đź’¦ Detailing PPF cost vs DIY?

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
I just got a quote for 3M PPF. The price seems reasonable but is still expensive. This is from ztech automotive. I’ve done some vinyl wrap projects but the PPF looks a lot more difficult to install.
I’d prefer to DIY when I can but this might be worth paying the pros. Here is the quote.

3M PPF-Bumper ($550), Matte hood ($399), Rocker panels ($240/side), 1/4 panels ($250/panel).

Just under $2k for what I’d want.

Has anyone installed this yourself and how much of a pain in the ass is it?
Buying the product is probably about $500 to do a DIY install.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Eh, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Most ppf is between 8-10mil thick compared to vinyl which is 2mil. This (as well as other factors) make the install process much different and more difficult.

If you do decide to go diy I would recommend getting a precut kit for your car and working with that. The issue with this is if you mess up a panel you’re SOL. If you don’t go with a precut kit, you run the risk of cutting on the paint and causing serious damage.

Also with any ppf / vinyl job warranty is a big factor to consider. Most ppf I’ve had done or was quoted is warrantied by the shop so if something starts to yellow or peel in a year you have someone to go back to.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I would also take into consideration the type of car you are installing this on. If you are doing a good amount of flat panels vs say very intricate set of panels and ground effects that may be the deciding factor. I have xPel PPF on my cars one being a Ram 2500 and a 911 Turbo and the warranties are good. I have had the front PPF on my Ram replaced twice saving any point work but that truck sees alot of miles and highway driving.

Reactions: WhiteKnuckle

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I just got a quote for 3M PPF. The price seems reasonable but is still expensive. This is from ztech automotive. I’ve done some vinyl wrap projects but the PPF looks a lot more difficult to install.
I’d prefer to DIY when I can but this might be worth paying the pros. Here is the quote.

3M PPF-Bumper ($550), Matte hood ($399), Rocker panels ($240/side), 1/4 panels ($250/panel).

Just under $2k for what I’d want.

Has anyone installed this yourself and how much of a pain in the ass is it?
Buying the product is probably about $500 to do a DIY install.
Other this in I dont know if the 3M products are "self healing". Where suntec or xPel are., if you get a scuff in the PPF if will heal itself either sitting in direct sun for a few hrs or by use of a heat gun. But if you use a heat gun you better know what ur doing or you can melt through it.

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
shockerracing.com shockerracing.com, not sure if you have any insight into this.
I have not attempted PPF... yet! I am planning to do the hood on the Bronco myself. Honestly, it looks easier than vinyl wrap plus I have installed Clearplex(essentially PPF for your windshield) and it was pretty simple. The biggest thing for me is the paint prep prior to installing the PPF, you obviously want to make sure the paint is perfectly corrected.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info