2016-2017 Chicago Bears Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Foster is ranked as the 27th best ILB on one of the reports I saw. Projected for a late round pick or FA. Seems low to me.

Question? Do the Bears gamble if Jaylon Smith, best ILB in the draft, is still available? He was supposed to go top 5 but tore his ACL & MCL last week. He won't drop out of the first round but he may be there when the Bears pick at 11.

Do we take the risk to get the reward a top 5 player would bring if he recovers to 100%?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmrGaeo15E

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Gase Watch 2016 begins...

Giants reportedly ask for interview with Bears' Adam Gase

The Giants have requested an interview with Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase, James Kratch of the Newark Star-Ledger repors. This according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The Giants will have to get in line, though, as several teams, including the Eagles, are also interested in the 37-year-old Gase, who is considered the hottest coordinator on the market this job cycle.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Team...................Win Loss
1. Tennesse Titans 3 13
2. Cleveland Browns 3 13
3. San Diego Chargers 4 12
4. Dallas Cowboys 4 12
5. Jacksonville Jaguars 5 11
6. Baltimore Ravens 5 11
7. San Francisco 49ers 5 11
8. Miami Dolphins 6 10
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6 10
10. New York Giants 6 10
11. Chicago Bears 6 10
12. New Orleans Saints 7 9
13. Philadelphia Eagles 7 9
14. Oakland Raiders 7 9
15. St. Louis Rams 7 9
16. Detroit Lions 7 9
17. Atlanta Falcons 8 8
18. Indianapolis Colts 8 8
19. Buffalo Bills 8 8
20. New York Jets 10 6
21. Washington Redskins* 9 7
22. Houston Texans* 9 7
23. Pittsburgh Steelers* 10 6
24. Seattle Seahawks 10 6
25. Green Bay Packers* 10 6
26. Kansas City Chiefs* 11 5
27. Minnesota Vikings* 11 5
28. New England Patriots* 12 4
29. Cincinnati Bengals* 12 4
30. Denver Broncos 12 4
31. Arizona Cardinals* 13 3
32. Carolina Panthers* 15 1
*-Subject to playoffs

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Looks like Gase will be able to go anywhere he chooses.

Redzone:

The Miami Dolphins will make a "strong, strong push" to land Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase as their next head coach during their Thursday interview according to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

La Canfora says that the Dolphins'goal is to "try to keep him from getting back to Philadelphia", where he has already interviewed. Gase has been touted as a hot head coaching candidate for the past couple of seasons but really cemented his reputation with the reclamation project he did with quarterback Jay Cutler in 2015, turning Cutler from a turnover machine considered poison to a guy the Bears now say they feel comfortable building their franchise around. Now is considered to the top head coaching prospect on the market and is coveted by almost every NFL team currently looking for a head coach.

Despite some concerns about their organizational structure, the Dolphins are considered one of the best jobs available this offseason due to their undeniable talent on both sides of the ball and a workable quarterback in Ryan Tannehill. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross just might be able to land Gase if he is willing to be aggressive monetarily.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Too early for mock drafts? Nope!

11. Chicago Bears: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

Jay Cutler looked like a new man earlier in the year, but he has regressed recently. Part of the blame has to be on the offensive line, which features two struggling tackles. Kyle Long is out of place and should be used at guard, while Charles Leno is just a swing tackle, at best. Surprised that Ronnie Stanley is still available, the Bears will happily scoop him up.

41. Chicago Bears: Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

The Bears need as much defensive help as possible as they continue to transition into their new 3-4 scheme. The defensive line is comprised of mediocre players, at best, so this is an area the front office will have to upgrade this offseason.

72. Chicago Bears: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State

Jay Cutler will probably be around for just one more year, so the Bears need to think about using an early draft choice on a successor

106. Chicago Bears: Dominique Alexander, ILB, Oklahoma

The Bears had poor play from their linebackers this past season, so they could address the position much earlier than this.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Interesting. We'll have to see if Stanley is still there at 11.

You guys agree that the Bears biggest needs are ILB, DL, OL (either tackle or guard), QB, S, CB?

I think you can take any of the top 4 positions in the first round depending on who is available at 11.

OL stiffens up the line and if you get a guy who can open running lanes it improves the Bears run game.

