🔧 BUILD Jeff's Cookie Cutter Kitty and Porsche Killer Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
You still have stock tensioner on it??
The spring tensioner is a billet Whipple. I also have an adjustable idler pulley that can be used to dial in the tension on the spring unit. Whipple states it should be ay 80%. Last year I had it set probably about 75ish and I would get just a little belt dust, but like I said I thought I was getting a touch of belt slip on shifts, so this year I added a bunch of preload on the spring tensioner. Its probably at like 95% of its travel right now.
Too much tension is no bueno. Can you add more wrap by adding an additional idler pulley into the mix and getting a different belt?
The belt wrap is pretty good actually. Im going to set the tensioner back to 80% and see what happens. I just figured a little more tension on the belt would help things. Obviously not because Im melting the belt now...lol. Maybe the Griptec pulley will help as well? Think Im going to send my Whipple 3.375 to get the carbonite treatment as well. Really don't want to spend $1800 on a 10 rib setup if I dont have to...

Reactions: greasy

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Im givin' her all she's got captain!!! Lol

Finally got around to pulling the belt and blower pulley today. Holy hell the belt was fried! Gonna send the Whipple 3.375 pulley out for carbinite treatment and switch to the Griptec 3.25 when the new belts come along with setting the tensioner to the Whipple recommended 80%.

20200505_144028.jpg

20200505_144042.jpg

20200505_145033.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Are you able to check deflection of the belt on its longest straight?

Belts stretch quickly with that tension and heat. If all you are doing is measuring 80% travel of a stationary tensioner when the belt stretches you loose that tension and grip. Could be causing it to slip and heat up the belt like that.

Those fleet belts are much better at reducing stretch but will still stretch.

Reactions: Jeffs FRC

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Are you able to check deflection of the belt on its longest straight?

Belts stretch quickly with that tension and heat. If all you are doing is measuring 80% travel of a stationary tensioner when the belt stretches you loose that tension and grip. Could be causing it to slip and heat up the belt like that.

Those fleet belts are much better at reducing stretch but will still stretch.
I think the problem is just that I messed with my manual tension pulley and set the spring tensioner way too tight(95% of its travel). I didnt have this problem last year when I had it set to the Whipple recommended 80%. I guess maybe they do know their shit and I should stick with what they say to do...lol

And yea Im running the Gates HD green belts when on the E85 pulley.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Yea at 15 its gonna be into the 900 zone possibly
Uh no. Probably in the 850 range.
Looks HAWT.....

I guess gap sauce is back on the menu?
I doubt it, our cars will still be close Id bet. Although Im wondering if all that belt melting had me not at 100%. Only one way to find out! Lol

Also, make sure to let me know when you hit dyno up.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
So before I put my 3.375 pulley on this year, I decided to add a bit of tension to the belt because last year it felt like I would get a touch of belt slip between shifts. Well I think the added tension didnt work so well because on the cruise we did last week it was like I smelled a little burnt rubber but thought nothing of it. Today I pop the hood and notice chunks of belt on the hood and around a few other places. Also looks like the ribbed side of the belt is glazed over. Would too much tension cause adverse effects?View attachment 56852

View attachment 56853

that’s what belt slip normally looks like

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city

I doubt it, our cars will still be close Id bet. Although Im wondering if all that belt melting had me not at 100%. Only one way to find out! Lol

If it was slipping you definitely weren’t at 100% I ran my car at the 1/2 mile it slipped a little I hit the 155 limiter about 200 feet out from the finish line, the next pass it only went 140 the belt was slipping worse, I put a bigger pulley on to try and stop the slip and it went 155 on the limiter again, you could have been down 50-100hp with decent belt slip judging by the dust it was pretty decent

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

Ok I wanna go when the summer corn hits....for maximum dick measuring.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
If it was slipping you definitely weren’t at 100% I ran my car at the 1/2 mile it slipped a little I hit the 155 limiter about 200 feet out from the finish line, the next pass it only went 140 the belt was slipping worse, I put a bigger pulley on to try and stop the slip and it went 155 on the limiter again, you could have been down 50-100hp with decent belt slip judging by the dust it was pretty decent
Hopefully the new belt, pulley, and tensioner set back to what Whipple calls for, fixes me up real nice!
Ok I wanna go when the summer corn hits....for maximum dick measuring.
If your currently hitting max commanded timing, there's no extra power to be made. Lets get dyno'd!!!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I am verifying through my tuner on if the car will see more timing on the better corn. In theory since I am flex I would think the tables would adjust based on the higher ethanol content, but I am not sure.

Reactions: Shawn1112
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info