What are the best semi autonomous vehicles out there today?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
A buddy of mine has had his Tesla P100D for a year and a half and is getting fed up with issues he has been running into. He is going to have to get his car shipped to El Paso to get the most recent issue repaired and is pretty pissed about it. I told him I would ask around about other more mainstream offerings.

Are the any other vehicles that offer similar tech as far as damn near self driving cars at this point in time? He seems open as far as price goes, but I would imagine he would be interested in a more luxury performance vehicle.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
What are the issues your buddy is running into?

I am not sure what issues he had early on, but he had to take it in twice the first year. Last month one of the steering column stalks needed to be replace. Worked for a couple weeks then he felt a pop while turning. Now the suspension adjustment doesn't work, any autonomous functions dont work, his car will randomly shut off or lose power. Tesla is picking it up and taking it to el Paso but he has to pay for shipping back. He stated their customer service has not been nice to deal with and is tired of the car.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
A buddy of mine has had his Tesla P100D for a year and a half and is getting fed up with issues he has been running into. He is going to have to get his car shipped to El Paso to get the most recent issue repaired and is pretty pissed about it. I told him I would ask around about other more mainstream offerings.

Are the any other vehicles that offer similar tech as far as damn near self driving cars at this point in time? He seems open as far as price goes, but I would imagine he would be interested in a more luxury performance vehicle.

Has to pay for it to be shipped back?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Seems odd they would pay to ship it there but not to return the car to you? Something seems off. Never heard of that type of issue with service.

Love their mobile service, but some things have to be done at the dealer. I have an appointment Dec 5th to get my screens replaced because of a defect from the screen manufacturer causing a yellow border. The 5th of December is the earliest they had which kinda sucks. They are overwhelmed right now.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I got a Nissan Altima rental car for the last few weeks and it has cruise control with active steering and braking.

Basically, hit 'cruise' and put a finger on the wheel and the car does the rest.

Not bad for a middle of the road rental.

Self driving cars are just around the corner......:unsure:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Bru Bru any thoughts?

Cadillac and BMW are the only ones where their lawyers let them call the current systems hands-free. BMW’s Extended Traffic Jam Assistant at low speeds will let you go hands free up to 37 mph, and Cadillac’s Super Cruise is low and high speed. Both are limited highways, however, only on specific roads where it works. They work well, and the BMW is available down to the 3 Series. Above 37 mph, their lane centering works just as good as any other luxury car, but isn’t hands free like at low speed. Tesla’s is still a hands-on system and will yell at you if you go too long without input, but I think it’s one of the better systems at lane centering and you get some gimmicky features like lane changing, plus it has the potential to be much more than it is today, whereas the other systems you get what you pay for and that’s it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They vary based on what's important to you but I'd still say Tesla's is the best by a long shot. In low speed situations it is technically still hands on but almost never nags. So traffic situations on a divided highway where it has a lot of reference points, it's not going to bother you there much. Beyond that, I'd probably deviate from Joe's assessment of the extras as "gimmicks". They very much work and they make the driving experience so much better in certain situations. With the Tesla you can enter a destination and turn on Autopilot the moment you get onto the onramp. From there the car will merge by itself, it will change lanes to overtake slower traffic, it will accommodate other cars merging, it will automatically change lanes to follow your route and it will exit the expressway when it's time.

You can literally do nothing from onramp to offramp but observe. Technically it's a hands on system but even with a hand resting on the steering wheel it's a low stress situation. The benefit here is that eventually it won't be a hands on system. If you have enhanced autopilot or full self driving future software updates will remove the nags.

Reactions: SleeperLS

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I am not sure what issues he had early on, but he had to take it in twice the first year. Last month one of the steering column stalks needed to be replace. Worked for a couple weeks then he felt a pop while turning. Now the suspension adjustment doesn't work, any autonomous functions dont work, his car will randomly shut off or lose power. Tesla is picking it up and taking it to el Paso but he has to pay for shipping back. He stated their customer service has not been nice to deal with and is tired of the car.

we need a tesla is the best tesla is the fastest gif with Gone_2022 lastls1 as the img

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info