DL - McPhee needs a bookend.

ILB - 2016 version of a young Urlacher?

QB - What to do if Paxton Lynch is still on the board?

With so many needs, I think the Bears will make a list and just take the guy who is still at the top when their pick arrives.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
GB has problems. Vikings are tough but not unbeatable. Lions are crap.

I can see the Bears making the playoffs next year with some good draft picks and free agent pick ups.

Remember, we are going to have a ton of FA money. Bears could sign at least two top free agents, maybe three. I'm not talking washed up, overpaid guys. I'm thinking young talent. White will be a 2nd year rookie and I hear he is ready. Re-sign Jeffery, maybe Forte, keep working with Cutler along the same lines as this year. Grab an OL, a DL, at least one ILB and then start filling in the holes.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Bears Free Agents...

Matt Forte RB 30 CHI TBD $9,200,000 UFA

Alan Ball CB 30 CHI TBD $3,000,000 UFA

Shea McClellin ILB 26 CHI TBD $2,629,263 UFA

Ryan Mundy SS 30 CHI TBD $1,500,000 UFA

Alshon Jeffery WR 25 CHI TBD $1,447,036 UFA

Jarvis Jenkins DE 27 CHI TBD $825,000 UFA

Sherrick McManis CB 28 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA

Will Montgomery C 32 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA

Vladimir Ducasse G 28 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA

Marc Mariani WR 28 CHI TBD $660,000 UFA

Josh Bellamy WR 26 CHI TBD $660,000 UFA

Zach Miller TE 31 CHI TBD $660,000 UFA

Jacquizz Rodgers RB 25 CHI TBD $625,000 UFA

Patrick Omameh G 26 CHI TBD $585,000 RFA

Tracy Porter CB 29 CHI TBD $585,000 UFA

Sam Acho OLB 27 CHI TBD $550,588 UFA

Mitch Unrein DT 28 CHI TBD $516,176 UFA

Chris Prosinski SS 28 CHI TBD $481,764 UFA

LaRoy Reynolds ILB 25 CHI TBD $481,764 RFA

Nick Becton LT 25 CHI TBD $447,352 RFA

Sherrod Martin SS 31 CHI TBD $447,352 UFA

Deonte Thompson WR 26 CHI TBD $310,588 UFA

Robert Housler TE 27 CHI TBD $175,294 UFA

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Matt Forte RB 30 CHI TBD $9,200,000 UFA - This would be a great resign, although it's not mandatory...Langford and Carey are solid, but definitely aren't Forte in his prime...but considering Fox and team prefers a running back by committee, this resigning becomes less and less important...for the fans and continuity, would be a great way to finish his career

Alan Ball CB 30 CHI TBD $3,000,000 UFA Meh...Ball wasn't even starting there towards the end, although he may have been injured...the theory of a big CB like Ball just didn't work out like they wanted...Porter and Fuller seem to be the CB's for the near future...if Ball is needing this sort of money to stay, he best be walking.

Shea McClellin ILB 26 CHI TBD $2,629,263 UFA This is a tough call. The Bears have invested so much time and money into him over the years, moving him this way and that...he came in as 3-4 OLB, which they tried (and failed) to convert to a 4-3 DE, then a 4-3 outside linebacker, then inside, now a 3-4 inside linebacker...I sort of feel sorry for him, because really this is the first and only year he's really had a chance of succeeding with a decent scheme and coordinator; however, he really didn't impress...if he's coming back, it's for a prove it deal for a $1mil, or a multi-year sub-$1mil a year deal. He's just not good enough to command starter money, because he really shouldn't one.

Ryan Mundy SS 30 CHI TBD $1,500,000 UFA Hard to grade Mundy on barely a month of service, having gone to IR in early August. In 2014, he was a solid player, among a terrible defensive core...he could come in as depth behind Amos and Rolle, and be a solid addition...however, his price should be down around the $1 mil /year

Alshon Jeffery WR 25 CHI TBD $1,447,036 UFA This is someone we have to keep...he may be the best player on the team...word on the street is the Bears will franchise him, and give them another year to decide...He's going to get a monster contract from someone in the next year or 2, let's just hope it's with the Bears

Jarvis Jenkins DE 27 CHI TBD $825,000 UFA When he was on the field, he was a solid addition. I'd love for him to stick around another year as depth.

