Drag to reposition cover

NEW RIDE My Quest for a Skyline R34 GT-R

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Apparently with enough money, you can bring in as many illegal R34s as you want.

OP
willizm

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Apparently with enough money, you can bring in as many illegal R34s as you want.

Yeah it’s either going to result in nothing happening or a big crack down and then those cars being exported and permanently blacklisted. It’s a shitty thing if that happens because it’s going to royally f over people in the future caught up with unknowingly buying blacklisted cars until they are imported again. Very shady and self serving bullshit that guys like this will do now acting like their above it. Maybe this one is being brought into Canada. I dunno

IceCreamAssassin

Drive Safe, Don’t Rape
Donating Member
Reaction score
It says North America, they are legal in Canada right now correct?

OP
willizm

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Well we found a white nismo gauge cluster to put in the car. Nismo no longer makes these so we had to find a used one which we did with appx 2k kilometers on it. These things go for about 5k in the us so we got a pretty good deal on it. What they do in Japan is they don’t program the existing mileage but if you bring it to Nissan they will give you a certificate basically stating when you have the cluster swapped and how much was on the existing cluster along with updating the system so that you can avoid having a “tampered mileage” flag thrown. Good to have this done while in Japan as Nissan NA doesn’t do this to the best of my knowledge.

Other parts are on order…

B7020780-B08F-4602-9F3B-28A9AD3EB49F.jpeg

612549BB-4FA2-4236-ACAE-A450BC808D70.jpeg

248BB6B4-2F77-478D-87B2-FD760DA6E5A7.jpeg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Dude is in the US but forget where. His collection is insane.

OP
willizm

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Dude is in the US but forget where. His collection is insane.

I bet his car collection is badass. I’ve heard of this guy and no doubt he’s got some great investments going on there.

This sold at auction last night. Nuts

200F8575-4577-499F-8E33-5CA7376C6201.jpeg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
So school me here, as someone who has gone through the process you've probably looked into this more closely. Why can't the car be shipped to the US and held locally in private storage (aka your garage), kept in your garage till its legal. Isn't the legality issue with public road use and registration?

If the car were never used on public roads, never registered, and only transported to/from events on private property wouldn't that technically be legal?

I'm considering its use case like I would a "race car". Its not illegal to own a NASCAR, even if its illegal to drive it on public roads. But nothing illegal about towing it to say Road America, doing an even there, and transporting it back to storage.

OP
willizm

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
So school me here, as someone who has gone through the process you've probably looked into this more closely. Why can't the car be shipped to the US and held locally in private storage (aka your garage), kept in your garage till its legal. Isn't the legality issue with public road use and registration?

If the car were never used on public roads, never registered, and only transported to/from events on private property wouldn't that technically be legal?

I'm considering its use case like I would a "race car". Its not illegal to own a NASCAR, even if its illegal to drive it on public roads. But nothing illegal about towing it to say Road America, doing an even there, and transporting it back to storage.
I think it’s due to federal vs state/local so I see it as two different processes to import the car. First is the federal import through customs which is most concerning because it’s likely the federal government will seize the car regardless if it is or isn’t registered to whatever state you live in. As for the state they probably don’t care as much as the feds would. Keep in mind the federal government controls all of customs so even if you could get the state to be fine with you garaging the car it won’t be fine in the feds point of view. Some people will have the car stored in Canada and then import once it’s 25 years old to speed up the shipping/delivery process.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Getting it past the state is fairly easy, as seen by all the illegal ones floating around. You can get away with it but if youre caught by the feds, game over....and they dont fuck around.

OP
willizm

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Getting it past the state is fairly easy, as seen by all the illegal ones floating around. You can get away with it but if youre caught by the feds, game over....and they dont fuck around.
This is true. Florida would let you title and plate a sea turtle if one were so inclined to rip one down the freeway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom