Android Official Android Thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Okay, another question. Home screen, the area for the "sticky" icons (phone, messages, chrome, camera). Those don't have text for the icons either, but if you drag the apps from the drawer on to the home screen they do. Any way to either get the text to show on the sticky buttons, or just turn off sticky icons so that row can be reclaimed for other icons? Like, basically replacing them with the ones from the app draw that actually show the text?
Download nova launcher and make it default launcher. In nova settings you can change all that

Reactions: Mook

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Nova launcher installed. Instant improvement. Oddly, for sharing photos, it did show a whole string of options. I changed something now it doesn't even show Messages as an option even though I have it enabled. Like most of the immediate options disappeared (bluetooth, print, etc). No idea why.

Thoughts?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Nova launcher installed. Instant improvement. Oddly, for sharing photos, it did show a whole string of options. I changed something now it doesn't even show Messages as an option even though I have it enabled. Like most of the immediate options disappeared (bluetooth, print, etc). No idea why.

Thoughts?
Download simple gallery. Stock photo app probably reliant on stock Android launcher

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Thoughts?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I lost the options before installing Nova, so should be something else. What's dumb is that even if you "pin" the sharing option(s) the still don't show on the initial sharing screen. You have to bring up all the sharing options to see them. So what should be one step is two steps. Doesn't seem right.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So Google's new icon redesign.....is FUCKING GARBAGE. WHAT CRACKPOT MARKETING MANAGER THOUGHT IT LOOKED GREAT?????

are_you_sure_you_wan.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So, did some digging. From the Photo app, the initial options of how to share are dynamic based off the last and most frequent method you use. That sucks donkeyballs. The "social media share" option, which OOB is only Duo (not sure what it is) and Messages, and is for the Camera app. So when you take the photo you tap the review button and the little menu that pops upwards shows you the "social media share" options only (Duo, Message). You have to tap the photo a second time for it to launch in the Photo app to then dick around with how to share it.

If she hadn't been using an Android table for the last year to help her with the learning curve I really think she'd have gotten an iPhone SE instead. Maybe I'll give the Pixel 4a to the g/f and get the mom an iPhone, lol.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So, did some digging. From the Photo app, the initial options of how to share are dynamic based off the last and most frequent method you use. That sucks donkeyballs. The "social media share" option, which OOB is only Duo (not sure what it is) and Messages, and is for the Camera app. So when you take the photo you tap the review button and the little menu that pops upwards shows you the "social media share" options only (Duo, Message). You have to tap the photo a second time for it to launch in the Photo app to then dick around with how to share it.

If she hadn't been using an Android table for the last year to help her with the learning curve I really think she'd have gotten an iPhone SE instead. Maybe I'll give the Pixel 4a to the g/f and get the mom an iPhone, lol.
Once it's setup I think she will be fine. You can also just have her add/attach the picture to a message within duo/messaging instead of using the share feature through gallery. Makes it so she doesn't have to go between apps

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have the Duo disabled since no one else in the family has it installed. Just being able to send via Message is a start. But would be really nice if you could add Gmail to the quick list as well. Cause sending full res images via SMS is going to compress the shit out of them. Being able to one tap send them via Mail (like iOS) would be a huge improvement. That's one huge oversight on Google's part.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I have the Duo disabled since no one else in the family has it installed. Just being able to send via Message is a start. But would be really nice if you could add Gmail to the quick list as well. Cause sending full res images via SMS is going to compress the shit out of them. Being able to one tap send them via Mail (like iOS) would be a huge improvement. That's one huge oversight on Google's part.
Download signal or what's app or something like that. They support full res and encryption

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
what is graphene?

Android minus all the google crap, since Android itself is a full blown OS without the google flavor. Even "Android" on google phones is not "Pure android", it is pure google android.

GrapheneOS is an privacy and security focused mobile OS with Android app compatibility developed as a non-profit open source project.

GrapheneOS will never include either Google Play services or another implementation of Google services like microG. Those are not part of the Android Open Source Project and are not required for baseline Android compatibility. Apps designed to run on Android rather than only Android with bundled Google apps and services already work on GrapheneOS, so a huge number of both open and closed source apps are already available for it.

Thread Info