ICM Interchangability

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I was going to copy bs009 bs009, and modify my spare ICM for a future WOT box install because no lift shifting would be pretty tits. Once I opened mine up, I noticed it looked a lot different from his. I got it for free from a friend who was cleaning out his schools shop. It was supposed to be from the engine he gave me, but it could also be from a 3100. Does anybody know what the difference is between them? Externally they look identical, but maybe the 60 degree unit produces a weaker spark? I'll probably just toss this unless somebody knows for sure that it will work just fine.
1630072801787.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Don't the 3100/3400 ICMs have multiple harnesses on them?

Not sure how to tell what that one's from, but I took apart two different ICMs that I had and both looked the same underneath
I have seen multi-harness version you're talking about. I guess I'm only going off rockauto stock photos to base my assumptions about looking the same. Lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The non 3800 icm's have several connectors on them the 3800 icm's have one single long connector. However there are a couple of different versions of the 3800 i c m one of them does not work with a car equipped with the 18x trigger and only works with the older 3x trigger cranks.

First things first what color is The Grommet where the electrical connector is.

Reactions: v6buicks

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It's a darker red than those coil grommets?

The orange grommet means it's the oem i c m if you see green or redish it's an aftermarket and is garbage in my eyes.

I've had so many issues with aftermarket icm's over the years that I honestly suggest going to the junkyard and getting a good used OEM One. Make sure the grommet is orange

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's a darker red than those coil grommets?

The orange grommet means it's the oem i c m if you see green or red it's an aftermarket and is garbage in my eyes.

I've had so many issues with aftermarket icm's over the years that I honestly suggest going to the junkyard and getting a good used OEM One. Make sure the grommet is orange
They're the same color of orangish. In that case would you say to try it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list