Beater Volvo 240 and it's quest against the odds to visit all 50 states

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Let's start from the beginning. Shall we? I apologize in advance for the crappy old Blackberry pictures.

It's 2012. I love playing with cars even though I have no money. My '86 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe had recently turned itself into a Firebird...
Death 19.jpg
Death 18.jpg

...so I'm looking for a cheap car that I can screw around with while attending SIU Carbondale. I had a close friend who was daily driving a '94 Volvo 960 that he bought with a broken timing belt for $200. After just shaving the head and replacing a couple valves, he crossed his fingers, threw a belt on it, and never looked back. That car was the cheapest tank I had ever seen, and that was exactly what I needed. The following summer I bought this to relieve daily duties from the LeSabre. 1989 Volvo 245 DL
4.jpg
11.jpg

6.jpg
5.jpg

I'm not a stance boi by any means. However, there was something about a slammed Volvo that I just screamed asshat and it was too cool not to buy it. If i remember right I also bought this one for $1000. I immediately threw an O2 sensor in it and started driving it everywhere. I loved every sub-100HP, non AC having second.

I drove it from SIU to the twin cities for a long weekend of camping with buddies, a spontaneous trip to Lansing, Michigan ALONE (looking back on it that wasn't very smart), and many exploratory cruises around Southern IL, Southeast MO, and Western KY. The car never skipped a beat. I just kept doing little mods to make it more comfortable and enjoyable to drive.
12.jpg
14.jpg

25.jpg

38.jpg

32.jpg

36.jpg

54.jpg

82.jpg

88.jpg
89.png

95.jpg

I built my own custom coil overs to replace the cut springs. These weren't great, but worlds better than what was there. lol
Coilovers 3.jpg

Yes, I was still in college.
Coilovers 10.jpg

Coilovers 13.jpg
Coilovers 14.jpg

PBR Grille 1.jpg

This was about the peak for this car (during my ownership). Then it left me stranded for the first time ever.
Stranded.jpg

I was about halfway home from moving out of Carbondale when everything started to shut down. My alternator was shot. Luckily my grandma lives in Champaign, so I had it towed to her place and gave her a surprise visit! There was a Napa with my alternator in stock, so she took me there, I did the swap, and I went home.

Then I started my job in Indiana. The car did great while I settled into my apartment for a couple weeks. During a drive back home the car screwed me over AGIAN. This time I was nowhere near anybody I knew. A nice stranger asked if I needed any help. I explained the situation and he let me use his shop which was right around the corner. I was super grateful. The problem this time was that my alternator tensioner bolt sheared off flush with the block. There was no fixing that in a night, so I actually zip tied the alternator to the sway bar mount and continued 100 miles home. I just stopped once to pull the zip tie another couple clicks. I'm still amazed at how well that worked.

It was then that I decided to LS swap it. That was the beginning of the end for the poor car. After about a year of buying parts I would never get to use and finding rust left and right the car ultimately ended up in the scrap yard.
what have I done.jpg

Rest in pieces, Olga. I never forgave myself for destroying a car that was so good to me especially since it was still running and driving with over 400k miles on it. When my girlfriend started bitching about how much she hated her Saab I knew exactly what she needed.

He's coming home!.jpg

She bought this nearly identical car in the summer of 2019 knowing the story of Olga. Now we both aren't sure if that was the best idea.

Moose isn't living in Olga's shadow. After getting it home we parked it for a few days so I could do a timing belt, water pump, and front shaft seals. Then I gave it the "OK". She immediately took it on a long trip back to her folks place and met me at a cruise-in later that day. When she got to the cruise night the car was leaking water all over the place and steaming like crazy. It was super embarrassing for both of us although kinda funny looking back on it. I walked over to the nearest store for a gallon of water, filled the radiator back up, and limped it over to my buddies house to redo the water pump. There's a stupid o-ring on the back that seals the heater pipe which I didn't get seated quite right. This allowed water to spray directly onto the exhaust manifold. Hence, the steam. The situation could have been much worse, and it would have been all my fault. However, we both lucked out. This still wasn't a great start to the Moose story.

