Official Cell Phone Service Thread

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Is it just you or do your kids have phones yet? That’s when it gets fun/expensive.

Funny u ask my son wanted a phone for Xmas and a iPhone 12 mini thru sprint unlimited was $70 a month with insurance that seemed high too me . Now thru T-Mobile on her plan same phone all unlimited was $40 with tax with insurance. I’m not sure why it was so different I’m thinking it was cause she has my daughter on her plan and mine is a single plan.

I will say this I’m liking the T-Mobile merger and they are finally handing over the T-Mobile deals too sprint customers.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Also new iPhones don’t come with chargers or head phones anymore. The new chargers are type C. I couldn’t find any mobile chargers at the bestbuy I went to. Hopefully new battery lasts me all day.
walmart, target.... shit i bet jewel has some too. look harder

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also, some phones won't use any wattage past a certain amount. I believe the 12 (12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro max) won't use more than 15w, and the 12 mini is capped at 12w. That might be for wireless now that I think about it.

I sometimes use my 29w MacBook 12" charger with a USB-C to Lightning cable to charge my iPhone 2020 SE, but it doesn't charge it to 100% in like 10 minutes, only so much the battery packs can take at once.

You just don't want to go too low. For example an older USB Type-A charger that is only 500mAH won't charge the phone at all. Most require a minimum of 1AH.

Side note, why Apple is still clinging on to the Lightning port for its phones is baffling. Pretty much every other flagship phone uses USB-C, which is far superior.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Also, some phones won't use any wattage past a certain amount. I believe the 12 (12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro max) won't use more than 15w, and the 12 mini is capped at 12w. That might be for wireless now that I think about it.

I sometimes use my 29w MacBook 12" charger with a USB-C to Lightning cable to charge my iPhone 2020 SE, but it doesn't charge it to 100% in like 10 minutes, only so much the battery packs can take at once.

You just don't want to go too low. For example an older USB Type-A charger that is only 500mAH won't charge the phone at all. Most require a minimum of 1AH.

Side note, why Apple is still clinging on to the Lightning port for its phones is baffling. Pretty much every other flagship phone uses USB-C, which is far superior.
Exactly. you can use more, like a 50w, but it will only charge max based on the device pulling the power

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
On Verizon now and it's been OK. It sucks at work though (I'm in a metal building)

This. Been with Verizon forever, and I feel like it does do better at getting signals in places where many others might struggle, EXCEPT for my building at work, which is more or less one big tin can. No one with verizon phones can get any signal in my building. And it's even worse inside my office. Its basically useless.

I've been giving T-mobile a try with their test drive program. (I dont know why more carriers don't do this) They basically give you a wireless hotspot to try out for 30 days or 30 gigs, whichever comes first, completely for free. You don't even have to return the hotspot once the trial is over if you dont want to, but it essential becomes a brick once your time is up. And w/ this thing I get a perfect signal in my office. I can stream music, websites load quick, etc. So I'm thinking after my trial is over I MIGHT just seek out a data only plan w/ t-mobile to use at work, cuz Verizon is useless in my building.

Im still on 4G w/ verizon so I don't know if upgrading to a 5G phone would be any better or worse for my situation

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
This. Been with Verizon forever, and I feel like it does do better at getting signals in places where many others might struggle, EXCEPT for my building at work, which is more or less one big tin can. No one with verizon phones can get any signal in my building. And it's even worse inside my office. Its basically useless.

I've been giving T-mobile a try with their test drive program. (I dont know why more carriers don't do this) They basically give you a wireless hotspot to try out for 30 days or 30 gigs, whichever comes first, completely for free. You don't even have to return the hotspot once the trial is over if you dont want to, but it essential becomes a brick once your time is up. And w/ this thing I get a perfect signal in my office. I can stream music, websites load quick, etc. So I'm thinking after my trial is over I MIGHT just seek out a data only plan w/ t-mobile to use at work, cuz Verizon is useless in my building.

Im still on 4G w/ verizon so I don't know if upgrading to a 5G phone would be any better or worse for my situation
My experience with Verizon “5G” is it usually slows way down and doesn’t work :rofl:

You don’t have wifi access at work?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Sooo I either have to have my phone on wifi or data, not both. If it's both, I don't get/can't send texts or calls.

Absolutely rediculous
Similar issue with my pixel. I may have a solution for you though.

Turn off wifi calling.

In android settings, go to about and find "build number" click it 6 or so times for it to say "developer mode unlocked"
Capture+_2021-04-13-06-59-17.png

Then after that is on, youll have a new setting menu called "developer options". Turn " keep cell active always" on.

Capture+_2021-04-13-06-59-43.png

• Love
Reactions: DEEZUZ

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Similar issue with my pixel. I may have a solution for you though.

Turn off wifi calling.

In android settings, go to about and find "build number" click it 6 or so times for it to say "developer mode unlocked"
View attachment 86155

Then after that is on, youll have a new setting menu called "developer options". Turn " keep cell active always" on.

View attachment 86156
Just did this Thank you!

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
My experience with Verizon “5G” is it usually slows way down and doesn’t work :rofl:

You don’t have wifi access at work?

Our internet at work can barely run the systems we need to use every day for our jobs. If everyone started connecting their phones to it we'd crash the whole system. It's a complete and utter joke. Guess I'll be picking up t-mobile :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info