I think I might have a slight problem......

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
Well after a week of not driving the cobra i decided to take it out for a ride. Ever since the header install I was convinced I had a leak somwhere, collector or on heads. I took it out and inside the car smelled fine, no smell at all. But when I opened up the hood and revved the engine I could smell exhuast fumes. Not really really strong but you could definatly tell theres a leak somwhere. How should I check where there is a leak??? I tighted the header bolts as hard as I could and I just cant seem to think there could be a leak by the heads. Is is possible that I could be smelling the fumes from the collector????? Thanks!!

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
The way i found an elusive leak on my Trans Am headers...Wait until cold start car and IMMEDIATELY move your bare hands along the headers collectors etc as close to them without touching them as possible. You should be able to feel the air pressure pushing out through the leak. But hurry they will get hot pretty quick!

It might take a couple of tries but it worked for me.........Lyle

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I had a problem sort of like what your going through but it was in my 5 oh! I went through everything 10 times befor I took off the MAC long tubes and measured the thickness and found out that one was warped. I had to grind it down very carefully. It fixed my problem!!

However, I had a small tic and knew that it was the flange. I wrenched everything I could to fix the leak without success. I even tried two gaskets befor grinding. If you have no tic at the header flange you dont have a leak there.

#1 Check all your hoses and tubes after the install from hell :confused:
#2 Hope for some cold weather so you can see the exhust leak :dunno:
#3 At night, when its cold use flashlight you may be able to see it :headbang:
#4 When the engine cold, use your hands right away to sweep the aeras of fitment. :alcoholic

#5 Get your car on a lift :biggthump

P.S.
NOT running cats, you may be smelling the excess unburnt fumes that you may not be use to :eek:

Good luck

KTs03

King of Fools
Mar 10, 2004
How to find a header leak:

1) Fill spray bottle with water and a bit of dish soap.
2) Start engine
3) Spray water on flanges, collectors, etc. Anywhere it could leak
4) Look for air bubbles. The leaking exhaust gas will cause the soapy water to bubble.

Or you could use Snoop. But I wouldn't know where to find that stuff.

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
They were leaking on the head becuase of bad gaskets that I put on(cardboard ones). They are now off the car but im looking to put them on in a few weeks or so. Maybe someone can stop by and show me how to drop the K member since I will be doing that this time unlike last time!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info