đź“° Auto News Rivian and the $7,500 tax credit loophole

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
We've received quite a few inquiries from the Rivian community asking how the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) may impact your eligibility to obtain the $7,500 IRC 30D federal EV tax credit when you purchase your R1T or R1S. Here's what we know and how we plan to support our customers’ efforts to maintain eligibility for the federal EV tax credit.

The Inflation Reduction Act may soon become law.

Once signed into law, the Inflation Reduction Act will add new restrictions to buyers’ eligibility to receive the $7,500 IRC 30D federal EV tax credit. Under these new restrictions, an electric pick-up truck or SUV must be priced below $80,000 and the buyer must fall below certain income thresholds to qualify.

Fortunately, buyers who have a “written binding contract” to purchase a qualified EV before the Inflation Reduction Act becomes law will be able to apply under the current IRC 30D tax credit requirements.

What Rivian preorder and reservation holders can do.

If you’d like to sign a binding contract for your R1T or R1S purchase, click “Review and Accept” below. Signing the contract will make $100 of your existing $1,000 deposit non-refundable and help you to maintain eligibility to apply for the $7,500 tax credit under its current requirements. According to the Senate bill, any customer with a binding contract will not be subject to the new vehicle price and income restrictions when applying for the federal tax credit, regardless of the vehicle delivery date. We do want to caution that the final bill terms are not certain and have not yet been passed by the House of Representatives. Further, we cannot guarantee that the IRS will approve tax credit eligibility as we interpret the terms of the Inflation Reduction Act. However, we are offering our customers this opportunity as a way to do what we can to increase the probability of receiving the $7,500 IRC 30D tax credit.

When will the Inflation Reduction Act be enacted?

While we can’t predict exact timing nor guarantee it becomes law, this bill has already passed the Senate and will head to the House for a vote on Friday, August 12. All indications are that this legislation should pass the House and then be signed into law. Once signed, the Inflation Reduction Act is considered enacted.

Rivian customers interested in signing a binding contract may do so by clicking the button below and agreeing to the terms. Once the Inflation Reduction Act becomes law, customers will lose this chance and be subject to the new restrictions on vehicle price limits and personal income caps.

What happens if I decide to do nothing?

Taking this step is your choice. If you decide not to sign the binding order agreement, your Rivian deposit will remain under our existing fully refundable terms.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I bought my Tesla with ZERO tax credits as they already exceeded the limit by the time I got mine. If I can get a model Y for under 80 (so just a DM, no performance version) I’d be down as fuck for $7500 plus another $4000 from Illinois.

Iirc the income cap was like $400,000+ so looks like I won’t need to worry about that

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Hell, electricity (to charge one) and running water aren't too common around those parts either :rofl:
Ashton Kutcher Burn GIF

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The credit is dumb AF no matter how I look at it. EV owners tax the power grid at no real penalty (at least yet), don't pay excise tax on gasoline, are still allowed to use public roads, AND they're being given money? It's just agenda pushing nonsense. I do notice that EV plates in Illinois cost $100 more than a regular plate to make up for taxes so I guess there's that.... still dumb IMO. I have a hard enough time buying my own shit, I don't want to help everyone else buy theirs.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The credit is dumb AF no matter how I look at it. EV owners tax the power grid at no real penalty (at least yet), don't pay excise tax on gasoline, are still allowed to use public roads, AND they're being given money? It's just agenda pushing nonsense. I do notice that EV plates in Illinois cost $100 more than a regular plate to make up for taxes so I guess there's that.... still dumb IMO. I have a hard enough time buying my own shit, I don't want to help everyone else buy theirs.
By paying more for electricity, they are therefore paying more in taxes and delivery for electricity.

If there shouldn’t be EV tax credits the only fair compromise should be no tax breaks for petroleum companies either. I mean they should be able to support themselves at this point too right?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
By paying more for electricity, they are therefore paying more in taxes and delivery for electricity.

If there shouldn’t be EV tax credits the only fair compromise should be no tax breaks for petroleum companies either. I mean they should be able to support themselves at this point too right?
What

Energy companies are also subsidized, if i had to guess moreso than oil companies, but I don't care to look it up

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info