đź’¬ OT đź§‘‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I would recommend the lightest and smallest folding up stroller you can get. We were already tied to the uppababy system because we were given the car carriers/bases so we got the Minu which weighs like 15 lbs and folds up super small/easy. My wifes sister has the much bigger full feature one and it weights like 2x and takes up way more trunk space.

It might not be a concern now but I would consider what car seats and system you are getting if you want to attempt to fit multiple cars seats in a smaller car. We might eventually need to fit 3 car seats across (1 infant carrier, 1 rear facing and 1 front facing) in our minivan and it will be really tight with the ones we picked. If we had gotten the Graco Extend2fit instead of the 4ever it would have been a lot easier.

We got the graco 4ever dlx all in one which you can use from like infant to booster. But it doesn't work that well in my mazda3 or if you want to put car seats next to each other because they are so wide compared to other options. There are very few all in one car seats that do both rear facing (if you want to keep them that way longer than the minimum size/age requirements) and front facing well. We just got our kid the Chicco Myfit booster which is front facing only as he is like 2.5 years old and he fits behind my seat in my mazda3 a lot better and it is comfier for him on long trips.

https://thecarseatlady.com/ is where I found a bunch of stuff. There are a few other sites that have reviews and show in car pictures of how they lay out.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Do you have a smaller stroller too for things like shopping or going out to eat where you need to maneuver through tighter spots? Can’t imagine pushing a jogger through any sort of store smaller than a Costco or Home Depot.
While they're that young, we would just bring the jogger, or toss the car seat/carrier into a cart sideways - as most hold them perfectly. Or put on a baby wearer and walk around with the baby in there like a kangaroo.

We do have a smaller stroller, but those shitty tiny wheels get hung up on every rock or stone, so you'll grow to love the jogger. Then when old enough make him/her walk, don't even bring the stroller.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
thanks for the insights guys.

Think I’ve got my mind made up on a bob jogger with seat adapter for whatever car seat we go with.

Stroller didn't go anywhere 100% necessary. No to grocery store. Use a shopping cart, this way you have room for the groceries. Strollers take up so much cargo room.

Out to eat, car seat got carried in and put on a chair.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
While they're that young, we would just bring the jogger, or toss the car seat/carrier into a cart sideways - as most hold them perfectly. Or put on a baby wearer and walk around with the baby in there like a kangaroo.

We do have a smaller stroller, but those shitty tiny wheels get hung up on every rock or stone, so you'll grow to love the jogger. Then when old enough make him/her walk, don't even bring the stroller.
This is what we did. Just threw the car seat in a cart. Never had a small stroller.
Stroller didn't go anywhere 100% necessary. No to grocery store. Use a shopping cart, this way you have room for the groceries. Strollers take up so much cargo room.

Out to eat, car seat got carried in and put on a chair.
and this.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
One thing to keep in mind with car seats that I wasn’t prepared for was just how quickly at least my daughter grew out of hers. Bought a chicco keyfit convertible car seat and a stroller to go with and an extra base. Seemed awesome (and it was) and knew the weight limit was 40lbs. Well didn’t dawn on me that there’s also a height limit. She was out of that thing before the age of 2 and we had to buy another car seat that she’s still using at 3. It has the capability of doing infant size as well but that means carrying the kid out to the car and putting in the seat vs in the house and keeping them in the car seat.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
We bought the Graco DLX 4-in-1 car seat specifically because of that. You basically just remove piece by piece as they get older and larger and the back shifts upwards as they get taller. Eventually the whole backing comes off to use the base as a booster seat, then eventually just remove the carseat entirely. Well worth the price. We also bought a 3-in-1 toddler to adolescent car seat since he outgrew his baby car/stroller seat, as Joel said.

This is the 3-in-1, not for infants/babies.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
There’s a lot of convenience of the removable with a base style car seats and an infant but honestly by the time she could walk we just carried her or she walked to the car anyways. If you use a harness or something to hold them when going out then I’d skip that style and get the 4 in 1 car seat.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
My kids were excellent at remembering what I would say when I was driving. I'd later tell them "no I said Oh Shipcakes!"

So when I got mad while driving they would say shipcakes lol.

I jokingly also referred to PD as the Popo and told the kids to keep an eye out... sure enough I'd hear a little voice in back say "watch out dad I see the popo!"

• Haha
Reactions: RedBeard

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
7E7CAD88-EDD8-4BA0-B11D-10EE8D7B0C6B.jpeg

My parents got him the nugget for his birthday. We opened it early because they want you unboxing it ASAP. He’s only 11 months but loves this thing so far. He’s too little to arrange it himself, but spent most of the afternoon sending himself over the triangle pieces :rofl:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
View attachment 118197

My parents got him the nugget for his birthday. We opened it early because they want you unboxing it ASAP. He’s only 11 months but loves this thing so far. He’s too little to arrange it himself, but spent most of the afternoon sending himself over the triangle pieces :rofl:
I cant wait for all the kidsgettinghurt uploads.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Ours will be one next month. Once he realized he could stand while holding onto things he’s been going nuts just running around holding on to whatever he can. It’s kind of wild how fast he is. If he starts off holding something and we encourage him he can make it about 5 steps on his own before falling forwards and wiping out.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I got a lightly used Burley Encore bike trailer with the jogger attachment off FB marketplace. He has a 5 point harness and a cage but I think in this day and age it would be frowned upon for him to not wear a helmet also. So I ordered him a Giro scamp thinking he’d absolutely hate it and we’d never be able to use his trailer. Came in today and I can’t get him to take it off. It’s been unbuckled for half an hour and he’s just rampaging around with it on :rofl:

71149E7C-8B03-4503-89D6-7DB14FCDB318.jpeg

313CE66B-95CA-4539-A4E4-710323397479.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Marketplace has some deals. I inquired about a dlight with the suspension for $200 but it sold too fast. Got this encore with the bike and jogger attachments for $300. Had to drive out Frankfort but considering they’re $600 new and the joggers $150 I’m not mad. I think it’s cool that Burley offers all the replacement parts for models back to around 2010. Things as small as the wheel bearings and flag holder. His is a 2018 and you can get almost all the parts.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I wish my youngest would wear a helmet in the house. She’s crazy. Just walks off furniture and thinks it’s hilarious.
Owen loves to play "good luck daddy" and just falls forward expecting me to catch him falling face first off of furniture, the changing table, and the top of the stairs.

Kid's a damn daredevil.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Marketplace has some deals. I inquired about a dlight with the suspension for $200 but it sold too fast. Got this encore with the bike and jogger attachments for $300. Had to drive out Frankfort but considering they’re $600 new and the joggers $150 I’m not mad. I think it’s cool that Burley offers all the replacement parts for models back to around 2010. Things as small as the wheel bearings and flag holder. His is a 2018 and you can get almost all the parts.
Mine is a Thule something or other but honestly all the big names are pretty much the same quality. It’s insane how much they are new though.

Reactions: DanJ

Thread Info