Then we had a bigger problem. I got a complaint that the brakes were feeling funny. The first thing I noticed was that half of the reservoir was empty. Then I saw this.
Rusty octopus.jpg

The 240s braking system was a cool idea. The front and rear hydraulics are completely separate, so in theory if you have a blow out in the front you will still have rear brakes indefinitely and vise versa. It's also supposed to turn on the brake light when that happens. Somebody before me has clearly unhooked that wire though. Shady. Very shady, and not cool.

Well this over-complicated "octopus" as us Volvo people call it is the problem. It's what fails and causes the leak. I decided to upgrade this with fairly rare parts. In 1991 non-ABS cars, there was a solid octopus, so it fully separated the front and rear brakes with solid brass. Then there was a brake light switch on the reservoir cap. Sweet.

Let's be real though, this is the midwest. It's never that easy. The octopus went in without a fight, but bleeding the system didn't go well. Three new calipers, 4 new bubble flares, one new line, hours of wire wheeling and repainting parts, and a couple weeks of cleaning up brake fluid soaked undercoating later it's done!
240 distribution block.jpg
New octopus.jpg

Completed brakes.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
New octopus 2.jpg

While bleeding brakes in the back I made a discovery that I couldn't just forget. It had already been down for a couple weeks. What's a couple more?
11-19 1.jpg
11-19 2.jpg

Quarter patch 1.jpg
Quarter patch 5.jpg

Wheel well patch 1.jpg
Quarter patch 8.jpg

Before filler and paint 11-19.jpg

Base coat.jpeg

Done!  12-10-19.jpg

I'm happy I got this done, but there's a lot more rust where that came from...

OD is out 2-20.jpg

Fun fact: Volvo 240s with automatics still retain shift lights. They just mean something different. There's a button on the shifter that turns overdrive off. The up light either means that OD is off or the function has failed. The dumb part is that when it fails it fails in the off position. ?‍♂️

I don't see the point in having this at all, so I decided to just do away with it in order to prevent future failures.
OD solenoid.jpg
OD solenoid delete 2.jpg

OD solenoid delete 1.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Then there's today's escapade that prompted me to start typing. Allie and I had Valentine's Day planned all week, so getting this snapped to me in the morning was already giving me a bad feeling about how those plans were going to work out.
Snap from odd day.png

She got to work no problem, so I didn't think much of it. At the end of the day I met here at her office from where we were supposed to go to dinner. Guess what. The 240 won't start. It cranks and sputters, but just won't come to life. Now we're both upset.

If my hands are this dirty while driving my daily, it's probably a bad day.
life be that way.jpeg

We went home to dress warmer, get tools, lights, spare parts, and buy plugs. At this point I already knew it was an ignition problem because the car reeked of gas after trying to start it few times. I just didn't know which part was causing it. Then we get back to to the car....

Keep in mind that I had not touched anything and this is what I found as I arrived on the scene. Excuse my language...

Now this would be beyond weird if the car didn't have an aftermarket remote start. lmao I must have accidentally pressed the button as we were rolling into the parking lot, but still... why on earth did it just HAPPEN to start all of a sudden? I guess we'll find out tomorrow. No fancy dinner for us, but real life Roadkill, take-out pizza, beer, and a movie was still a pretty good Valentines Day for me!

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
That's hot.

Your underside looks like it's in really good shape from the pics, aside from the butt cheek you fixed. Love these cars. It's funny in the PNW how many of them are still left and how good of condition.... The Salt Boss gets everybody in the end around here.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
That's hot.

