đź’¬ OT TCG Florida crew throws hands with Hurricane Ian

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm stuck with finding a concrete company that will even come out to give me an estimate on tearing out my old pool deck and cage and putting in new concrete or, at least, a footer so I can do pavers. Companies don't return calls. They're all swamped with hurricane repairs now. It may take me a couple years to get my home fixed.

• Sad
Reactions: BS ISF and cdh027

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
The family house in FL was torn down and all debris removed. State paid for it all. Family got some $$ from insurance but nowhere near enough to rebuild plus all the houses now have to be built to a new much much more expensive standard. Probably going to sell the lot for a major loss and move on.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
The family house in FL was torn down and all debris removed. State paid for it all. Family got some $$ from insurance but nowhere near enough to rebuild plus all the houses now have to be built to a new much much more expensive standard. Probably going to sell the lot for a major loss and move on.
I was looking at properties for a friend last night who would like to buy and use a rental, many of the homes in that fort Myers area have been just gutted and left for the next person to worry about, and still want good money for them. It’s crazy.

Have not been into fort Myers beach area since Christmas, wonder on the beach front condos buildings and what’s happening with those.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
It’s a neighborhood of modular homes in Iona. Our place was shifted off its foundation enough that a few weeks after I was there a corner of the floor in the house caved in. Few of the neighbors are trying to sell gutted and condemned houses for a fortune or think they can save them which is crazy but I get it. The state was tearing down houses that are condemned by Ian for free but by trying to save them they loose out on free demo and debris disposal which is $9-$12k. The state will take the lot down to nothing too. Even the concrete gets removed and the lot gets filled, leveled, and seeded.

Last pictures I saw of the area it looks only marginally better than when I was down there.

Some good news.. the place my wife and I got married at on Sanibel is being rebuilt and open partial service and minimal capacity. so we may go there next year on our 6 year since we had to cancel our plans this year.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
It’s a neighborhood of modular homes in Iona. Our place was shifted off its foundation enough that a few weeks after I was there a corner of the floor in the house caved in. Few of the neighbors are trying to sell gutted and condemned houses for a fortune or think they can save them which is crazy but I get it. The state was tearing down houses that are condemned by Ian for free but by trying to save them they loose out on free demo and debris disposal which is $9-$12k. The state will take the lot down to nothing too. Even the concrete gets removed and the lot gets filled, leveled, and seeded.

Last pictures I saw of the area it looks only marginally better than when I was down there.

Some good news.. the place my wife and I got married at on Sanibel is being rebuilt and open partial service and minimal capacity. so we may go there next year on our 6 year since we had to cancel our plans this year.
Are any of the bare lots actually selling for stupid money or are they just listed and sitting?

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Okay quick check of the neighborhood and the empty lots are up for sale from $50k-100k and not a single sale there since the hurricane. Some at lots with clearly condemned houses on them and for whatever reason they want $130+ for it?!? Crazy.
It's the market we are entering into. If those lots were for sale in 2021/2022 they would probably have sold.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
It's the market we are entering into. If those lots were for sale in 2021/2022 they would probably have sold.
Makes sense. several people paid $220k or more in 2021 for these places. Also the neighborhood still looks like a disaster zone so I doubt anyone will want to buy one right now unless it was dirt cheap. Talked to my parents and the plan is to hold off selling for a bit and see what the market does and how the neighborhood recovers over the next few months once the houses have all been leveled and the area looks nicer. It’s still just lots of debris and junk everywhere.

Reactions: cdh027

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Downtown Ft Myers and some of the key Ft Myers Beach businesses are rebuilt, along with homes in which the owner paid for the rebuild in advance of the insurance check. However, there is still ample damage, abandoned / tore down structures, along with abandoned boats on the sides of the roadways and lots where they came to rest.

A lot of rebuilding /construction going on, along with empty lots for sale. A number of mobile homes where there was once homes.

I’ll post up more later.

1711376881713.jpeg

1711376897985.jpeg

1711377071657.jpeg

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Fair point. I was just thinking it it were the owner waiting on a payout or something, to re-do the house. But yea, that makes sense.
That’s also the a case for some as well, waiting for insurance to remodel.

Me personally i would have no problem knocking down a building that was wrecked by the hurricane and make it into a beach parking pay lot . Easy money. Especially if it’s across the street from the beach or on the beach. That is if the county will allow it.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Thread Info