Sherrick McManis CB 28 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA Was solid after being promoted off the special teams. Played a bunch of nickel, and was solid...not great, but maybe worth another prove-it deal at or slightly above veterans minimum

Will Montgomery C 32 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA Hard to grade a dude that was injured for basically the entire year...even when he was in, he wasn't lighting it up or anything...Personally for continuity sake, I'd resign him for basically what he's already been signed for, and hopefully he can coach up Grasu a bit more

Vladimir Ducasse G 28 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA Ehhhhh, wasn't really all that spectacular coming in in relief, but then again, aside from Long and Slauson, none of the line was doing all that well...

Marc Mariani WR 28 CHI TBD $660,000 UFA It might be time to move on from Marc....he's reliable, but he's reliably below average...never seems to have the burst to hit that hole in the return game. Came in and made some contributions as a receiver, but that's after the receiving core was thoroughly depleted...I have to believe there are better options out there.

Josh Bellamy WR 26 CHI TBD $660,000 UFA Like Mariani, only saw time after the receiving core was thoroughly depleted; however, unlike Mariani, did not really impress or come into games and help. Plagued by poor route running and drops. Let's give him a taste of his own medicine, and drop him from the team.

Zach Miller TE 31 CHI TBD $660,000 UFA Obviously finally living up to the potential that we've been waiting for, for the past 2-3 years when Emery signed him. He is athletic and talented; unfortunately, he's going to be 32 next year. Luckily, he hasn't played much during his career, so he's probably one of the healthier 32 year old TE's out there. He could have a few more years left in him.

Jacquizz Rodgers RB 25 CHI TBD $625,000 UFA Solid out of the backfield catching passes, and the random draw play. He could definitely be part of the runningback by committee setup. Keep him for cheap.

Patrick Omameh G 26 CHI TBD $585,000 RFA Like Ducasse, wasn't very good coming in relief...he's younger, and maybe some more coaching and proper scheme could help him be a decent depth guy....definitely should not be starting...league minimum signing

Tracy Porter CB 29 CHI TBD $585,000 UFA He's going to get paaaaaaid...probably the best corner on the roster right now (yes, better than Fuller) he was constantly making plays, even when paired against #1's. Bears have to be careful they don't overpay him, because he may command some money on the market. I would love to keep him, but paying a player after only 1 year of production is how we got into trouble with Tim Jennings.

Sam Acho OLB 27 CHI TBD $550,588 UFA Acho was a solid role player, and should come back as a depth guy. He seems like a high motor and high character guy...the type of guy you like in a locker room.

Mitch Unrein DT 28 CHI TBD $516,176 UFA Was solid/albeit a bit underwhelming, coming in, basically off the street because of injuries. Make him earn a roster spot and give him a non-guaranteed minimum contract.

Chris Prosinski SS 28 CHI TBD $481,764 UFA Signed off the Eagles practice squad or off waivers as I remember. Ended up playing some safety after Rolle went down. Was decent for special teams. I'd say keep him around, he seems like a high motor high character guy like Acho. Minimum non-guaranteed contract and make him earn it.

LaRoy Reynolds ILB 25 CHI TBD $481,764 RFA Who?

Nick Becton LT 25 CHI TBD $447,352 RFA Who?

Sherrod Martin SS 31 CHI TBD $447,352 UFA Someone they must've signed off the street. Old and probably not great, let him walk

Deonte Thompson WR 26 CHI TBD $310,588 UFA Signed off the street with all the receiver injuries, saw him on the field, a couple of times...MEH....invite him to training camp, and cut his ass.

Robert Housler TE 27 CHI TBD $175,294 UFA Signed off the street with after Bennett went down, also saw him on the field, a couple of times...MEH....invite him to training camp, and cut his ass.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Jeffery is the only must sign on that list. Franchising might not be a bad idea due to his injury history. If he is healthy and performs next year, he gets the big contract. If he sits out half the games again, maybe not.

Forte has stated he's not looking for a big contract and will give Chicago a discount. Give him a two year deal if he is willing to sign for $3-$4 mil.

McClellin: Guy's a back up. Draft or sign a free agent to get some real talent at the "Will" position.