Your underside looks like it's in really good shape from the pics, aside from the butt cheek you fixed. Love these cars. It's funny in the PNW how many of them are still left and how good of condition.... The Salt Boss gets everybody in the end around here.
Thanks! It's pretty good for a Midwestern 240, but it's received its fair share of love. The floors have been cut out and replaced at some point, and there's still some rust that anybody has yet to address properly. I say properly because the quarter panel that I have not fixed yet has RTV smeared all over the inside of it. ? We all know how great that is for it. All things considered though, the car as a whole is in great shape for a 31 year old daily driver. I'm glad that it didn't get the cut spring treatment like the first one. lol

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Apologies in advance for the lack of pictures.

After our ruined Valentine's Day I needed to take some sort of action. Although I wasn't 100% convinced that the no start issue wasn't because of a glitch in the remote starter, I had no way of finding out since everything had worked just fine since the incident. Figures.

The first thing I realized was that since buying this car it has not received an ignition tune-up. My 240 gave me the same sort of trouble when the cap and rotor were worn out, so Allie and I made a $25 trip to Advance, and the results were positive. The plugs looked like they were making a good burn, but for many many miles. I was also carefully trying to feel for contact between the distributor cap button and the rotor, but I couldn't. Once I installed the new parts you could positively feel the spring loaded cap button hit the rotor before bottoming out on the distributor. (y) I think I can chalk this issue up to overdue maintenance.

The car had some ugly but brand new spark plug wires on it when we got it. I always hated popping the hood to see those blue wires that were way too long. Well since I accidentally broke one during removal anyway, I decided to try using the old Volvo branded wires that came in a box of parts with the car. I will probably try to replace these later since they appear to be very used, but they still look so good! The car also runs so much smoother that I was proud enough to take a little video.

Another massive update:
Visor clip 1.jpg
Visor clip 2.jpg

Exciting right?! It's all in the details ?? ...but seriously. For me a car can run and drive amazingly forever, but stacking up little annoyances like these can make me hate a car too. It's important to stay on top of the unimportant things too!

At the end of the day, we finally got our fancy dinner. I think I restored Allie's faith in the car as well.
Late Valentines Day.jpg
Food.jpg

Since we traded cars for today, Allie has school until 10PM, and the temps are supposed to be up to 50 I'm really tempted to try knocking out the trans and motor mounts tonight. We'll see.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
This cluster has bee a PITA, but I recently had a small win while I was removing the "up" light.

This little metal bar was bent over enought to where it was touching the two spades next to it. FYI those spades are what give the cruise controller it's speed signal. I have no idea how something on the back of the cluster got disturbed in such a way, but I knew it wasn't supposed to be that way. I straightened it out a bit (as pictured), pulled the "up" bulb, and reinstalled the cluster. What do you know? This sucker has working dealer added cruise control now!

Fun fact: Volvo never installed cruise control on 240s from the factory. It was a Volvo accessory that came with it's own service manual. It makes servicing it thirty years later sort of a guessing game, because this accessory is pretty rare now.
bent bar.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Moose finally quit being so whiny. In fact, he's better than ever.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that the Volvo is a sports car or anything like that, but it's a really nice relief not needing to put the pedal to the metal every time you need to accelerate. It's almost like driving a normal car after that ignition tune-up! Now we can start doing normal car stuff like driving it regularly and washing it. I should have taken a before picture. I hadn't seen such white looking black walls in my life.
Car wash 2-20.jpg

What are the odds? Volvos are not very common in Southern Indiana, but two blue wagons parked next to each other? That's a treat!
With lil bro Bleeew 2 3-20.jpg

With lil bro Bleeew 1 3-20.jpg

BLEEEW.jpg

I have to admit. His license plate really bothers me. I get it. The car is literally blue to normies, but this is a huuuuge missed opportunity to be witty. For you non-Volvo people out there, Volvo calls this color "Swedish Racing Green" :ROFLMAO:

Coming back from Greensburg 3-20.jpg

I really want to swap this car with an L67 or something. However, it's not my car, so I don't make the rules. It's my girlfriend's daily, so if it continues to be good to her it needs to be left alone! Besides, I agree that it's kinda hard to betray an engine that's been ticking along like this for 211k. It's hard for me to overlook the power potential AND the fuel economy gains in a swap though. This car is very disappointing for a 2.3L. It gets 21 mpgs no matter what.

