đź’¬ OT âť„️ The Official TCG Complains about Snow Yearly Despite Living in the Midwest and it never snows here anyway.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It's like the drivers in the south, oh no! A plastic bag has floated across the road 1/4 mile away in front of me and there are two drops of rain on my windshield!!! PANIC BRAKE! FULL STOP!
giphy.gif

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Awd power slides are enjoyable

?
This is why I like the "Auto" on my truck's transfer case. It's fast enough to engage for traction, but not quite fast enough when you're apexing around a corner and stab the throttle. It'll let the back end kick out then engage then front wheels to provide forward momentum, while you keep the back end pointing in the wrong direction and freaking out both your passenger(s) and other vehicles. Isn't that what the side windows are for, to see where you're going?

Reactions: Aircal

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
This is why I like the "Auto" on my truck's transfer case. It's fast enough to engage for traction, but not quite fast enough when you're apexing around a corner and stab the throttle. It'll let the back end kick out then engage then front wheels to provide forward momentum, while you keep the back end pointing in the wrong direction and freaking out both your passenger(s) and other vehicles. Isn't that what the side windows are for, to see where you're going?

I turn traction control off

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I turn traction control off
My traction control are my feet. The truck doesn't have any TCS other than the person operating it. If you have a truck that's capable of selecting between 2WD & 4WD (Hi or Lo), you shouldn't need to have TCS.

Now my car has TCS, and it is usually disabled right after I start the car. Cause who doesn't like AWD powerslides? Amirite? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I am running the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (245/40R19) on my G37xS Coupe (they have 14 months and about 15,000 miles of wear) and have been pretty happy with them, even with the snow we're getting. When I know the commute is going to suck I give my girlfriend the keys to my Silverado, which is wearing Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventures with Kevlar (265/65R18), and an additional 500lbs of ballast in the bed, just in front of the rear axle. My commute is shorter than hers so the G does just fine. What I hate in both vehicles is the ABS. Once you start to slide while braking you're fucked. In a lot of cases I'd rather be able to lock the tires so they can dig down to pavement and bite, not slide across 0.25" of slush for three blocks.

The G37 used to wear some Falken Pro G4 pieces of shit that even when close to new they were shit scary even in a light summer rain. Worse tires I've ever had on a vehicle, which makes me surprised they get such a high rating.

Additionally, my friend has a 2014 or 2015 Q40 (rebadged G37) sedan who switched to the same Michelins the day before we got that snow on Halloween. He's been really happy with them during his 60+ mile a day commute. I think his are 225/55R17, so he has a little more sidewall flex for grip than I do.

Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA does a wheel & tire winter/summer swap on his FoRS. I forget which winter tires he uses, but I recall him stating they are great.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I need a a dedicated winter setup. These Dunlop all seasons are such shit. I should not be sliding as much as I do in the R.

Pilot Alpin 4's. Drives like a high performance all season with good steering response. I dive bombed the on-ramp on the way home yesterday and shot out over 110+ pedal buried the whole time.

They aren't as good as a full Snow/Ice stud-less or studdable tire, but way better than All Seasons could ever be.

The only thing is yeah, now you need another set of rims to hold them. So the initial expense is there. I usually just hit up tire rack and choose the lightest and best looking rim to me in the $100-$120 range. I really do like the Sport Edition P4's. When I bought the rims they were $105 each, but now they are $140 each.
se_p4_anth_pdpfull.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So..... is it going to like plummet in temps in the next hour? Because my dash says 43 degrees and it’s raining. Dunno how snow is supposed to start.

Yes. But not sure about the plummeting thing. I think the overnight low should be around 32*. It's not going to drop like it did last Saturday.

Thread Info