viking's did it for QB stability which what was needed. It will be worth it barring a any serious injury occurring with all that guaranteed money.

Kirk Cousin's:
4,093 yards and 27 TD's plus 4 ushing TD's
4,917 yards and 25 TD's plus 4 rushing TD's
4,166 yards and 29 TD's plus 5 rushing TD's

Trey Burton:
248 yards and 5 TD's
327 yard's and 1 TD

The Bear's had to overpay to get Burton to come to Chicago as that's what made it attractive for him to come to a team that's not yet competitive, when he just came from a Superbowl winning team.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
You can’t compare a starter and non starter stats or even a QB vs TE stats. Was purely saying that you said Burton was overpaid and to some extent I believe Cousins was as well. Excited to see him start on the Vikings though compared to the Redskins.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Trey Burton's number's don't look great, because he was primarily playing behind Zach Ertz, but shined when given the opportunity. Additionally, Burton is going to be coming into an offense probably very similar to what he was running in Philly. He's a young, athletic, mismatch type of TE, that should be a great threat, especially in the redzone. I do think that $8M/yr for Burton is a bit steep, as he hasn't shown you a full years worth of starter work (think Pernell McPhee) but you're paying him like a seasoned vet. FA signings are always a gamble, we just hope that Burton does not catch the injury bug getting thrown in full time and lives up to expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info