Reactions: Eagle

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Wait are you the guy who had (if I remember correctly) some parts to swap a 3800 into a 240 and a manual steering rack for sale on TB a while ago? Or was that just a different TB'er in southern IN?
hmmm that would be strange if it wasn't me. I'm volvowagoon on tbricks, and I do have a 3800 swap "kit". I don't think I ever tried to sell it no have I ever had a manual steering rack though.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
hmmm that would be strange if it wasn't me. I'm volvowagoon on tbricks, and I do have a 3800 swap "kit". I don't think I ever tried to sell it no have I ever had a manual steering rack though.
Ok I must be thinking of somebody else in southern IN then.... Not 100% sure anymore the 3800 kit I saw was down that way but the manual rack was (but somebody jumped on that before I could). This was several years ago anyway. Oh well thought it was worth asking.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm excited that my thread was worthy of a spot on the facebook page!

I wish you could see the excited expression on my girlfriends face. She was so excited to see me.
Allie's home! 3-20.jpg

After conversing and exchanging old pictures with two previous owners of Olga (neither of which I'd met until today) my 240 enthusiasm is fully rekindled. Once I get the Camaro back into the daily circuit, I might try really hard to work out a Volvo for Volvo trade. Then I'd probably try to sell the Camaro in favor of a newer truck. I love my Camaro project, but I can't overlook the fact that it's shell is a wreck. I know the ins and outs of this Volvo and it's pretty darn solid. I think a turbo 3800 swap with AC, some tasteful wheels, and nice coilovers would be awesome in this wagon. Who knows where my mind will go next week though.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Moose is in need of attention again. I have to hand him a bit of credit though. He hasn't asked for much since early spring, so it's time to start dealing with the less essential stuff. One thing I forgot to mention was that I knocked out a speaker downgrade in January. Anybody who knows Volvos know that the older factory sound systems suck. Somebody tried to address that but failed. I didn't necessarily fix it, but I turned one problem into a different one.

There are no aftermarket speakers that fit in the stock door card. That's just the nature of the beast. You can either hack up the door card and make it look like crap or get crafty. Luckily somebody before me got kinda crafty, but my girlfriend hated how they looked and sounded. It's her car, so I did what I could to make it better.
1590963588647.png
1590963600846.png

The installer made these adapter/spacer plates out of wood. They didn't work very well. Notice that the aftermarket speaker was damaged in order for it to fit, but it's better than hacking up the door card. Sadly, I really don't know how this could even be improved upon. There are some nice aluminum adapter brackets that are designed to look like a factory speaker bracket and grille, but they were way too expensive in my opinion.
1590963797147.png
1590963820742.png

I went with a slight upgrade over stock. These are 5 1/4" speakers out of a newer 240. They fit in the same hole as the factory 4" speakers, and only a stock speaker bracket is required.
1590964222086.png
1590964206582.png

One of the old grilles arrived damaged, but these things are still in amazing shape otherwise. They tend to fall apart, so hopefully these don't suffer the same fate in the near future. This is nothing that a little JB couldn't handle anyway.
1590964351771.png
1590964393419.png

We both think the look turned out great even though the sound is still pretty poor. '89 240s only had two 4" speakers in the front doors. That's it! We do not expect these 27+ year old paper coned speakers to hold up to our jams, but so far they're better than the rattly ones we removed. The worst part is that the resistance rating doesn't jive with the aftermarket head unit. You have to turn the volume up a lot to make a noticeable difference, but this is kind of just extra insurance for those paper cones!
1590964430228.png

Thread Info