2 toddlers struck by train, 1 fatally, in Portage, Indiana

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
So. Since they have legs and can walk. Only 2 and 3 year old.

They Don’t need close guardianship ? With train tracks nearby. They lived in a mobile trailer park too I think.

Just IMO

We can agree to disagree.

My daughter just turned two and can open interior doors, sliding doors, and can hit the garage door button. She's also running wherever she goes. I can easily see how this could happen in the blink of an eye.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
We thought about having door chimes set up with the alarm system.

A chime would ring out anytime someone opened an exterior door. Though we never really followed through with it. It seemed a bit too paranoid.

And you'd probably get a bunch of false positives as my wife would come and go without knowing if it was actually our kid that sounded the chime.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
We thought about having door chimes set up with the alarm system.

A chime would ring out anytime someone opened an exterior door. Though we never really followed through with it. It seemed a bit too paranoid.

You can probably do that with your current setup. On my alarm all you have to do is enter your code and hit the #9 (chime). The keypads chime whenever a door sensor is opened.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
That's kind of what I meant, it is already integrated, but we never turned it on.

It just seemed like it would get annoying. But with young kids, it would be worth it for a couple of years. Though I recently had to remind my 6yo that he is not to leave the house without someone knowing.

My wife was out walking the dog, and he just left to catch up with her. I had no idea he left the house, and my wife wasn't within eyesight to see him leave.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
They could’ve at least put up a fence though.

Where? and Why?

First off they are in a trailer park, who is going to pay the 25k or so for a fence?

And even if they put a fence around, they can't lock it or entrap the entire compount, so the kids could find a way around... Better question is why didn't the parent's put a fence in their yard to contain the kids ?

In all seriousness this is a very tragic accident that as a parent myself I couldn't fathom getting through, but this is just a simple accident, I know where my 3 year old is 95% of the time. But I can easily see this happening!

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
From that news story I just posted:

“At the time she lived in the park, Cheek-Sanchez was raising three young children there and she said it was widely known children, while older than the Wilson siblings, would climb the embankment to walk or play on the tracks.

"All these years have went by and neither CSX nor the owner decided to put a fence. It is really sad this happened. It could have been prevented," said Cheek-Sanchez, adding at the time she lived there, the park also would not allow residents to put up fences in their own yards.

Shelby Jones, who lives in the park is taking up Cheek-Sanchez' efforts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info