Zach Miller needs to stay for now. Might get a couple more years out of him.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Here's a question...do the Bears take a flyer on trying to sign Brock Osweiler? John Fox was the head coach of the Broncos when they drafted Osweiler in the 2nd round. Not saying he's start over Cutler, but he's young, has some potential/pedigree...maybe get a bit of a discount to reunite with the coach that originally drafted him :dunno:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Spend the money on the defense. We don't need a QB and we have a good enough backup. Cutler could have done some serious damage if he had Kevin White and a Healthy Alshon this year. Not to mention all of the other injuries in our receiver core. I don't think any of you are giving him the credit he deserves.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Cutler is the short term answer, but definitely not the long term one...Osweiler is young, 25, has been sitting behind Manning for his career...so basically what we saw this year is his first chance....I know people want to keep harping on getting a defense in order, but look at the Texans...they have a stellar defense, and their QB let them down...you need a QB in this league now, to win. Cutler will be a good stop gap, but he's not the future, maybe Osweiler could be that future...within the next year or two the Bears NEED to find their next QB to be ahead of the game. If we wait until Cutler is cut, we'll be wasting all that money we're going to give Alshon.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Denver ain't winning shit this year, like every year.

And I wouldn't be so certain that they'd want to keep Osweiler...old guard player, they may not want to deal with....they may want to draft their own guy to replace Manning.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Cutler is the short term answer, but definitely not the long term one...Osweiler is young, 25, has been sitting behind Manning for his career...so basically what we saw this year is his first chance....I know people want to keep harping on getting a defense in order, but look at the Texans...they have a stellar defense, and their QB let them down...you need a QB in this league now, to win. Cutler will be a good stop gap, but he's not the future, maybe Osweiler could be that future...within the next year or two the Bears NEED to find their next QB to be ahead of the game. If we wait until Cutler is cut, we'll be wasting all that money we're going to give Alshon.

So... by your logic Green Bay needs to start finding a QB, cause Rodgers isn't a long term answer? They're just about the same age, probably equally athletic. That's the last thing GB is thinking about. Osweiler is also playing on a good team. Put him on our team that played this year. BTW, the Bears made into 2007 the Superbowl because of their defense, NOT the QB.

You must be a Bears fan that is only a fan when they're playing well.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
SportTrac is valuing Forte at $7.4 mil. per year for a three year contract.

Forte won't get that unless somebody is desperate. He's 30 and that deal would match the deal he got when he was in his prime at 26. Few teams want to be on the hook for $7 mil to a 33 y.o. RB.

I don't know if Forte will accept $4 mil. from the Bears? They pay more than that to Eddie Royal. Forte's value to the Bears is higher than Royal's IMO. I'm upping the amount I think the Bears would need to pay to keep Forte to between $4 and $5 mil. If they get him for less than that, it's a bargain.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
So... by your logic Green Bay needs to start finding a QB, cause Rodgers isn't a long term answer? They're just about the same age, probably equally athletic. That's the last thing GB is thinking about. Osweiler is also playing on a good team. Put him on our team that played this year. BTW, the Bears made into 2007 the Superbowl because of their defense, NOT the QB.

You must be a Bears fan that is only a fan when they're playing well.

Smart football teams prepare for the future (Green Bay, New England). Dumb football teams wait until the last possible second to find replacement players (Browns, Jaguars, Raiders (up until the past couple years). And by what logic did you gather that I think Green Bay is in the same situation as the Bears? Also, Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for 3 years, before getting the start...Favre was in his mid-30's, and was still playing ironman football at the time Rodgers was drafted, and people were in an uproar thinking that Green Bay was trying to oust Favre, and no one ever was thinking replacement before the draft, but Green Bay had/has a good GM that thinks ahead and plans for the future. Green Bay and Chicago's situation couldn't be more different. Yes both have a starter for next year, but one team will move on from their QB in the next 24 months or sooner, and the other will be around for the next 5-6 years (depending on health and/or unforeseeable circumstances). So tell me more how because they are the same age, they are in the same situation...

Cutler is not our future, never will be, he should be playing for the Bears for the next 1-2 seasons, sooner rather than later, the Bears NEED to find a replacement QB, or possibly doom ourselves to 2 more decades of garbage quarterback play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info